• The_Boz - April 20, 2012 1:57 p.m.

Brings back many memories, but lists like this are always down to preferential tastes. Personally I hate Tomb Raider and would not have one of those games in the top 1000 as they are just over rated platformers that had to use large breasts to first get noticed. Lists like this do forget many platforms and many games from the late 80s and early 90s are missed out. Doom 2 has to be in my top 10, no other game has got it's ambience, and I think the graphics actually contribute to that as it did for many games of that era because, although the graphics were good, they were blocky and the gamer still had to use his imagination in his head to create that game's universe more so than modern day clinical graphics. Many ommission which have been important on many platforms which should have been included are... Road Rash 2 Street Fighter 2 because all others are just an expansion of that original game on the SNES or the Arcade by adding the odd character here and there and improve the graphics but not it's soul. It is like rating Unreal because of all the MODS that have been added since it's release. FIFA (insert year) Come on, how was this left out? NHL Hockey and Madden Football always do well in the reviews. Creatures 2 on the C64 - Maybe the person to create this list needs to be introduced to this cute gorefest. Forza 3 or 4 - Arguably the definitive racing sim. Geoff Crammond's original Formula 1, wake up Gamesradar Staff. Sam and Max Tie Fighter or X-Wing Theme Park or Theme Hospital were both much more fun than The Sims 3 Elite Wing Commander Football Manager (insert year) Championship Manager Sensible Soccer Myth (C64 Version) Last Ninja 3 Populous Pitfall I am sorry, but looking at the list it does make me wonder how knowledgeable the Gamesradar staff really are with computer gaming and their experience. Did they learn in a classroom or did they grow up with real computer gaming. What I would love to see is the top 100 best selling games and that is counting sequels etc as seperate entities.
  • robinkurosaki - April 20, 2012 1:53 p.m.

once again games radar, you have ruined the whole integrity of the list by putting portal 1st. get over it please....
  • Craza - April 20, 2012 1:45 p.m.

I dunno. I played through Portal a few times, but I just never felt myself being grabbed into it like I did the second one. The second one was absolutely amazing, and the co-op was the most challenging, yet fun part of a game I've ever played in my life. The first Portal is good, don't get me wrong. It was a breath of fresh air in the exceedingly stagnating video game pond, and it was charming, but GLaDOS in the second once just seemed to shine so much more than in the first. Perhaps it was because of the last half when she was a potato and the game started to really dive into more of the behind-the-scenes of this laboratory. The huge environments, dynamic puzzles, and sense of depth in the second one has made it one of my favorite games, but I just oddly enough can't bring myself to say the same for Portal 1. Not to mention, the first one didn't have frickin' SPAAAAAAAACE CORE or Wheatley!
  • Brutalicus - April 20, 2012 1:29 p.m.

God damn it, another list topped by Portal. Great game, didn't do as much for me as... pretty much anything in the top 30. "no repeats" (Gdar trollface)
  • JMarsella09 - April 20, 2012 1:27 p.m.

I understand that narrowing down the hundred best games is difficult and personal preferences no doubt come into play. However, the lack of anything Myst or Persona related is most disheartening.
  • The_Boz - April 20, 2012 2:02 p.m.

Myst, interesting one, I was never a big fan, I had the box set also had Riven which I personally thought was better. It is one of those games you loved or hated big time no inbetween. I also liked some of the FMV games like Ripper and Under a killing moon both of which I personally rate highly on my all time favourites. Myst is an interesting ommission.
  • JMarsella09 - April 20, 2012 3:11 p.m.

I agree with you. Riven is, for all extensive purposes, a far better game then the first Myst. I was simply referring to both the Myst and The Persona series as a whole. I would have been content seeing any on the list.
  • ExtraCheese - April 20, 2012 1:19 p.m.

Ok, I'm sorry to criticise but I couldn't over look this. You said in #22 Portal 2 that "it was difficult to imagine that the sequel could be even better. But Portal 2 did it" but yet the original is still at number one...
  • metalgatesolid - April 20, 2012 1:15 p.m.

GTA IV over San Adreas??? Dont agree with that.
  • Civfanatic - April 20, 2012 1:12 p.m.

Fail 1: Civilization IV should be in the top ten. No discussion. Fail 2: You put Civ V instead of CiV IV, Civ V is a great game, but IV is better. Fail 3: And.... you put a screenshot of CivIV in the CivV entry. i know all TBS look the same in still images.. but.. come on... at least try!
  • KidJustKid - April 20, 2012 2:52 p.m.

^ This.
  • Pacific - April 20, 2012 6:07 p.m.

I agree completely, once you got past the slightly shinier graphics I would say Civ 5 is probably one of the most disappointing games I have ever played. It doesn't even come close to 4.
  • Snapp1eApp1e - April 20, 2012 12:50 p.m.

what no timesplitters 2 or tales of symphonia? I think they should at least be ON the list! Come on!
  • P0ck3tC1am - April 20, 2012 1:10 p.m.

That's what I'm sayin!
  • WTeen8 - April 20, 2012 12:41 p.m.

Well if by DKC you mean DKC2: Diddy's Kong Quest, and if By Sonic CD beating Sonic 2 you meant the other way around then yeah sure. and you guys are still going by Twilight Princess huh? Ok, I can see your reasoning there I suppose. But for those other 2....REALLY?! Also if it were me SMW would be there instead of SMB3, but oh well...
  • thing1amc - April 20, 2012 1:15 p.m.

Great List! I would change a few things (not to say it makes me angry or anything): Mass Effect 2 -> Mass Effect 3, Skyrim -> Fallout 3 (or oblivion), and I'd probably move portal 2 a little closer to the first one, though I understand your reasons for picking it over the sequel.
  • FoxdenRacing - April 20, 2012 12:35 p.m.

F-Zero GX made the list. I smile broadly sirs, so broadly my cheeks ache. That game's most memorable moment in my hands? Torture-testing televisions. About 4 years ago I was in the market for an HDTV, and wanted one that could keep up with my gaming habits. Thankfully the local Circuit City was willing to play along, so I went in with my gamecube and F-Zero in hand. It was the perfect game for the job. Blistering framerate, colors so saturated they were dripping, particles everywhere, standard-definition textures [I didn't have the HD cable, though my Gamecube does have the HD capability]. I went in with my heart set on Mitsubishi's laser-based set. I left with a Samsung I'd never even considered, as the Samsung was the only set in there that not only didn't beg for mercy, it metaphorically laughed in my face and asked if that was the worst I could throw at it. While it would've been great to see less 'dupes' on the list, and as much as I despise both Acti and CoD, I can't deny that every game on the list deserves to be there. I don't have a single complaint. The only things I could possibly do with this list is expand it to add a few more games that I get giddy about...but "top 125" or "top 150" doesn't have quite the same ring to it. Well done, gents.
  • Fatbot - April 20, 2012 12:31 p.m.

Other than the F2P games, I own 79 of them... and will complain that Morrowind should be the Elder Scrolls game on there, Mass Effect 1 was better than 2, and that Panzer Dragoon Saga should have been on the list. Other than those little qualms I enjoyed reading it (and playing them), though I'd also nitpick a couple of positional points.
  • sirdilznik - April 20, 2012 12:38 p.m.

I fully agree about Morrowind, it's definitely the best Elder Scrolls game. Morrowind > Skyrim > Oblivion > Daggerfall > Arena
  • Pacific - April 20, 2012 6:09 p.m.

I suppose though this list is about the best games in the world now, rather than at the time they were released. (And Daggerfall is definitely ahead of Oblivion BTW :) )