• kiba640 - April 3, 2011 3:57 p.m.

No Monkey Island? I am deeply saddened but I guess that there was a reason for it not to be put in....
  • sternparez - April 3, 2011 3:15 p.m.

man this took me a good hour and a half, I disagree with a lot of it (Halo, Gears, Assasins Creed and God of War ahead of MGS3 puh-lease!) but it was one hell of a read
  • sohaibifikhar - April 3, 2011 12:38 p.m.

Grawsome list GamesRadar... This list is what made me join you guyz!!!
  • Ulukai - April 3, 2011 12:14 p.m.

This list needs more: Thief II - One of the best stealth games of all time X-Com: Enemy Unknown - One of the best stratedgy games of all time. Monkey Island - When you think adventure games you think Monkey Island. Not forgetting: Timesplitters, Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines, Unreal Tournament, The Longest Journey, Duke Nukem 3D, Wipeout HD, LittleBigPlanet, Dino Crisis, bla bla, bla bla bla, blaaaaa blaaa, etc, etc. But most importantly Outcast! No seriously it was quite the revolutionary title at the time... its just hardly anyone played it. It was the Okami of its generation. =(
  • pka4lif - April 3, 2011 6:56 a.m.

when is the podcast of the debate being posted. Very much interested in hearing that convo!
  • secretsearcher - April 3, 2011 5:26 a.m.

I lied. I have one more thing to say. I wish there was a Sly Cooper game on this list. Because there will never be another game protagonist, ever, as likable and genuinely funny as Sly
  • secretsearcher - April 3, 2011 5:23 a.m.

I have but one thing to say: Chrono Trigger, the best RPG of all time? FUCKING YES :DDDDD
  • Jayjay77 - April 3, 2011 4:23 a.m.

Kingdom hearts better be on this list.
  • lionmaru - April 3, 2011 4:12 a.m.

F**k yeah! I've lost the count of how many times I've played Chrono Trigger in my life, the best rpg ever made... From western developers, Elder Scrolls, Fallout and Mass Effect are the sacred triad...
  • cuorebrave - April 3, 2011 3:48 a.m.

I'm sorry, but if we're going all the way back to 1988 to pick some of these games, it's INEXCUSABLE that Star Control II doesn't get some love. And with a good chance Activision will give the original developers a shot at making a TRUE sequel, a mention in this Top 100 list would have been a huge bonus for fans of that masterpiece... so many of today's sci fi games get their cue from SCII, it's ridiculous to put Mass Effect on here without mentioning a game that DIRECTLY (in so many ways) shaped that space opera... do yourselves a favor, Star Controll II is freeware - search Google for THE URQUAN MASTERS and download the open source copy today - and lose the next month or so of your life!!
  • Zeipher - April 3, 2011 2:09 a.m.

WHERE THE FUCK IS GOLDENEYE?!? IT REVOLUTIONIZED FIRST PERSON SHOOTERS AND MULTIPLAYER GAMING, YOU BASTARDS!
  • infestedandy - April 3, 2011 1:44 a.m.

I ALMOST FORGOT! Alright, I did forget but that's beside the point. WHERE IN THE NAME OF THE HEAVENLY FATHER IS BALDUR'S GATE II? I demand answers. Now!
  • SOLAMON77 - April 3, 2011 1:40 a.m.

Great article, but Portal for the best game ever??? Really? It's a great game, but it's not the best ever. Still, good luck trying to figure out what that game is. This is a question that will keep gamers talking forever.
  • IVIunky - April 3, 2011 1:13 a.m.

Well, I am quite satisfied with the list, with a one qualm... 1. Twilight Princess over Ocarina of Time?!? Huh? When my friend first came over, not having played a Zelda game (Sega fanboy), I immediately recommended Ocarina of Time. When he beat that, I recommended Majora's Mask. When he beats that, then I'll recommend Twilight Princess. If you ask me (not that you are), Ocarina of Time is the most timeless game ever, and one that people will come back to when they wish to experience the splendor that is Zelda.
  • Themadkossak - April 3, 2011 12:44 a.m.

The fact that red dead and bioshock didn't make the top 10, yet mass effect did gives me great concern to your sanity
  • Fedexcommando - April 3, 2011 12:28 a.m.

Agree with most of the games on here. However, there were a few that I was disappointed didn't make it. Any Sly Cooper game. They all kicked ass. Pokemon Snap is the only n64 game I can go back and play today without being bored out of my mind. I think I might cry because Limbo didn't make it. You guys are the sole reason I bought that game and it was worth every penny. Aside from that, great article. Portal is the only game that I played through TWICE in one sitting.
  • infestedandy - April 3, 2011 12:11 a.m.

What a great list. A commendation to everyone at GamesRadar for keeping it original! Now, I have a few questions... For one, Donkey Kong Country. It's a game series I'll love forever and I question why you put the first one as the best. Unquestionably it was a flawless game, but Diddy's Kong Quest was far, far superior. Think about it, the game expanded to give you reason to net those bonus coins and DK coins. That 100% meant so much more than just bragging rights and the bosses, monsters, music (OH GOD THE MUSIC), were creative beyond measure. Oblivion. I'm not sure how this got on the list over something like Morrowind. Maybe I'm in the minority but Oblivion was NOT great. It had the potential to be giant, an insurmountable success in every aspect of gaming. I think the reason it was so widely loved is because of its timing. When it came out there was nothing that matched the scope of the world or the visual effects. Whatever the case, its design and exploration system absolutely killed it for me. Exploring caves and remote systems didn't pay off nearly as much as they did in Morrowind. Actually, it was pretty pathetic when you think about it since everything scales to your level. Ambushed by wolves? Get ready to shoot them each 100 times with arrows and fireballs. I could go on for pages here, but you know what I'm talking about.
  • Hamletbaby - April 2, 2011 11:37 p.m.

Excellent list, and very refreshing to see such a unique, unorthodox approach. The only one which I honestly feel was missed was World of Goo. It seems like it would nail the four main criteria listed in the intro. I'd very much like to hear why it didn't get selected, at least in the #80s-90s range. Thanks and fine work!
  • egregious - April 2, 2011 10:02 p.m.

Great list.
  • KolbitosFruitJuice - April 2, 2011 9:47 p.m.

Hahaha I was completely thrown off guard by a list such as this without Ocarina of Time. But hey, by your definition of best, it works.