• Cat_Mundy - April 1, 2011 11:03 a.m.

Grim Fandango is 50 places too low.
  • luckyseven - April 1, 2011 10:58 a.m.

170th!!! Great stuff guys..glad grim fandango made the list
  • veryweirdguy - April 1, 2011 10:37 a.m.

Listen, guys, where is 50 Cent: Blood on the Sands? Excellent list apart from that. I don't agree with everything, but who would? A lot of my personal favs made the top 20 (and most of them were in the top 10!) so I'm happy. Currently I am running through all the Zeldas in preparation for Skyward Sword, so I'm really glad to see two of the ones I haven't played are on here! Definitely gonna try and pick up a couple of the classics I haven't ever played (Chrono Trigger here I come...!) Thanks GR, you da bestest.
  • fireworks - April 1, 2011 10:33 a.m.

great list guys, 2 words for you though.....monkey island!
  • Unoriginal - April 1, 2011 10:32 a.m.

I've played 84 of these games and finished 72 og them. I now have a goal and that is to finish every last one of these
  • jameshalsey - April 1, 2011 10:32 a.m.

Making a list like this is always going to open you up to a torrent of shit. But I found this a very agreeable and enjoyable countdown with a truly deserved number one - which is nice.
  • KidKatana - April 1, 2011 10:31 a.m.

Great list guys, but seriously, please stop confusing homonyms. Rain = water that falls from the sky. Reign = to rule/the period during which a ruler is in power. Therefore: Raining down death = killing from an elevated position. Reigning down death = ruling over a depressed Grim Reaper?
  • Gurkogg - April 1, 2011 10:23 a.m.

I know that noone will read this far into the comments, but I can not for the life of me understand the Ocarina of Time fixation that alot of these readers seem to have. The game was OK, albeit stupid easy. I was so excited about it that I bought the collector's edition on the day of release... only played it once. Waste of the $70 I spent on it. FFVII was OK too, but it was also way too easy. I tried to play FFVII recently and it bored me to tears even though I am an RPG junkie (been clean of WoW for 6 months, lol).
  • kit07 - April 1, 2011 10:23 a.m.

great list guys. my prediction for #1? was super mario world. didn't get it right but you had some of my favs in there so i can't complain. probably one of the best lists i have seen. can't wait for the nest 100 list in another five years to see how much things have changed anyhoo cya
  • Ilyere - April 1, 2011 10:05 a.m.

Wow, putting Portal as number one is getting a lot of backlash. But I can agree with the reasons that you given for other games. (As a total RPG fangirl, I would move some games around... But that's just me ^^)
  • SoMi - April 1, 2011 9:10 a.m.

I really liked the list, especially Tetris (fond memories of playing it as a kid) and Portal (Glados is one of my favorite game characters ever). However, I can't help but wonder how Myst would have factored in, if anyone would have taken time to remember it. It's kind of one of the most brilliantly moody games ever, and I still try to play it from time-to-time (the graphics and everything else are fine, but the original version causes occasional crashing of the old computer we have). Now I never played the later versions of Myst to see how they compared, but I would like to know how the best of them would rank if they were considered.
  • aJAWSOMEocelot - April 1, 2011 9:10 a.m.

BWAAAAAGH! ZOMG! WTF?! WHY IS METAL GEAR NOT NUMBER ONE?! RAAAAAAAGE!!! But actually, this was a beautiful list and I agree with most entries, you guys are awesome!
  • Woodrow83 - April 1, 2011 9:04 a.m.

Well that was a bunch of crap!
  • DIStroyinmasses - April 1, 2011 8:55 a.m.

where is Final Fantasy 7 & 8, 12 was wasy better then 10 aswell Portal WTF overrated minigame
  • SpikroddNG - April 1, 2011 8:51 a.m.

Based on the disclaimer given at the beginning and the preceding list, I can agree with like 95% of this list (I would have put Diablo II higher,but that's just me...). I was delighted that WWF: No mercy made the list, appalled that FF VII got axed and shocked that Portal was #1, then I nodded in agreement. To make people happy in some areas, you should get like a 25 game honorable mention thing as well. You guys explained the reasoning with a lot of sequels and other games and such, but what about other insanely popular games? Some people might want an answer on why Twisted Metal: Black was cut or something. Related note, how was Twisted Metal: Black cut?
  • FVDub - April 1, 2011 8:49 a.m.

Thank you for placing Mass Effect 2, Wind Waker, and Super Metroid in the top 10. Those are 3 of my favorite games ever. I half expected Okami to crack the top 10.
  • austincharlesbond - April 1, 2011 8:46 a.m.

Metroid Prime?
  • austincharlesbond - April 1, 2011 8:45 a.m.

I don't know why websites make lists like this. I did not like this list, and I'm sure there will be a lot of others who don't. These things are bound to make hate.
  • Smeggs - April 1, 2011 8:39 a.m.

My ass is going to be playing Wind Waker when I wake up. I remember how great that game is. Sailing across a beautiful sea, I see an island in the distance, a pirate lookout rising from the waves, and then-UH-OH! Giant Octorok! The level of exploration in that game was IMO what made it the best, being able to just sail off in a random direction and find a new undiscovered land. Also the story was at its base the same, and yet it was so unique and fresh in every other aspect ("I was born on a nice little island. Uh-oh, sisters kidnapped, gotta work with some pirates to get her back. Gonna save the Rito and Deku Tree, now gonna kill Gano-Crap, he's still alive. Time to go to Hyrule castle which is in the ocean. Hyrule sank into the ocean because of Ganon?! That Bastard, I'm so mad I could stab him in the fa-Oh wait"). I was also glad to see Kingdom Hearts on the list, just thinking about the game makes me nostalgia all over the place. Now that Nomura himself said there's gonna be a KH3 after the 3DS game in Famitsu magazine I'm happy there will be a closing chapter finally too all the prequel-madness.
  • SirNinja - April 1, 2011 8:19 a.m.

This was an unusually well-thought-out Top 100 list. I notice a lot of comments pointing out certain choices as "daring" or "ballsy", but...I don't really think they were. I didn't even blink when I saw Portal at #1, especially after reading the criteria at the beginning. I'm really not sure if I would change anything about this list, actually. For once, here's a top 100 that actually looks like the product of a lot of thinking and debate. Props.