• JohnPP - March 14, 2013 1:55 p.m.

An interesting read, stumbled upon it during a slow day at work. Seems like a lot of commenters didn't bother to read the criteria you used to make your list. I wouldn't consider myself a hardcore gamer, and in fact have probably only played maybe 30-40 of the games on this list, tops. I am pretty committed to certain franchises though, and disagree with a few of them. Super Smash Bros: I still play Melee frequently with many of my friends. Between the group of us, we have a couple of copies of Brawl. We never play it anymore. Brawl didn't feel like a big a jump from Melee as Melee did from the original, and it still feels far too twitchy/random to me, even after a good amount of gameplay. Pokemon: Pokemon Black/White were not great, and Black/White 2 were even less so. The whole game is just bogged down with an annoying story line that is pushed way too hard. I bought both and haven't done more than a single playthrough on either. And I'm not some person saying "Gen I forever", as I really think the game that belongs on this list is Platinum (gen IV.) Just the best combination of progress in the series, replayabilty, and the most interesting pokemon introduced since Gen I. Gen V was just a huge let down. Anyway, just my two thoughts. I have opinions on many other things, but these are two series I've been playing since inception and still play a lot and also disagreed with.
  • kevin-vella - March 17, 2013 9:27 a.m.

I know there are a lot of great old games that are deservingly on this list... but there are soooo many great new games. Classics aren't always the best. Why wasn't Far Cry 3: or any of the Far Cry's, on here? Far Cry 3 was one of the most touching games ive ever played. And there is a tetris port but not the original? who the hell made this?
  • truerock - March 19, 2013 4:24 p.m.

I think Far Cry and the Far Cry series is a victim of bad timing. It came out at the same time as Half Life 2 and was somewhat lost in HL2's shadow. IMHO, Crytec/Ubisoft is not very innovative. It's not that Crytec doesn't make good products - Crytec does make good products... but, Crytec so much derives its ideas from the efforts of others that its products/games tend not stand out as very exceptional in quality. But, yes - I agree... it seems that something from the Far Cry series could have made a top 100 list.
  • MrFox - March 23, 2013 2:48 a.m.

Nice list, we could argue the finer points of any game, but what really makes me cringe is damn apostrophes in the decile titles. There is never an apostrophe before the "s" when making a plural in any form (whether it is a word acronym, abbreviation or whatever doesn't matter) . For example It's eighties or 80s, never 80's and it is DVDs not DVD's. Just because there are a lot of idiots who write signs in stores, there is no reason to imitate them.
  • MrFox - March 23, 2013 2:55 a.m.

No Ocarina of Time? Fail
  • MrFox - March 23, 2013 3:04 a.m.

My mistake, just read your criteria again!
  • sternparez - March 31, 2013 10:38 a.m.

Assassins Creed and Bioshock ahead of MGS and SOTN, yeeeesh
  • Dragon_Voyager - April 5, 2013 11:42 a.m.

No Devil May Cry 3, no Tomb Raider, RE4 over REmake, WW over OoT or Twilight Princess, and no Ninja Gaiden Black = list fail.
  • bill-kemp - April 12, 2013 10:08 a.m.

I'm seriously overjoyed to see a Link to the Past, IMO, one of the best games made. I'm shocked to not see FFVII on the list though. That was the best FF game of the series and X is where it started to go wrong.
  • weblynx - April 19, 2013 6:28 p.m.

what?? No return to castle Wolfenstein?
  • AtotehZ - April 22, 2013 9:56 p.m.

Baldur's Gate 2 is one of the best games ever made. Most immersive, extensive universe to be created in a video game. I can say a lot of things I don't agree with, but that one is FACT. My bet is that there will never be a game as extensive as that, simply because developers don't dare put as much time in one project as was put in that, it simply isn't profitable.
  • The4nnihil4ter - April 25, 2013 4:27 a.m.

Honestly I'm disappointed that Starcraft 2 is only at #72, it was recognized as one of the best games ever. And Portal as #1? Portal 2 is much better!
  • Assassin27 - April 25, 2013 3:05 p.m.

Wtf? No Metal Slug, no Heavy Rain, God of War, Bully, Infamous, Portal 1?!!! and....NO LITTLE BIG PLANET???!!!
  • bob-joehfdshjfdsjhfdhjfd - May 5, 2013 8:23 a.m.

portal one was #1 on the list, dumbass.
  • matthaeus-hippi - May 7, 2013 8:43 a.m.

Sry, but this list is very, very, very subjective. Do you have any criteria at all? There is just ONE turn-based strategy game, that being Civ 5 (which is regarded as worse than civ 4 by many civ-fans, but at least you mentioned the series). Where are titles like HoMM?! You also ignored the RTS genre for the most part, mentioning only starcraft, warcraft and LOL. Where are titles like AoE? Stronghold? You definitely have to few strategy games in your top 100, compared to shooter and rpg's who take up almost all the list. Also, if you're so prone to mention RPG's where did you leave gothic I? one of the best RPG's ever made, and one of the few that didn't bore me after the first few level-ups.
  • Beatty003 - May 9, 2013 11:30 a.m.

Final Fantasy VII, Super Mario 64 and Fable: The Lost Chapters never even made it on the list???
  • stephen-thakkar - May 20, 2013 7:07 a.m.

I'm a little disappointed Kingdom Hearts didn't even make the list. That game was my childhood!
  • marioxaxa - May 23, 2013 3:02 p.m.

That's awesome! My favorite game is on top 1!