• JimmyCooldaddy - January 20, 2014 7:06 a.m.

I want whatever quantic dream is cooking!
  • GenderBender_9000 - January 20, 2014 6:49 a.m.

Is the PS home still in beta form, or have they finally offically released it?
  • Shigeruken - January 20, 2014 5:29 a.m.

I think there may be a price drop in the Aus/NZ region for the PS4, because it's not in line with the US/EU pricing and Microsoft's console is priced more competitively here than it is in the US/EU regions. They will also need to restructure PSN's digital pricing structure if they want digital services to compete with retail here. As an example, the Ghosts season pass costs more on PSN than the PC version of the game itself. Most retailers had the last of us for 60-90 NZD at launch, whereas is was $109 on PSN. Microsoft has been desperately trying to win back the Aus/NZ region after the whole 'screw anyone outside the US' main territories' thing, but they haven't gotten far. It wouldn't take much for Sony to lock it down for the generation.
  • GR_AndyHartup - January 20, 2014 5:53 a.m.

I hope you guys in Aus / NZ do get a price cut. I guess it's shipping costs raising the price, right? As for digital game pricing - PSN store prices for full games are higher than retail in Europe too, which is madness. Wouldn't expect that to change suddenly in 2014. Reckon we'll see cheaper digital prices more in the second half of this generation. 2016 onwards, as a guess...
  • Shigeruken - January 20, 2014 6:07 a.m.

Yeah probably shipping costs, I think the PS3 launched at $1200 here (PS4 launched at 649). But because the X1 is only 100 NZD more expensive than the PS4 here, at launch the bigger retailers were selling it for $700. Even a $20 drop in PS4 rrp would prevent the disparity is pricing becoming inconsequential in a gamer's list of pros and cons. I've always been baffled by PSN pricing outside of the US and Japan. I know there's a different set of legal boundaries that most US publishers seem to think of as being additional costs, but it's just so damned extravagant it makes me laugh sometimes. I do have to admit that the EU/Aus/NZ Instant Game collection titles have been better on the whole though, which is the silver lining I suppose. Bring on 2016!
  • Swedish_Chef - January 20, 2014 6:28 a.m.

I feel you man, the prices for systems over here in Australia aren't as bad as in New Zealand but they're definitely overpriced. The Xbone costs $598 and the PS4 costs $548 just for the system alone, while the Wii-U does fare a little better costing $428 for the premium bundle it still costs a lot more than it should. And yeah they need to fix their online pricing structure for over here, buying games over PSN is just stupid expensive compared to buying retail.
  • ljrivarola - January 20, 2014 8:36 a.m.

I live in Argentina and here the PS4 costs more than $1100 and it's just the console with one Dualshock 4. Nothing else. And Xbox One still isn't in the country officialy, so there is no competition. I'm 100% sure that the price won't drop. And PSN? $109 for Borderlands 2 with no DLC. And retail here? $120 for The Last Of Us. That's why my main account is set as an American account, so I can buy PSN Cards and then buy my games on the American PSN, because every other option is way too expensive for me. Also, the Wii U costs about $1000 and it has NO advertising here. Most people here still think that the Wii is the latest Nintendo console.
  • garnsr - January 20, 2014 10:30 a.m.

Doesn't the coutry of origin make a difference with tariffs or something when sending products to other countries? Wasn't there something about Sony having to pay more to sell in South America, because they're Japanese, than Microsoft, because they're American? I don't think shipping costs are really the problem. I don't know why digital games should be more though, I guess just because everything else costs more, they figure they can just keep the prices crazy, reason doesn't seem to enter into digital pricing on consoles.
  • Eightboll812 - January 20, 2014 3:52 p.m.

I highly doubt that country of origin is a factor. I believe Xbone is also manufactured either in China or some other similar asian country. Both corporations are MN, so how do you say "this one is Japanese and that one is American?" when they both operate in the same set of countries? I dunno how that works, but I would assume Sony could just say PS4 is a product of "Sony America" and get the same tarriff regulations that MS gets.
  • garnsr - January 20, 2014 6:55 p.m.

Looking around a bit, it looks like Microsoft is building some XBones in Brazil, to cut the price down to only $1000 or so, compared to $1800 for the PS4. It looks like import taxes are the primary cause. Considering how many ways companies have to avoid paying anybody any money for the money they make, it's surprising they still have to pay taxes for anything, anywhere. Maybe Australia is better at getting the companies with money to help pay for the people who live in the world, and buy their products, so those companies raise their prices, so they can keep making more and more money.
  • GOD - January 20, 2014 10:42 p.m.

Maybe you already do this, but what's stopping you from setting up a second account for another region and using the PSN store through that account? As far as I know there was no way it could stop you in the past, unless something has changed since then.
  • Shigeruken - January 21, 2014 1:10 a.m.

I do this for the Japan region of the store, but it requires either a credit card from the account's country of origin, or prepaid cards. If I were primarily a PS3/PS4 gamer, I would probably invest in a US region account, but as Sony retail games quickly fall to similar prices here, and PS+ sales are often equivalently priced across most regions, it's easier just to avoid the hassle entirely by avoiding PSN for new digital purchases. Even though option exists, I would prefer my region's store to be priced realistically.
  • Shigeruken - January 21, 2014 1:16 a.m.

I normally think of think of Australia being in the same boat as far as games are concerned, but I'm very glad to hear you've got it a little better in terms of hardware cost. Thanks for pointing that out, I may be able to save close to $100 by having my cousin bring an X1 back for me as a gift. And if import tax screws me, it would only cost about $150 more for me to fly over to visit for the weekend and come back with an X1 haha.
  • Eightboll812 - January 20, 2014 3:49 p.m.

I doubt it's shipping. It all comes from China, so without looking at a globe to double check, I do think the shipping route to Aus is a little shorter than to the US.