• db1331 - February 28, 2014 1:21 p.m.

The G11 was my favorite gun in Black Ops. I gave it the code name "Breadbox." I used to absolutely wreck people with that thing. I thought I was going to see the 870 shotgun on here, but then again, I think it's wildly popular irl as well. Also, the M1 Garand. Everyone loves it in every WWII shooter because of the loud PING it makes when you fire the last round in the mag. But I remember seeing a special that said the soldiers using it quickly realized that sound was a great way to notify the enemy that you were out of ammo and had to reload. This lead to soldiers changing out mags before firing the last shot, which wasted ammo.
  • Sigint - March 9, 2014 6:47 p.m.

The article is about how games make uncommon firearms in real life to be used wide spread or standard by troops. IE Desert Eagle (Though there are rumors the Israeli Special Forces used it during a raid once), XM8 Rifle, and G43. The M1 Garand was WIDELY used by the US forces, save the early years of WWII for the Marines until they adopted it. I think the issue you brought up with the M1 Garand would be for an article about issues with popular rifles and not the over use of low to minor production firearms.
  • koepkejj - March 10, 2014 11:16 p.m.

It seems as though you did not look at that section of the article close enough. The weapon of conversation was he Type 5, which was the Japanese model of the M1. It looks a lot like the M1, but it has a few Japanese characteristics. The author pointed out that it never really got produced, because it came about too late in the war. The game that uses it needed a weapon comparable to the M1 so as not to have the Americans too powerful.
  • Sigint - March 12, 2014 7:02 a.m.

I wasn't talking about hte Type 5, unless this response wasn't aimed at me. Because from the db1331's post he was talking about the M1 Garand should be on the list due to it being 'Over Popular' even though it -was- widely used instead of how the story is about, in short 'Barely used guns overly used in games'. So I hope I didn't cause confusion.
  • P0ck3tC1am - May 19, 2014 3:29 p.m.

ok what ever GR site...gg
  • P0ck3tC1am - May 19, 2014 3:28 p.m.

Remington 870 mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • P0ck3tC1am - May 19, 2014 3:29 p.m.

the Remmington 879...mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • R_U_Guys_From_British - February 28, 2014 11:52 a.m.

These are the features I like best, gaming and history COMBINED!
  • JakePPetersen - February 28, 2014 1:03 p.m.

I love hearing that, because I'd love to do more gaming vs history articles like this in the future.
  • aaroz-ezio - February 28, 2014 4:57 a.m.

where the heck is the mofo'ing BFG?
  • AgentSmith2518 - February 28, 2014 3:04 a.m.

I really liked this. As a gun enthusiast I really liked that I'm not the only one who noticed a lot of these things.
  • Shayz - February 28, 2014 2:34 a.m.

At first I thought that this article was going to be about the most OP weapons in videogames that actually are horrible in real life. The only one in this list that I recognised as being annoyingly good was the PTRS-41 Either way, definitely interesting.
  • GoldenEagle1476 - February 27, 2014 6:09 p.m.

Nice read, very interesting. It's a shame about the WA-2000, probably my favorite video game sniper and it turns out that less than 200 were manufactured.
  • talleyXIV - February 27, 2014 5:45 p.m.

"in the underrated Mercenaries 2: World in Flames." So now this game is okay?
  • kyle94 - February 27, 2014 4:32 p.m.

This was a really interesting article. A lot of these things I didn't know, or didn't know much details about. (Hell, I've never even heard of the Japanese Type 5) I can't remember where I read/heard it, but I remember reading something about the WA2000 in the Hitman series, talking about how it would actually be a stupid idea to hide it dissembled in a briefcase and assemble it whenever you need it, as it's so sensitive that you would be ruining the accuracy by taking it apart so often.
  • kebhow - February 27, 2014 4:15 p.m.

well-written article, thanks for this. It expands my narrow knowledge of weapons in real life : )
  • GOD - February 27, 2014 3:39 p.m.

Despite Uncharted being arcadey with it's gunplay, it's Desert Eagle (that they renamed the Desert-5) was actually pretty accurate to your description. It had a hell of a kick and although it was usually pretty accurate there would be that random shot that now and then that goes off course. Good read, although I wonder who the gun expert at GR is? It's attributed to the staff so I guess this is individual is trying to avoid being put on any lists.......
  • BladedFalcon - February 27, 2014 3:33 p.m.

Heh, interesting, this article is clearly written by only one person, but it's filed under "GamesRadar Staff". Which means that whoever wrote this, probably feels ashamed or doesn't want people to know that he/she's a gun enthusiast. A shame really, even though I'm not in favor of real life of guns myself, I think it's sad this is a kind of hobby people feel like they need to hide. Anyway, pretty damn fascinating article, and I enjoyed it a lot! These articles that mix real life knowledge and apply it to games are always a great time. Also, I know most of these weapons, but was never a a fan of any of them anyway save perhaps the Gewehr 43, mainly because I like semi auto rifles that are very accurate as well.
  • homestar99 - February 27, 2014 4:59 p.m.

What do you mean? The author box clearly says Jake Petersen.
  • BladedFalcon - February 27, 2014 6:10 p.m.

...Huh, Well, it does NOW, but back in the first hour that this was posted, it said "GamesRadar Staff" At any rate, this is good! I'm happy he decided not to hide his identity anymore ^^ Kudos Mr. Petersen!
  • GR_HenryGilbert - February 27, 2014 9:10 p.m.

Sorry, that was a mistake on my part. The author is correct now
  • BladedFalcon - February 27, 2014 10:47 p.m.

Oh! So it was just a mistake? Haha man, I now feel silly for making my previous assumption ^^;