• Grif - January 22, 2013 8:24 p.m.

Battling demons in the nude with no mention of Bayonetta! This is an outrage! /sarcasm I get it she fights angels. But she is still nude. I do want to mention that while a concerning large amount of games do this, some don't. Like say, Mirror's Edge (ignore my avatar, no pun intended). Strong female lead, can handle herself, not over sexualized, and has a relationship with her sister that doesn't seem out of place. Ignoring the shitty storyline, Mirror's Edge had a decent cast of characters.
  • jgrif91 - January 22, 2013 5:25 p.m.

No kidding video games lie about women. A character that ceaselessly nags, gains 50 pounds after they figure out a guy likes them romantically, and forces other people to watch some of the worst cinema in existence is not likeable. So forgive men for wanting something better when they pay for a virtual experience.
  • shinkeiDEI - January 22, 2013 4:55 p.m.

...and then you have Shepard...
  • profile0000 - January 22, 2013 3:03 p.m.

I've noticed that women are nowhere near as expendable as men in videogames though. How often are the majority of people/minions that one kills in games women? Not saying that justifies how women are portrayed at all, just thought that was a kinda interesting observation.
  • metalgatesolid - January 22, 2013 1:48 p.m.

Would rockstar be brave enough to make next gen GTA star a female?? That would be amazing and i would love to see how they could tackle that.
  • Vincent Wolf - January 23, 2013 5:22 a.m.

If they do that and make her hot, then it will be the first GTA I'd ever play.
  • archnite - January 23, 2013 12:46 p.m.

I thought Meryl was a good character until the "hurry up the fucking character development" moment between her and Johnny in MGS4 where she suddenly falls in love with the well meaning dweeb in 2 minutes. Her motivation was to be a good solider, but was she doing that just because she was a woman and the daughter of a dead beat dad? You have to find her through butt-sense...maybe I was wrong.
  • Tyrande - January 22, 2013 11:52 a.m.

As much as i love JRPGs, they are the first to have almost all the problems on this list. especially the Tales series for me. no star ocean series too and grandia series, ff VII onward... in a way *sigh* the Persona series also... guess all of them
  • Kytl - January 26, 2013 7:22 p.m.

What about Fire Emblem? The women tend to be less ridiculous than in other Japanese RPGs.
  • FemJesse - January 22, 2013 11:28 a.m.

It is funny to point out that even though there are more women than men on the planet, only 1 in 5 game characters is a woman. I guess it would be too difficult to differentiate between women that are about as deep as a puddle because you can't write for them, so you get the token woman scenario. As far as the objectification goes, I think most women secretly prefer attractive female leads and then complain about it later to appear feminist. Ladies are just as guilty as men for not meaning what they say. If we really felt that way, the models in our clothing catalogues would be more modest looking. Just something to think about.
  • Balaska - January 22, 2013 10:51 a.m.

Yest one character made up for all of this. Alyx Vance.
  • Vincent Wolf - January 23, 2013 5:21 a.m.

I wish I could understand all this hype about Alyx. She's like.... NOTHING. She's not even a woman I'd look second time at if I met her in real life. She's bland as fuck, nothing interesting, just a regular girl.
  • winner2 - January 22, 2013 10:17 a.m.

Another lie: women are generally attractive and perfectly symmetrical. Or is that just me?
  • TBone4Ever - January 26, 2013 9:38 a.m.

Nah, that's just you... Personally, I thought women are always made of sand, and have a artifical mini faucet just underneath their eyes but the then again, that just me...
  • Vincent Wolf - January 28, 2013 4:31 a.m.

generally attractive... what country you live in? I'm surprised if I meet even 1 per week.
  • KA87 - January 22, 2013 6 a.m.

Oh, come on. Not all female villians turn into monsters, sometime your character turns them good and ends up sleeping with them.
  • Vincent Wolf - January 22, 2013 5:21 a.m.

Bs article... Also EE my favorite size, wish there were more of those. Bite me.
  • TheCakeIsaPie - January 22, 2013 10:31 a.m.

Surprisingly, he's still single, ladies! Get him while he lasts!
  • Vincent Wolf - January 23, 2013 5:19 a.m.

Well you're one really fail telepath. Not even a nice try.