We Recommend

• carson-essenceofcool-koschik - April 20, 2012 9:48 p.m.

So Burnout: Paradise makes the list but OCARINA OF TIME DOESN'T?!?!?!
  • GR HollanderCooper - April 20, 2012 10:18 p.m.

"No repeats. 100 is a small number when you’re judging an entire medium, so we couldn’t afford to include more than one example from each series, unless that series evolved substantially. Yes, you’ll find multiple Zeldas, Marios and GTAs, but only because they’ve offered brand new experiences again and again."
  • carson-essenceofcool-koschik - April 20, 2012 10:40 p.m.

Yes, but it's OCARINA OF TIME! It's the game that is universally known as the greatest game of all time! You can't just leave it out!
  • BladedFalcon - April 20, 2012 11:35 p.m.

No it's not. That's just a bunch of nostalgia filled fanboys talking. As good as it was back when it came out, game's dated now, whether you like it or not.
  • GR HollanderCooper - April 20, 2012 11:38 p.m.

It's one of my favorite games ever, but I know there's a difference. My favorite factors in a lot of things unrelated to the quality of the game. Namely when I played it, and how it effected me. In other words... yeah, nostalgia. The same reason people fawn over FFVII (though I'd say OoT holds up much better than VII because it's a better game).
  • carson-essenceofcool-koschik - April 21, 2012 10:54 a.m.

Yes, but just like your Portal comment, Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker are completely different experiences. Much different then Portal 1 & 2 (which are awesome games, by the way).
  • BladedFalcon - April 21, 2012 11:12 a.m.

Well, Wind Waker and OoT are indeed different beasts, only thing is that OoT was replaced by Twilight Princess, which, both aesthetically and gameplay-wise is much more similar to OoT. But has aged better, at least up until today. That main I thing with OoT, is that while it is no doubt a great game, it's an eyesore for today standards, and the controls and combat system isn't as good as any of the new zeldas.
  • Fenghoang - April 20, 2012 9:42 p.m.

Pretty good list, much of which i agree with, but no Baldur's Gate 2 or Planescape Torment? Those two are arguably the best RPGs of all time. Saying I'm a little disappointed is an understatement =(
  • Spade103 - April 20, 2012 9:09 p.m.

51. Metal Gear Solid ''it’s still a remarkably involving experience – so much so that, even after numerous sequels, this isn’t just the best game on the PlayStation, but in the Metal Gear series as a whole.'' 21. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater ''Factor in the raft of improvements its Subsistence expansion brought to bear, and MGS3 stands alone as the most unique, if not necessarily best, installment of the series.'' So how is it that the so called ''best game'' in the Metal Gear Series ranks 30 spots lower than one that's said to be not necessarily the best installment in the series? Isn't this a best game of all time list? Wouldn't that make MGS rank higher than MGS3 if it's the best in the series..?
  • BladedFalcon - April 21, 2012 11:17 a.m.

It was called the best game on the playstation. Not the best in the series. Not that I disagree with you, mind. I personally think MGS is better than Snake eater as well. Thing is though, much as I love MGS, it Has aged, and it shows. I still think the story and characters are better in MGS, but the gameplay in MGS3 IS by far superior, and it helps that MGS3's story was genuinely great in it's own right. Basically, I don't agree with them, but I CAN understand why it would rank higher on the list.
  • Spade103 - April 21, 2012 3:59 p.m.

No they literally said that it's not ONLY the best on the Playstation, but also the best in the Metal Gear series Hence my first quote
  • BladedFalcon - April 21, 2012 4:21 p.m.

Oh, you're right! *facepalm* sorry, my bad, I misread! XD
  • ObliqueZombie - April 20, 2012 9:05 p.m.

Fantastic list. This has given me a dozen games to play before I die.
  • bitchassafriBLAMamericANTISTA - April 20, 2012 8:37 p.m.

how the fuck is portal still number 1? just because it is different doesn't make it the best.
  • ObliqueZombie - April 20, 2012 9:06 p.m.

So weird how opinions work, no?
  • OohWiiUILookJustLikeBuddyHolly - April 20, 2012 8:32 p.m.

Of course #1 is portal.. sigh..
  • gaxkeng11 - April 20, 2012 10:29 p.m.

What a shitty list this is. Horrible. Terrible. No Fallout 3 anywhere to be seen. And Portal #1? How much did fat ass Gabe pay you to make it #1? List blows d1ck
  • samitha-jayathilake - April 20, 2012 8:16 p.m.

I've just found my favorite Gaming site. THe Descriptions are nicely done. And yes Portal is awesome. I've played only 21 of these.
  • GR HollanderCooper - April 20, 2012 10:21 p.m.

You have a lot of work to do, then.
  • sgloomy - April 20, 2012 8:03 p.m.

as awesome as God of War was, I still think the third game is the best in the series. its not just the scale or the satisfaction you get after killing the gods, but the fact that it took everything from the other games and managed to make them better that makes it the best in the series for me. that is not to say God of war one or two (or even the PSP ones) are not as equally awesome in their own way.
  • Minis3b - April 20, 2012 7:57 p.m.

And I forgot to say SSX (the old one, not the new with fake multiplayer)
  • sammyruntz - April 20, 2012 7:31 p.m.

I am very pleased with the result, because I am a HUGE Portal fan. I have a plush companion cube, and I'm about to buy a Portal Gun Replica! This is by far the best game ever. I would've liked Minecraft, and Team Fortress 2 farther up on the list, but overall, I am happy.
  • SomeOddGuy - April 20, 2012 7:30 p.m.

I just read the entire list with intrigue, but I have to say... WHERE THE HELL IS METROID PRIME?! I agree with a large portion of the list, but honestly, there's a few omissions that I saw that were pretty stunning how they could be forgotten/left out. Also have to comment that Super Metroid is pretty low on the list, especially if it hangs lower than Chrono Trigger(which was the other way around in the SNES top 25).
  • Shanetexas - April 20, 2012 7:22 p.m.

Could you be like 9gag and where I can scroll through the pics by using keys? or at least have the "next" button in the same place? Anybody from Gamesradar? Hello? Hello?
  • ObliqueZombie - April 20, 2012 9:07 p.m.

I think the problem was when you said, "can I be more like 9gag."
  • GR HollanderCooper - April 20, 2012 10:19 p.m.

That's a very interesting idea. I'll take that suggestion to our tech team next week.