Tekken DLC will never cost extra for new fighters, says Harada
TXSF producer “would never sell [characters] individually”
Weekly digests, tales from the communities you love, and more
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
Want to add more newsletters?
Every Friday
GamesRadar+
Your weekly update on everything you could ever want to know about the games you already love, games we know you're going to love in the near future, and tales from the communities that surround them.
Every Thursday
GTA 6 O'clock
Our special GTA 6 newsletter, with breaking news, insider info, and rumor analysis from the award-winning GTA 6 O'clock experts.
Every Friday
Knowledge
From the creators of Edge: A weekly videogame industry newsletter with analysis from expert writers, guidance from professionals, and insight into what's on the horizon.
Every Thursday
The Setup
Hardware nerds unite, sign up to our free tech newsletter for a weekly digest of the hottest new tech, the latest gadgets on the test bench, and much more.
Every Wednesday
Switch 2 Spotlight
Sign up to our new Switch 2 newsletter, where we bring you the latest talking points on Nintendo's new console each week, bring you up to date on the news, and recommend what games to play.
Every Saturday
The Watchlist
Subscribe for a weekly digest of the movie and TV news that matters, direct to your inbox. From first-look trailers, interviews, reviews and explainers, we've got you covered.
Once a month
SFX
Get sneak previews, exclusive competitions and details of special events each month!
Katsuhiro Harada, producer of the Tekken series and upcoming crossover spinoff Tekken X Street Fighter, says the idea of charging extra for downloadable bonus characters goes against his fighting-game philosophy – and that he has no plans for the Tekken series to follow Street Fighter's example.
“I see the characters and their move sets as chess pieces,” the producer explained to attendees at last week's Las Vegas-hosted Namco Bandai Global Gamer Day: “they are essential items necessary in the game and we would never sell any of those individually.”
Above: Three of the chess pieces from Harada's Tekken Tag Tournament 2, due for console release this September
The Tekken producer says that his series “has never had DLC before and charged for it,” stressing that he “was saying this before the Capcom thing happened – my stance hasn't changed.” He refers, of course, to the controversy surrounding Capcom's on-disc DLC, to be sold via upcoming Street Fighter X Tekken roster updates.
Harada's anxious not to be seen as criticizing this strategy – “it's Capcom's business decision, obviously” – but he says such a move wouldn't suit Tekken.
However, the producer hasn't ruled out other paid DLC for the series. “There are some strange people on Twitter who ask for really peculiar items,” he admits. If the team were to bow to fan requests and create in-game content not covered by the original budget, “obviously we’d have to charge a little bit for such items.”
Weekly digests, tales from the communities you love, and more


