Guillermo del Toro reveals original, scrapped plot of Pacific Rim 2
Mako Mori would have been the movie's main character
Weekly digests, tales from the communities you love, and more
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
Want to add more newsletters?
Every Friday
GamesRadar+
Your weekly update on everything you could ever want to know about the games you already love, games we know you're going to love in the near future, and tales from the communities that surround them.
Every Thursday
GTA 6 O'clock
Our special GTA 6 newsletter, with breaking news, insider info, and rumor analysis from the award-winning GTA 6 O'clock experts.
Every Friday
Knowledge
From the creators of Edge: A weekly videogame industry newsletter with analysis from expert writers, guidance from professionals, and insight into what's on the horizon.
Every Thursday
The Setup
Hardware nerds unite, sign up to our free tech newsletter for a weekly digest of the hottest new tech, the latest gadgets on the test bench, and much more.
Every Wednesday
Switch 2 Spotlight
Sign up to our new Switch 2 newsletter, where we bring you the latest talking points on Nintendo's new console each week, bring you up to date on the news, and recommend what games to play.
Every Saturday
The Watchlist
Subscribe for a weekly digest of the movie and TV news that matters, direct to your inbox. From first-look trailers, interviews, reviews and explainers, we've got you covered.
Once a month
SFX
Get sneak previews, exclusive competitions and details of special events each month!
Guillermo del Toro has revealed his original plans for Pacific Rim 2 that were ultimately scrapped.
The first movie, directed by del Toro, was released in 2013 and is set in a version of the future where humanity is at war with the kaiju, huge sea monsters who have emerged from a portal in the Pacific Ocean.
Del Toro wrote a script for a sequel, but, by the time 2018's Pacific Rim: Uprising was in the works, Steven S. DeKnight had taken over the director's chair and the script had been replaced. So, what could have been?
"The villain was this tech guy that had invented basically sort of the internet 2.0," del Toro said in a recent interview with The Wrap. "And then they realized that all his patents came to him one morning. And so little by little, they started putting together this and they said, ‘Oh, he got them from the precursors.’ The guys that control the kaiju. And then we found out that the precursors are us thousands of years in the future. They’re trying to terraform, trying to re-harvest the earth to survive. Wow. And that we were in exo-bio-suits that looked alien, but they were not. We were inside. And it was a really interesting paradox."
The director also added that he wanted the sequel to focus more on Mako Mori, played by Rinko Kikuchi. "To me, the hero was Mako Mori," he said. "I wanted her not only to live, I wanted her to be one of the main characters in the second movie."
Del Toro's next movie, Nightmare Alley, arrives in theaters on December 17 in the US and January 21 in the UK. In the meantime, fill out your watch list with our picks of the best Netflix movies to stream right now.
Bringing all the latest movie news, features, and reviews to your inbox

I’m an Entertainment Writer here at GamesRadar+, covering everything film and TV-related. I help bring you all the latest news, features, and reviews, as well as helming our Big Screen Spotlight column. I’ve previously written for publications like HuffPost and i-D after getting my NCTJ Diploma in Multimedia Journalism.


