• gilgamesh310 - April 21, 2012 5:12 a.m.

Megacorpse, yeah the way Bioshock gets so much accalim and how System Shock 2 is virtually forgotten is one of the greatest travesties of the computer gaming industry. SS 2 is vastly superior in every way and its story is a one to one recreation of SS 2's. It's a disgrace to gaming that Bioshock's story is celebrated. If something similar happened in the film industry, the inferior remake would be chastised, but in gaming, where graphics seem to be more important than anything to most journalists, they are celebrated as masterpieces. Also, where the fuck is Timesplitters 2? It's the greatest console shooter ever and vastly superioir to Halo. They contradicted themselves with Metal Gear Solid as well. They say the first is the best but rank the third higher!
  • BladedFalcon - April 21, 2012 8:19 a.m.

"SS 2 is vastly superior in every way" No it isn't. While I haven't played SS2 and can't fairly compare story and gameplay. It is painfully obvious to see that Bioshock, if nothing else, has a much better, memorable setting, aesthetic, and graphics. This alone renders your hyperbolic statement invalid. And while I have no objective way of judging SS2's story or gameplay. I'm going to venture into guessing that there MUST be things that vary in the story, if not in terms of plot points, at least in terms of characters, and philosophy behind some key moments. (I am sure the whole argument of the player being subtly manipulated via mind control, the whole argument of man vs slave is something unique to bioshock. As well as characters like the wonderful sander Cohen.) And most importantly. Seeing as Bioshock's entire gameplay holds pretty well on it's own as it is, I could argue that whatever SS2's game-play was. It was probably similar, although I'm betting it was harder and more challenging. If so, then yes, that's a point in SS2's favor. But considering Bioshock is a game whose importance lies in it's setting, themes, story and characters far more than it does for it's gameplay... I'm still pretty sure Bioshock ends up being the better game, if only because it's graphics, setting and atmosphere are unarguably superior and fit today's standards better.
  • JKHarleyQuinn - April 21, 2012 12:14 p.m.

Ultimately it boils down to SS2 did manipulation through the person you're meant to trust first and after playing both games it is very clear where Bioshock got most of its key plot points. The reason why SS2 did it better in my opinion comes down to the main antagonist. Shodan was far more malevolent than Fontain and held a greater presence. I also don't understand this argument about graphics. Sure it's nice if a game looks good but is that really the defining factor in what makes it fun? It's like Tomb Raider Anniversary, the original was far superior because it didn't hold your hand and it was difficult unlike Anniversary. However this list seems to just disregard it because Anniversary looks better.
  • BladedFalcon - April 21, 2012 1:19 p.m.

Curious how you neglected to mention Andrew Ryan. Who, in my point of view, is the real star of Bioshock. But see, there's the thing, while there might be similarities in some main plotpoints, the story and characters ARE different enough and not a carbon copy as the original poster made it sound like it was. Ultimately which is better ends up depending on what your personal preference for setting and such. And well, fair enough if you don't find graphics important. In a sense, i don't necessarily do so, when it comes to sprites, mainly. But when it comes to early polygonal games, the graphical quality DOES make a huge difference to me. The blocky, jagged polygons are jarring to me eyes, so it does become a factor. And like I said before, more than other games, I think Bioshock is a game that is great more because of it's presentation and story more so than it's gameplay. So even if System Shock has a better gameplay, Bioshock still trumps it in my mind because it has the better setting and presentation.
  • mganai - April 21, 2012 6:50 p.m.

Giving a game with better presentation the nod over one with better gameplay? Your priorities are skewed. Games are meant to be played, first and foremost.
  • BladedFalcon - April 21, 2012 9:10 p.m.

I'm sorry, I thought games were meant to be an experience? Or are you going to tell me that games such as Journey, To the Moon or Dear Esther are crap or less deserving of admiration because they focus more in delivering a story or an emotional experience more than they do with conventional game mechanics? I mean, there's a focus for everything. I definitely agree that there are plenty of games in which their quality is and SHOULD be judged by their gameplay, since it's what distinguishes from other games. That being said, there are a LOT of games that shine more because of their story, setting and presentation more than they do because of their core gameplay. In my opinion, Bioshock is one such game, and the same can be applied to RPGs such as Chrono Trigger or FFVI. All of these games have pretty good gameplay on it's own, but at the end of the day, what everyone remembers the most, it's the setting, story or characters, THAT is what makes them stand out. In Super Metroid and tetris, you remember the gameplay, because that's what makes the stand out. In Bioshock you remember the story, do you see what I'm getting at? Also, please remember that this is MY opinion, and my own explanation as to why I consider Bioshock does indeed, deserve to be in the list instead of SS2. Or at least, why it was not the travesty that the OP made it out to be.
  • icbacomingupwithapropername - April 21, 2012 4:45 a.m.

"These are not the most important, most groundbreaking or most definitive games of all time" portal higher than portal 2. what the hell is wrong with you portal 2 was a much better game than portal 1, hell you even state it is a better game in the entry. what possible reason could you have for this other than that is was ground breaking and is important because it was the first?
  • lilbuddha - April 21, 2012 4:06 a.m.

lol @ Castle Crashers, UMvC3, Ac2, The Sims 3, Civ V (Civ 2 far better) double LOL @ ME2 in top 10, GTA4 (San Andreas is best) and a just plain "huh?" @ #1 being portal (should be in the 20's at best)
  • adrian-drott - April 21, 2012 4:02 a.m.

Alright, I think it's a fair list though I don't agree with portal being the n1. It was an awesome game but only fun to play once imo. Another thing was seeing call of duty so far up, could have been completely excluded or atleast further down. Didn't bring much original content, brought together the worst community and it's just another FPS game that you feel you've played before. I'ts literally a shit game for people who are afraid of trying other games. Also you I personally think you should have switched twilight princess with OOT. Twilight princess is too easy, not a game I would like to replay. While OOT I've played like 5 times, it has alot of variation with all the temples. Sure it might look like a bunch of polygons but then why not include the Ocarina of time 3D instead? I presonally prefer the original since it's more nostalgic. While I've always liked OOT the most, you guys made me change my mind. Wind Waker has been my second favorite in the Zelda series but I guess I like OOT that much just because it was the first game I started playing. Zelda Wind Waker will as you say, never grow old. And for that reason it is now my new favorite Zelda game, also brought wonderful and original grahpics and has some pretty amazing scenes. Also glad you picked Super Smash Bros Melee instead of brawl. Melee was totally the best SSB game. Sad to see it that far down though. One more thing, I have not tried the game yet but why is not Bastion in the list? I know so many people who have played it and love it SO much. I really wanna try it since many says it's one of the best games they've played in years.
  • higgins78 - April 21, 2012 4 a.m.

While its clear ANY top 100 list will be subjective, I'm still very surprised however to see Portal included so highly, making the coveted number 1 spot. I agree with the point you make on Zelda. If I were to recommend a Zelda to play today it would likely be Wind Waker, with LTTP and Skyward Sword both scoring a close second. Twilight Princess in my opinion however is the least pleasing Zelda, feeling as it does - for the first time - resting on its laurels.
  • Chewie07 - April 21, 2012 9:17 a.m.

Yeah, TP should really not be on this list. It didn't do anything new besides the control scheme, and it was just boring overall.
  • cian-mcintyre - April 21, 2012 4 a.m.

Not a fan of how the list was done. There seems to be a lot of apprehension about putting two games from the same series on here (with a small number of exceptions). It's sometimes not even games in the same series but just sort of "spiritual sequels" like explaining Fallout 3's absence because Skyrim is on the list. It would be like if when the AFI were making their 100 Movies list they said "Well we didn't want to put A Clockwork Orange on here because we already have 2001 and they're both by Stanley Kubrick" or if the Rolling Stone decided to only put one album by each artist on the list of greatest albums. That said, I'm glad Wind Waker achieved the high position it did, as well as Shadow of the Collosus and Ico. Less happy about entirely average games like Gears of War, Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto 4 being placed so high.
  • alexandre-bret - April 21, 2012 3:54 a.m.

so much angst. its Gamesradar top 100 not your personal. Go make your own. I wouldn't have Portal on there but whatever
  • ChristopherDalley - April 21, 2012 3:42 a.m.

I'm a fucking dick who fails to read the opening description and fails to acknowledge that they are not catering to my opinion.
  • ParagonT - April 21, 2012 8:55 a.m.

Glad you figured this out all on your own.
  • XCM-Irish - April 21, 2012 3:33 a.m.

Good choices in general, though some seem a little strange to me. But I haven't played those games, so maybe I just get the wrong impression. One big mistake in my opinion: Donkey Kong Country 2 is far better than is predecessor and for me it's the best 2D Platformer to this day. The pacing, the soundtrack, the graphics and level design are all simply perfect in that one.) Oh and you guys clearly haven't played Terranigma, have you? Though it lacks the multiplayer compatibility, that one even beats Secret of Mana! But still a great list! I think I have a lot of work to do now. :)
  • aerojonno - April 21, 2012 3:24 a.m.

Please, please, PLEASE stop putting articles in this format! It's literally impossible to read something in this format on a phone and it's totally unnecessary!! Now that I've got that off my chest, great list :) But you said in the Portal 2 description that it's better than Portal so ....... wtf??
  • doug-murray - April 21, 2012 3:05 a.m.

I can't read the article. There's just a javascript void on the previous/next buttons!
  • GR HollanderCooper - April 21, 2012 9:08 a.m.

What's the error?
  • doug-murray - April 21, 2012 7:24 p.m.

There's no error message. It's a void. I click the forwar/back buttons and nothing happens, no page loading status or anything.
  • fil-sapia - April 21, 2012 2:46 a.m.

Mass Effect 2 should be #1!
  • mikkel-montoya - April 21, 2012 2:19 a.m.

Everybody chill, it is gamesradar's top 100 list, what they mostly like recommends, it isn't the ultimate top 100 list in the world.
  • IronHeaver - April 21, 2012 2:19 a.m.

1. Im glad you replaced OoT with Twilight Princess. Its my all time favorite Zelda game. If it was a woman it would be the most damn sexiest women in the world, and I would cut off my own ear as a proposal gift. 2. HOWEVER, I am very disapointed to not see The World Ends With You on there. That game literaly changed my way of looking at the world, and reinvigorated my passion for video games. Some people can bash its style, its complexity, some of its outright absurdness, but it is going to stand as my all time favorite game for a very long time. It has new idea's, character development, and style literaly bursting from its cartrage leaving some kind of residue on my DS. A great list, but I think you missed one of the more recent greatest JRPG's. 3.White/Black? Come on! it just doesnt have the "Heart" and "Soul" that silver and gold has ;)
  • eCaravanier - April 21, 2012 2:17 a.m.

Worst ranking ever made. I mean LoL is ranked but not DotA? What the hell have you been smoking? Also Portal first? HAHAHAHA. Sure I loved this game but it's far from being the best game ever made. You need to play more games and get a real culture.
  • ncurry2 - April 21, 2012 8:27 a.m.

You say they need to get a real culture while supporting DotA over LoL? I've played at least 700 games for each and there is just no denying that LoL is far superior. From the persistent play elements to the matchmaking to the mages actually scaling to not be giant turds end game. There's a reason it had over 32 million active accounts several months ago.