Topics

Best Halloweek

• taokaka - November 1, 2012 4:19 p.m.

Just playing the demo of resident evil: revelations is scarier than slender. Even just looking at a screen shot of lone survivor is scarier than slender. Hell, even dead space 3 looks scarier than .......... I just can't do it, that would be taking it way too far. But anyway you get my point, slender should at least be lower on the list.
  • KadajMetal - November 1, 2012 4:40 p.m.

Lone Survivor is actually pretty scary
  • r.c.leclaire - November 1, 2012 11:12 p.m.

Lone Survivor was just on sale on Steam, so I picked it up - and I must agree with you wholly. Great game, very creepy and atmospheric.
  • SDHoneymonster - November 1, 2012 4:40 p.m.

Agree with this man. FEAR also isn't scary - creepy ghost girls are nothing when you've got REACTIONS OFF THE CHARTS (or slo-mo bullet-time, whatever you like to call it).
  • PoisonWar - November 1, 2012 4:31 p.m.

Come on guys... Slender? I'd easily replace that with SCP Containment Breach, if we have to add in a free indie game. I did not see Penumbra on the list :o
  • Aarononymous - November 1, 2012 4:37 p.m.

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the World was pretty damn scary.
  • Turtman - November 1, 2012 4:50 p.m.

Such an underrated and overlooked gem. I loved what that game tried to do with the first person genre
  • ObliqueZombie - November 1, 2012 5:32 p.m.

I've heard of that. Is that purchasable on Steam?
  • Biohazard2mankind - November 1, 2012 7:09 p.m.

Yes it is.
  • ObliqueZombie - November 1, 2012 8:34 p.m.

And only $10? Well shoot, I'll have to think about this soon.
  • r.c.leclaire - November 1, 2012 11:07 p.m.

I've played Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the World...and I actually burned my copy of it because I hated it so much. The game is broken and, in my opinion, poorly executed (at least the Xbox version) and would suggest people stay far away from it. It was one of the worst gaming experiences I've ever had. But, to each their own.
  • Redeater - November 1, 2012 4:39 p.m.

Slender isn't scary period. It's the equivalent of one of those soothing videos with a quick image flash and scream at the end. I love the choice for number one and severely wish I could play Stalker. That game was so brokenly shipped it isn't funny. I just bought all three stalker games and they either have 15 minute load screens (apparently pretty common with new video drivers) or the game just chugs along and crashes!
  • BladedFalcon - November 1, 2012 7:06 p.m.

"Slender isn't scary period." Quick reminder, making those kinds of absolute statements on something as subjective as a manipulation of an emotion, (Horror)when you are not even an authority in the matter only make you sound like a douche and undermine any actual credibility your later arguments might have. As for the argument itself... "It's the equivalent of one of those soothing videos with a quick image flash and scream at the end." Huh... I had no idea suddenly finding yourself in a dark, desolated forest with disturbing notes scattered around abandoned landmarks and having nothing on you but a lantern could be a soothing experience... Is that the way you spend your holidays man? if so, top respect!
  • taokaka - November 1, 2012 10:38 p.m.

"Huh... I had no idea suddenly finding yourself in a dark, desolated forest with disturbing notes scattered around abandoned landmarks and having nothing on you but a lantern could be a soothing experience... Is that the way you spend your holidays man? if so, top respect!" Quick reminder, making those kinds of absolute statements on something as subjective as a manipulation of an emotion, (soothingivityness)when you are not even an authority in the matter only make you sound like a douche and undermine any actual credibility your later arguments might have. Sorry but I just had to do that even if your overall argument made perfect sense.
  • BladedFalcon - November 1, 2012 11:30 p.m.

wait, so you're saying that there's a chance someone could find such scenario soothing? :P Also, I'm sorry, but how was my remark and absolute statement? Did I say, "This IS how it always happens" or "forests at night are ALWAYS scary, PERIOD"? hell, if he actually did spend his holidays like that, I would be genuinely impressed, where's the absolute there? I mean, if you're gonna treat any argument like that, then you might as well give up before you start. Dunno if you noticed, but I was mainly aiming it at the way he started his comment :P
  • Redeater - November 1, 2012 11:50 p.m.

Surprise. The Rush Limbaugh of this site has told me I'm wrong because I stated my opinion. I was referring to the knee-jerk reaction at the end of the "soothing" video, not the actual content....though I should have guess you would have taken it the wrong way. Look up at your own comment "Not that scary, really." I suggest you take a dose of your own medicine. You love to preach to others about how their opinions are wrong yet you state comments which you regard as fact. I may have said that Slenderman shouldn't be on this list because it causes limited cheap scares.......but you're the one critiquing my statement while doing the EXACT same thing in your replies to other people's comments.
  • Redeater - November 1, 2012 11:59 p.m.

But feel free to keep replying to my comments. Love ya pumpkin. :)
  • Biohazard2mankind - November 1, 2012 7:11 p.m.

The game is great once you get past the rough spots. There is a mod that makes a lot of fixes and updates the graphics. It is called Stalker Complete. Worth getting.
  • Turtman - November 1, 2012 4:51 p.m.

Amnesia Amnesia Amnesia (and the spiritual prequel: the Penumbra series)
  • musashi1596 - November 1, 2012 5:45 p.m.

I so desperately wish the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series made the transition to console. Can't play it on PC for the life of me.
  • Stabby_Joe - November 1, 2012 6:04 p.m.

While I'm glad you've mention Condemned however no Eternal Darkness, no list.