Topics

Anti-Awards

• Nocturne989 - January 8, 2013 12:47 p.m.

The Doritosgate pic still reminds me how much Geoff Keighley infuriates me
  • MyCoolWhiteLies - January 8, 2013 12:35 p.m.

God, the ME3 ending clusterfuck is still something that most people don't really see for what it was, and something I've yet to see accurately discussed. Honestly, whole thing was 3-fold. One, the ending was pretty bad. If you try to tell me that it was good, I'm positive I have a number of stronger and more well-reasoned arguments as to why it was underwhelming at best, and it has almost nothing to do with it not being a happy ending. Secondly, the fan reaction was ridiculous. A lot of people got very angry and some of them started acting like goddamn crazy assholes. Unfortunately, this completely overshadowed any reasonable discussion about the quality of the ending, leading to the next stage of what happened. Part III of the whole mess was the gaming press' patronizing condemnation of the debacle. Instead of having any nuanced analysis of the quality of the ending, almost every article was just about how fans were being shitheads and needed to just shut the hell up. Unfortunately, this generally had the opposite effect and mostly just fueled the flames of the outrage, further removing the possibility of actual discussion.
  • Sinosaur - January 8, 2013 1:31 p.m.

This is a pretty solid evaluation of what happened, perhaps still a bit simplistic, but overall there were at least three fairly distinct reactions to the ending. The worst part of the gaming press reaction is in how many articles condemning anyone complaining about the ending, they frequently mentioned that they hadn't played the game yet, or reached the ending at all.
  • MyCoolWhiteLies - January 9, 2013 9:11 a.m.

Yeah, honestly I didn't want to get into it to a greater degree. The whole thing shone a weird light on the relationships between developers, gamers/fans, and the gaming press. And yeah, there was sadly a really large number of journalists doing as you said, or similarly making it pretty clear that they were casual fans of the series at best. And yeah, it bummed me out that GamesRadar was actually one of the worst offenders in this regard. I generally love this site, but all their coverage of the matter was disheartening.
  • profile0000 - January 8, 2013 11:59 a.m.

Whoever wrote the Most Abrupt Ending awards deserves a raise.
  • KA87 - January 8, 2013 11:16 a.m.

I love these awards, but I would have given the most aburpt ending to FF-13-2. Seriously, you show us that massive cutscene and then "Too Be Continued.......". Really?
  • GR_RyanTaljonick - January 8, 2013 11:34 a.m.

LOL right? I saw that and thought to myself "what in the holy hell?" - though, to be fair, at least FF13-2 HAD an ending... kind of.
  • jack-hentschell - January 8, 2013 10:53 a.m.

I have to comment on the Mass Effect 3 ending. There were a lot more legitimate complaints about the ending than "it didn't end happily". Massive plot-holes and a general lack of closure. Did some overreact? Absolutely, but there was a real feeling of disappointment from many, MANY fans, including me. The Extended Cut, while not perfect, went a long way to improving it and in my mind the end is now decent. It closes most of the plot-holes (though some are still open) and gave a feeling of closure while still leaving some ambiguity and opening for fan interpretation. It actually felt like an ending. When I saw the Normandy taking off the planet and then the credits come up, I thought, "That's how to end this."
  • Bloodstorm - January 8, 2013 11:13 a.m.

Agreed. I'm more annoyed about how those that felt the ending was satisfying try and devalue my opinion to 'they can't handle a sad ending, crybabies.' Simply not true. The run to the portal as Harbinger shoots at them, I knew there was no happy ending for Shepard and it made the charge that much more emotional and powerful, I just expected something far better thought out and meaningful when I got there.
  • jack-hentschell - January 8, 2013 11:17 a.m.

The extended cut really did a lot for me there and it did feel much more consistent with Mass Effect lore which is why I accept it at this point. Even with the horrible taste the original ending gave me, it's still my favorite game of this year, even with The Walking Dead, Far Cry 3, and Dishonored.
  • Sinosaur - January 8, 2013 11:46 a.m.

I'm in the same camp, I was incredibly disappointed with the original ending, voice my opinion as such and stood at odds with everyone who demanded a new ending. It was still one of my favorite games right up until the ending, and the Extended Cut left me completely satisfied. It wasn't a real happy ending, but at least it made it feel like you accomplished something.
  • jack-hentschell - January 8, 2013 12:32 p.m.

It wasn't a complete downer. I must admit that I did have a problem with the tone of the original ending but not simply because it wasn't happy, but because it clashed with the tone of the rest of the series so much. Despite how dark it is, Mass Effect is one of the most optimistic series I've ever played. In a time where you have so many "edgy, dark and gritty games" it was so refreshing to see. The ending felt so cynical and downright cruel by comparison. The extended cut is much like the rest of the series. Sad and with a dark tone but a feeling that things will get better.
  • archnite - January 8, 2013 5:52 p.m.

Wow it just keeps indenting. Like forever.
  • GoldenEagle1476 - January 12, 2013 9:24 p.m.

That's actually one of the major problems I had with it, aside from the plot. The first two games are so optimistic (you survive a freakin suicide mission, for pete's sake) and then the third game ended on such a negative tone.
  • Bloodstorm - January 8, 2013 12:57 p.m.

I've actually not experienced the extended cut yet, mostly because I've had so much to play, and didn't feel like playing the last 2 hours of the game over again. I will one day. That said, despite the very last 20-30 minutes of the game, Mass Effect 3 was also one of the best games released this year. Never experienced so many emotions while playing a game.
  • jack-hentschell - January 8, 2013 1:04 p.m.

The only ones that rival it in terms of emotional impact in my mind are MGS3 and 4 and The Walking Dead.
  • Bloodstorm - January 8, 2013 1:43 p.m.

The Walking Dead seemed to brief to me to make the same connections I had developed in the Mass Effect series. On that aspect, I felt very little about the occurrences in TWD compared to the roller coaster that was ME3.
  • jack-hentschell - January 8, 2013 1:50 p.m.

I agree, but relatively speaking based on the amount of time I had to get to know them, they were on around the same level in my mind.
  • AlexStarkiller - January 8, 2013 3:16 p.m.

I don't agree. I found myself really connecting with the characters in a very short amount of time. especially with Clem. There's this certain part in the third episode where what happens to a character hit me like a gut-punch.
  • jack-hentschell - January 8, 2013 3:33 p.m.

What I meant was that there was less time to get attached but I got about as attached as I could get in that short amount of time. Same with the Mass Effect trilogy.