Topics

Best games

• freeden - December 6, 2013 10:48 p.m.

I've had every iteration of the Gameboy and Nintendo's handheld, but have held off on the 3DS. I'm actually more interested in the 2DS, as I really don't like 3D. But everytime I walk into Gamestop and think about getting one, I fail to find even five games that make it worthwhile for me. I really have no interest in the games that Nintendo is making itself these days (Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, etc.). Some of the RPG's look interesting, but I have yet to see anything that really makes me want to get one. I wish Konami was still doing Castlevania like they did on the Advance/DS. That series alone was one of the reasons I owned those handhelds.
  • Relayer71 - March 6, 2014 6:25 p.m.

Simple, don't use the 3D feature. No, really. I don't like 3D either, and except to try it out on every game I get, I don't really use it. After a minute or so, I turn the feature off and the game loose nothing for it, they're still great. Don't get me wrong - it does add to some games and the effect looks cool but it's not something I want to stare at for more than a couple of minutes. Fortunately, for the games I do own, the effect is not necessary.
  • garciaedwin123 - December 6, 2013 10:19 p.m.

Don't agree with four of the top five
  • Shigeruken - December 6, 2013 7:43 p.m.

Shin Megami Tensei IV isn't even available for Aus/NZ region consoles :(
  • Swedish_Chef - December 7, 2013 12:43 a.m.

I know that feel bro. <(;_;<)
  • Shigeruken - December 9, 2013 9:53 p.m.

The worst part is they're going to wait so long to bring it over that nobody will care, and then they'll assume there's no market for it. It's lunacy.
  • ObliqueZombie - December 6, 2013 7:01 p.m.

Tales of the Abyss is a great game for Tales fans who own a 3DS. The lack of voiced skits is a bummer, but it looks great, plays great, and is an EXCELLENT value for the price. Although yeah, "best games for the 3DS" spot it does not deserve. Fairly niche, even compared to SMT and Zero Escape. Great list, GR! The 3DS' library is extensive even beyond this if one were to dig past the "best sellers" and best rated.
  • winner2 - December 6, 2013 5:06 p.m.

damn straight MH is on here, although i'm just saying it's a great game, not necessarily on the 3ds. I tried the demo and didn't like it but it's definitely partly due to the fact that i've only ever played it on the psp, vita, and wii, so the 3ds felt weird at first and i just didn't want to deal with it. Also, that's a dumbass in that picture of it using a thunder element sword on something that resists thunder as it's main trait.
  • anthony-retondo - December 6, 2013 4:35 p.m.

Going to be in the minority here and say that Kid Icarus deserves the number one spot, easily.
  • supaMcnugget - December 6, 2013 5:13 p.m.

I really enjoy Kid Icarus Uprising. It has GREAT 3D, witty writing, gorgeous stages, and nice customization. However, I would say it isn't the best due to its control scheme. Admittedly, this is due more to the 3DS's shape than the game itself, but I still get hand cramps if I play for more than one level. Also, the game does get monotonous after a while. In my opinion, Fire Emblem: Awakening deserves #1.
  • lewis1703 - August 27, 2013 4:46 a.m.

WHERES ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF !?! THAT IS THE BEST GAME EVER INVENTED I DON'T THINK YOU GUYS WILL AGREE WHERES LEGO CITY UNDER COVER AND SUPER MARIO 3D LAND SHOULD NOT BE THE HIGHEST SHEESH
  • Hashbaz - December 6, 2013 4:21 p.m.

Um caps... Also Animal Crossing: New Leaf is on there.
  • Scoob - December 7, 2013 11:46 a.m.

This article was updated 20 hour ago. lewis' post was from August on a previous version of the article. New Leaf probably wasn't on this list when lewis posted, and I would assume the last time this list was updated was before New Leaf was even out. Either way, these articles need a changelog when they get updated or something.
  • LovingLife139 - June 23, 2013 9:25 a.m.

I just purchased my 3DS about two weeks ago mostly for the platformers and RPGs (and backwards compatibility with the DS is a spectacular feature with that library of games alone). I'm a huge MarioKart fan but have been putting off trying it for the 3DS because a racing game on a handheld system doesn't make sense to me. It seems like movement would be limited and that the game would be overall harder in terms of the controls. (This is my first handheld system, and I've been playing RPGs and strategy games thus far, which make sense with the controls and the screen set up.) If anyone else here is a MarioKart fan and has also tried the game on the 3DS, what are your thoughts on it? Is it as fun to play a racing game on a handheld system as it is on a console?
  • Fhiend - December 6, 2013 8:04 p.m.

It is mario kart.....on 3ds...You will like it.
  • slimjim441 - December 6, 2013 11:17 p.m.

It's one of the best Mario Kart games I've played in a long while.
  • LittleGreen - February 27, 2014 2:42 p.m.

I'm holding off for MK8
  • john-enfield - February 9, 2013 4:11 p.m.

How could the new Kid Icarus game rank so high? That thing is almost unplayable. Gave me hand cramps just trying to make it work. The only cool thing was the AR cards feature. The 3D Classics version on the 3ds online catalog is better. No, the best 3DS game isn't even on this list. That game is AR Games. It came with the system and is still the best 3DS game in terms of showing off what the system can really do. Super Monkey Ball is also a great game that makes good use of the gyroscope controlls and 3D. A more recent game for the 3DS that gets practically ignored even though it's good is the Heavy Fire 3D game. It's a great 'on rails' shooter that has pretty impressive graphics, makes good use of 3D and has very good controls. It's especially amazing when you consider that it is downloadble on the online store for less than $10.
  • Madwarrior1920 - December 7, 2013 10:01 p.m.

You woozy! A good game is a good game! If you aren't passionate enough don't play it!
  • stuart-maynard - December 29, 2012 3:41 p.m.

Seriously where is virtues last reward on theses game of the year things??