• ARCHANGEL309 - April 20, 2012 2:14 p.m.

Goldeneye 007, and not the shitty remake or the shitty remake of the shitty remake, its like Inception or something. Anyway, Goldeneye 007 on the N64 was a benchmark for the FPS genre, and in my opinion, can only be beat by CoD MW which came out a full decade later! I'm sorry GR, I know its challenging making a massive list like this, but Goldeneye was a classic.
  • joerevs300 - April 20, 2012 2:10 p.m.

There's no way on earth FFX, VI and Chrono Trigger should be on here but FFVII is not. FFVII set a standard for RPG's that has stood the test of time, been copied, and on and on. The killing of Aeris for most teenagers that experienced this game was one of the most WTF, moving moments they ever experienced in a game, the various Materia and Weapon options gave you a multitude of ways to go through the game, etc. And yeah, Portal as #1? A HD remake of FFVII would instantly sell 10M copies worldwide, take that to the bank. I mean, for the love of God, it got its own MOVIE spinoff. (And a good one at that, compared to some of the others, hello Super Mario Brothers).
  • sirdilznik - April 20, 2012 2:19 p.m.

FFVI > FFVII and in every way possible outside of graphics. I do agree that FFX doesn't belong on the list though.
  • Redeater - April 20, 2012 3:23 p.m.

You are 100% correct sir. You only missed the FFIV>FFVI. Seriously though it is nice to hear love for the SNES FFs. I would assume a lot of the misplaced love of FFVII has to do with most people not playing the previous games or being very young when the game came out. That's right.....I said it.
  • Larinah - April 20, 2012 3:22 p.m.

Final Fantasy VII was decent, but I have to disagree with even mentioning it in the same sentence as Chrono Trigger. It may have has customization but I would personally much rather enjoy my time with less customization than feel like I'm plodding through a game which should have ended 2 discs ago... Don't get me wrong, FFVII was pretty good, but it's definitely not as great as many people say imo.
  • BladedFalcon - April 20, 2012 2:08 p.m.

Aaaand let the whining and arguing continue! I still don't get why this pisses people off so much. It's the list of games GR likes and thinks that they deserve to be here. OF COURSE anyone's bound to disagree with some of the picks. But whining and making it sound like YOUR opinion is right and absolute only makes you look like a self entitled wanker. Then again, this is the Internet, i guess I shouldn't be surprised... doesn't make me any less annoyed though. Also, still need to properly read the entire list, but I'm glad to see Journey made it! ^^
  • The_Boz - April 20, 2012 1:57 p.m.

Brings back many memories, but lists like this are always down to preferential tastes. Personally I hate Tomb Raider and would not have one of those games in the top 1000 as they are just over rated platformers that had to use large breasts to first get noticed. Lists like this do forget many platforms and many games from the late 80s and early 90s are missed out. Doom 2 has to be in my top 10, no other game has got it's ambience, and I think the graphics actually contribute to that as it did for many games of that era because, although the graphics were good, they were blocky and the gamer still had to use his imagination in his head to create that game's universe more so than modern day clinical graphics. Many ommission which have been important on many platforms which should have been included are... Road Rash 2 Street Fighter 2 because all others are just an expansion of that original game on the SNES or the Arcade by adding the odd character here and there and improve the graphics but not it's soul. It is like rating Unreal because of all the MODS that have been added since it's release. FIFA (insert year) Come on, how was this left out? NHL Hockey and Madden Football always do well in the reviews. Creatures 2 on the C64 - Maybe the person to create this list needs to be introduced to this cute gorefest. Forza 3 or 4 - Arguably the definitive racing sim. Geoff Crammond's original Formula 1, wake up Gamesradar Staff. Sam and Max Tie Fighter or X-Wing Theme Park or Theme Hospital were both much more fun than The Sims 3 Elite Wing Commander Football Manager (insert year) Championship Manager Sensible Soccer Myth (C64 Version) Last Ninja 3 Populous Pitfall I am sorry, but looking at the list it does make me wonder how knowledgeable the Gamesradar staff really are with computer gaming and their experience. Did they learn in a classroom or did they grow up with real computer gaming. What I would love to see is the top 100 best selling games and that is counting sequels etc as seperate entities.
  • robinkurosaki - April 20, 2012 1:53 p.m.

once again games radar, you have ruined the whole integrity of the list by putting portal 1st. get over it please....
  • Craza - April 20, 2012 1:45 p.m.

I dunno. I played through Portal a few times, but I just never felt myself being grabbed into it like I did the second one. The second one was absolutely amazing, and the co-op was the most challenging, yet fun part of a game I've ever played in my life. The first Portal is good, don't get me wrong. It was a breath of fresh air in the exceedingly stagnating video game pond, and it was charming, but GLaDOS in the second once just seemed to shine so much more than in the first. Perhaps it was because of the last half when she was a potato and the game started to really dive into more of the behind-the-scenes of this laboratory. The huge environments, dynamic puzzles, and sense of depth in the second one has made it one of my favorite games, but I just oddly enough can't bring myself to say the same for Portal 1. Not to mention, the first one didn't have frickin' SPAAAAAAAACE CORE or Wheatley!
  • Brutalicus - April 20, 2012 1:29 p.m.

God damn it, another list topped by Portal. Great game, didn't do as much for me as... pretty much anything in the top 30. "no repeats" (Gdar trollface)
  • JMarsella09 - April 20, 2012 1:27 p.m.

I understand that narrowing down the hundred best games is difficult and personal preferences no doubt come into play. However, the lack of anything Myst or Persona related is most disheartening.
  • The_Boz - April 20, 2012 2:02 p.m.

Myst, interesting one, I was never a big fan, I had the box set also had Riven which I personally thought was better. It is one of those games you loved or hated big time no inbetween. I also liked some of the FMV games like Ripper and Under a killing moon both of which I personally rate highly on my all time favourites. Myst is an interesting ommission.
  • JMarsella09 - April 20, 2012 3:11 p.m.

I agree with you. Riven is, for all extensive purposes, a far better game then the first Myst. I was simply referring to both the Myst and The Persona series as a whole. I would have been content seeing any on the list.
  • ExtraCheese - April 20, 2012 1:19 p.m.

Ok, I'm sorry to criticise but I couldn't over look this. You said in #22 Portal 2 that "it was difficult to imagine that the sequel could be even better. But Portal 2 did it" but yet the original is still at number one...
  • metalgatesolid - April 20, 2012 1:15 p.m.

GTA IV over San Adreas??? Dont agree with that.
  • Civfanatic - April 20, 2012 1:12 p.m.

Fail 1: Civilization IV should be in the top ten. No discussion. Fail 2: You put Civ V instead of CiV IV, Civ V is a great game, but IV is better. Fail 3: And.... you put a screenshot of CivIV in the CivV entry. i know all TBS look the same in still images.. but.. come on... at least try!
  • KidJustKid - April 20, 2012 2:52 p.m.

^ This.
  • Pacific - April 20, 2012 6:07 p.m.

I agree completely, once you got past the slightly shinier graphics I would say Civ 5 is probably one of the most disappointing games I have ever played. It doesn't even come close to 4.
  • Snapp1eApp1e - April 20, 2012 12:50 p.m.

what no timesplitters 2 or tales of symphonia? I think they should at least be ON the list! Come on!
  • P0ck3tC1am - April 20, 2012 1:10 p.m.

That's what I'm sayin!