• Govt CHEESE - April 21, 2012 8:43 a.m.

Sorry GamesRadar, but it seems you are not always right. I see nothing from the Dead Space series on this list. Somehow these games are trumped by Day Of The Tentacle? Really? And FFX over FFVII? Srsly?
  • Chewie07 - April 21, 2012 9:26 a.m.

Yeah, FFVII sucked. FFX was much better.
  • samsneeze - April 21, 2012 2:04 p.m.

Yet both pale in comparison to Final Fantasy IV
  • BladedFalcon - April 21, 2012 4:05 p.m.

Which in turn pales in comparison to Final Fantasy VI :P thank you for setting me up beautifully!
  • samsneeze - April 21, 2012 4:51 p.m.

Eh, VI is my second favorite and honestly the only other Final Fantasy game that I enjoyed. I could see someone liking it more.
  • mganai - April 21, 2012 6:58 p.m.

I think FFV doesn't get enough credit, personally.
  • charnickmx - April 21, 2012 4:53 p.m.

Wich also pales in comparison to Chrono Trigger.
  • samsneeze - April 21, 2012 5:30 p.m.

We were clearly talking about Final Fantasy games. Get with the program guy.
  • BladedFalcon - April 21, 2012 5:53 p.m.

Most likely. I admit I haven't played CT yet. But I will try to make it happen soon-ish.
  • Elard621 - April 21, 2012 8:42 a.m.

Man, you even put Skyward Sword as the second best Wii game. I know that you don´t like the Wii, but at least the top 3 games of the console should be on this list.
  • MrJP - April 21, 2012 8:22 a.m.

The trouble with a list like this is you can't really compare games across genres easily so you will never please everyone. That said, this list is poor even ignoring that premise as you outline how your list has been structured and what was factored before giving games places and then didnt follow it at all. Portal shouldnt be in the list (Portal 2 does it all and more there is no new experience to be had going back there) let alone no.1. GTA4 is nowhere near as good as Red Dead, its grey and dull compared to Red Dead and numerous other inconsistencies. That said I was pleased to see Super Metroid and Zelda LTTP getting the recognition they deserve. Surely a Worms game should have gotten a mention, they are timeless?
  • Elard621 - April 21, 2012 8:10 a.m.

I thought you were going to replace Twilight Princess with Skyward Sword. I personally found Skyward Sword better. Why isn´t it on the list?
  • Elard621 - April 21, 2012 8:20 a.m.

PLease, I need an answer. I really thought that Skyward Sword is among the best games of all time. I also thought that Gamesradar had my same opinion. It nominated it for the Platinum Chalice awards!!
  • BladedFalcon - April 21, 2012 9:59 a.m.

Well... If you go and check out their review, I think it explicit compares it with TP and WW, and they state that they didn't consider the game to be better than either of them. Also, the platinum chalice awards are for the games that were the best for that specific year, not out of all time. So the in the 2012 Platinum Chalice awards, it did reach the spot as one of the best games of the year, not necessarily of all time. Also, i hope you can note that I am not saying any of this in a offensive way, nor with the intention of insult you. I'm mainly pointing out the likely reasons as to why Skyward Sword didn't replace TP, at least in the GR's editor's mind.
  • Elard621 - April 21, 2012 7:27 p.m.

Don`t worry, I don`t want to start a fight either. But if you see the comparison between TP and SS, they say that they are tied. Thinking that Skyward Sword is the newest and that there`s only one Wii exclusive game in the list, I thought that they would put SS replacing TP. But I`m not angry, TP probably will be too dated in a year or some , and on that list they will surely replace it. Besides, they state in their list that ,exempting some series, there should be one entry of a series. Considering that Zelda has three entries in this list, there is just no room for SS, but it doesn`t mean that it isn`t between the top 100 games ever made. All this Skyward Sword issue I have made is because I really consider it the best Zelda game ever made.
  • joel-armstrong - April 21, 2012 7:39 a.m.

Ummm just pointing out that the Mass Effect 2 picture is actually Mass Effect 3 footage Fail much...??
  • Chewie07 - April 21, 2012 9:15 a.m.

No, it's from Shadow Broker, which was DLC for 2. Look at the icon in the lower right - it says "Mass Effect 2."
  • Dadyo238 - April 21, 2012 6:36 a.m.

Just played through POP: Sands of Time again, thought it should've scored higher. Seriously, anyone who still has it, play through it again and you'll be surprised how well the game holds up.
  • Dadyo238 - April 21, 2012 6:31 a.m.

Journey FTW!
  • gilgamesh310 - April 21, 2012 5:12 a.m.

Megacorpse, yeah the way Bioshock gets so much accalim and how System Shock 2 is virtually forgotten is one of the greatest travesties of the computer gaming industry. SS 2 is vastly superior in every way and its story is a one to one recreation of SS 2's. It's a disgrace to gaming that Bioshock's story is celebrated. If something similar happened in the film industry, the inferior remake would be chastised, but in gaming, where graphics seem to be more important than anything to most journalists, they are celebrated as masterpieces. Also, where the fuck is Timesplitters 2? It's the greatest console shooter ever and vastly superioir to Halo. They contradicted themselves with Metal Gear Solid as well. They say the first is the best but rank the third higher!
  • BladedFalcon - April 21, 2012 8:19 a.m.

"SS 2 is vastly superior in every way" No it isn't. While I haven't played SS2 and can't fairly compare story and gameplay. It is painfully obvious to see that Bioshock, if nothing else, has a much better, memorable setting, aesthetic, and graphics. This alone renders your hyperbolic statement invalid. And while I have no objective way of judging SS2's story or gameplay. I'm going to venture into guessing that there MUST be things that vary in the story, if not in terms of plot points, at least in terms of characters, and philosophy behind some key moments. (I am sure the whole argument of the player being subtly manipulated via mind control, the whole argument of man vs slave is something unique to bioshock. As well as characters like the wonderful sander Cohen.) And most importantly. Seeing as Bioshock's entire gameplay holds pretty well on it's own as it is, I could argue that whatever SS2's game-play was. It was probably similar, although I'm betting it was harder and more challenging. If so, then yes, that's a point in SS2's favor. But considering Bioshock is a game whose importance lies in it's setting, themes, story and characters far more than it does for it's gameplay... I'm still pretty sure Bioshock ends up being the better game, if only because it's graphics, setting and atmosphere are unarguably superior and fit today's standards better.
  • JKHarleyQuinn - April 21, 2012 12:14 p.m.

Ultimately it boils down to SS2 did manipulation through the person you're meant to trust first and after playing both games it is very clear where Bioshock got most of its key plot points. The reason why SS2 did it better in my opinion comes down to the main antagonist. Shodan was far more malevolent than Fontain and held a greater presence. I also don't understand this argument about graphics. Sure it's nice if a game looks good but is that really the defining factor in what makes it fun? It's like Tomb Raider Anniversary, the original was far superior because it didn't hold your hand and it was difficult unlike Anniversary. However this list seems to just disregard it because Anniversary looks better.
  • BladedFalcon - April 21, 2012 1:19 p.m.

Curious how you neglected to mention Andrew Ryan. Who, in my point of view, is the real star of Bioshock. But see, there's the thing, while there might be similarities in some main plotpoints, the story and characters ARE different enough and not a carbon copy as the original poster made it sound like it was. Ultimately which is better ends up depending on what your personal preference for setting and such. And well, fair enough if you don't find graphics important. In a sense, i don't necessarily do so, when it comes to sprites, mainly. But when it comes to early polygonal games, the graphical quality DOES make a huge difference to me. The blocky, jagged polygons are jarring to me eyes, so it does become a factor. And like I said before, more than other games, I think Bioshock is a game that is great more because of it's presentation and story more so than it's gameplay. So even if System Shock has a better gameplay, Bioshock still trumps it in my mind because it has the better setting and presentation.
  • mganai - April 21, 2012 6:50 p.m.

Giving a game with better presentation the nod over one with better gameplay? Your priorities are skewed. Games are meant to be played, first and foremost.
  • BladedFalcon - April 21, 2012 9:10 p.m.

I'm sorry, I thought games were meant to be an experience? Or are you going to tell me that games such as Journey, To the Moon or Dear Esther are crap or less deserving of admiration because they focus more in delivering a story or an emotional experience more than they do with conventional game mechanics? I mean, there's a focus for everything. I definitely agree that there are plenty of games in which their quality is and SHOULD be judged by their gameplay, since it's what distinguishes from other games. That being said, there are a LOT of games that shine more because of their story, setting and presentation more than they do because of their core gameplay. In my opinion, Bioshock is one such game, and the same can be applied to RPGs such as Chrono Trigger or FFVI. All of these games have pretty good gameplay on it's own, but at the end of the day, what everyone remembers the most, it's the setting, story or characters, THAT is what makes them stand out. In Super Metroid and tetris, you remember the gameplay, because that's what makes the stand out. In Bioshock you remember the story, do you see what I'm getting at? Also, please remember that this is MY opinion, and my own explanation as to why I consider Bioshock does indeed, deserve to be in the list instead of SS2. Or at least, why it was not the travesty that the OP made it out to be.