Jose Padilha finding RoboCop "hell" to make
Reports of studio interference hit the web
Weekly digests, tales from the communities you love, and more
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
Want to add more newsletters?
Every Friday
GamesRadar+
Your weekly update on everything you could ever want to know about the games you already love, games we know you're going to love in the near future, and tales from the communities that surround them.
Every Thursday
GTA 6 O'clock
Our special GTA 6 newsletter, with breaking news, insider info, and rumor analysis from the award-winning GTA 6 O'clock experts.
Every Friday
Knowledge
From the creators of Edge: A weekly videogame industry newsletter with analysis from expert writers, guidance from professionals, and insight into what's on the horizon.
Every Thursday
The Setup
Hardware nerds unite, sign up to our free tech newsletter for a weekly digest of the hottest new tech, the latest gadgets on the test bench, and much more.
Every Wednesday
Switch 2 Spotlight
Sign up to our new Switch 2 newsletter, where we bring you the latest talking points on Nintendo's new console each week, bring you up to date on the news, and recommend what games to play.
Every Saturday
The Watchlist
Subscribe for a weekly digest of the movie and TV news that matters, direct to your inbox. From first-look trailers, interviews, reviews and explainers, we've got you covered.
Once a month
SFX
Get sneak previews, exclusive competitions and details of special events each month!
Jose Padilha's RoboCop remake had seemingly been progressing ultra-smoothly, with one big-name star after another queuing up to join the production. However, according to the director's friend, Fernando Meirelles, things have not been so peachy behind the scenes.
"I talked to José Padilha last week by phone," said Meirelles in an interview with Cinemacom Rapadura . "He will begin filming RoboCop [ but ] he is saying that it is the worst experience. For every ten ideas he has, nine are cut. Whatever he wants, he has to fight [ for ]."
"‘This is hell here,’ he told me," says Meirelles. "‘The film will be good, but I never suffered so much and do not want to do it again.’ He is bitter, but he’s a fighter."
None of which sounds terribly promising for a film we had been harbouring fairly high hopes for, not least because of its impressive ensemble cast which includes Joel Kinnaman, Gary Oldman, Samuel L. Jackson, Abbie Cornish, Jay Baruchel and Michael K. Williams.
Obviously we've got to take into account the 'Chinese whispers' element of the report (Meirelles' comments have been translated into English), and will hold back on too much speculation until we get a statement direct from the horse's mouth.
Given that it will have been Padilha's vision for the project that likely snared those big names in the first place, we can only hope that MGM don't mess with his ideas too much. We'll find out for sure when the film opens in the UK on 9 August 2013.
Bringing all the latest movie news, features, and reviews to your inbox
George was once GamesRadar's resident movie news person, based out of London. He understands that all men must die, but he'd rather not think about it. But now he's working at Stylist Magazine.



