We Recommend

• VermithraxDagon - April 14, 2011 12:39 a.m.

I'll definitely go with Silent Hill 2, Doom 3 and add Condemned: Criminal Origins to the list.
  • MediocreDinosaur - April 11, 2011 7:29 p.m.

Time I won't ever give in No matter how hard you pull me in I know gravity ain't an excuse I just wanna make things a little more smooth. Majority is still asleep Tired of these dreadful dreams Now let me shout I'll wake you up Let me wake you up. Yeah. TWEWY. <33 You are almost forgiven for forgetting to put it in the Top 100 Games list.
  • TheLastRGP - April 10, 2011 4:40 a.m.

I bought a pair of Turtle Beach PX5 to play at night, and man, they do make a difference when playing COD or BFBC. I even played them with Dead Space, and it scared me senseless.
  • lozarian - April 8, 2011 10:26 a.m.

I'm surprised elite beat agents isn't on this list - it's impossible to play without the music, but is also perfectly sized for tube/bus journeys, and nobody wants to hear you fail the jamiroquai bit for the nineteeth time on their way to work.
  • Spybreak8 - April 8, 2011 6:04 a.m.

To tell you the truth I like to use headphones most of the time but I game at night. I have a sweet pair of Sonys but they just broke! :( I believe Mass Effect 1&2, Bioshock 1&2, Gears of War 1&2, Halo Reach, DiRT 2, RDR, The Orange Box, Doom 3, Deadspace 1&2, and Dragon Age 2 are great games to play while wearing headphones mostly for good music but also great sound design.
  • Bianchi - April 8, 2011 1:57 a.m.

Re4 is also cool with headphones, like when the regenerator and iron maidens come close, it scares the shit out of you xDDDD and you can hear spanish people swearing at you xDDD
  • Seabread - April 7, 2011 11:54 p.m.

What? no manhunt? you can only hear starkweather thru the headset on 360. totally immersive.
  • Overlord153 - April 7, 2011 8:02 p.m.

No wonder Neku always wears headphones in WETY. He must be always listening to the soundtrack.
  • AltairFoggz - April 7, 2011 7:13 p.m.

You want to play Dead Space with headphones!
  • BurntToShreds - April 7, 2011 4:44 p.m.

The TWEWY soundtrack IS on iTunes, just FYI. Sometimes, I wish they made it to where the same two J-Pop songs didn't play all the time. I want to hear some Transformation and Junk Garage, dammit.
  • BaraChat - April 7, 2011 12:25 p.m.

I've never played a game with headphones, even if I play some competitive online FPSs. But since I auto-mute everyone as soon as I enter a lobby, I don't think it'd be of much use, except for not waking up my wife when I play late at night. In fact I always thought that the TV audio produces better atmosphere (because it's in the whole room) than simple headphones. So I've never been interested in headphones.
  • philipshaw - April 7, 2011 11:08 a.m.

Great list and I do play most portable games with headphones
  • Benjamin333 - April 7, 2011 10:33 a.m.

Can't believe I left off Amnesia and its actual 'wear headphones' advice! Thanks for the comments, people. Glad you're all enjoying the feature. You guys have a point about certain games I left off (most DS/PSP games have surprisingly good audio when heard through headphones). To me, ALL horror games are far too effective at scaring you silly with headphones. This feature would've just turned into me listing them and describing my various levels of intimidation.
  • sirdilznik - April 7, 2011 10:14 a.m.

I completely agree with festafreak. Amnesia: The Dark Descent has some of the best (and creepiest) atmospheric sounds out there and as stated they even tell you to play using headphones (and with the lights off) in the instructions.
  • Deckard5627 - April 7, 2011 8:23 a.m.

nar man, headphones for silent hill 2, you think bioshock is creepey. Trust me, try this.
  • CitizenWolfie - April 7, 2011 8:15 a.m.

Manhunt - if you played it with earphones, the Director would be talking in your ear as if you were the main character. As well as the ambient sounds of general lunacy and depravity it made for a creepy experience
  • jmcgrotty - April 7, 2011 7:41 a.m.

Jesus Christ, guys! He was kidding when he said "The World Ends With You" in the list. No one really plays that crap. I only hope that those who agreed were "playing along" in the joke. And headphones in a FPS are useless and ridiculous. Why the hell would you play any game where you have to listen to other *I deleted a very long string of insults against anyone who plays FPS games online*... Quit being idiots, little kids.
  • ThatFanInThePeacoat - April 7, 2011 7:34 a.m.

festafreak totally beat me to it - Amnesia: The Dark Descent!
  • NanoElite666 - April 7, 2011 6:51 a.m.

Headphones are a must for the likes of the Golden Sun games and Advance Wars Days of Ruin, as those games feature fantastic soundtracks that cannot be properly appreciated via just your GBA's or DS's speakers.
  • The4X - April 7, 2011 5:23 a.m.

Get your dirty ears of Masha!111