• gilgamesh310 - December 23, 2010 1:39 a.m.

LordUberDowzeb, I didn't necessarily say that pc gaming was dying I was just making the assumption which is what that part of the article is about. The elevator rides may take time in Mass Effect but they don't take 5 minutes. Is there really that much of a difference on the pc version? As regards the price issue, well most people will have tv's already, they don't need to be that big either. Big controllers, I don't know what you mean by that, a controller is a controller and they are fairly cheap! I know that most people will have a pc already but the constant upgrades needed to play games like Crysis can amount too quite a lot of expenses. There are stuff like crashes and stuff that can interfere with the gaming sessions as well which I didn't mention before. You are right what you said about piracy but I still reckon a few people are downloading games because of the reason I mentioned.
  • Endymion - December 23, 2010 12:03 a.m.

It's a little too harsh to say that pirates have killed an entire console. PC gaming will never die, and I know for a fact that there have to be at least a few people like me who would rather not game than be forced to shell out cash for a console. I've heard of a few "great" games over my lifetime that were console-only. I play the ones I can emulate and ignore the rest. Give people the option, and yes, they will refuse to cough up their hard-earned cash. Maybe that should say something about the products, rather than the consumers. We live in a capitalist world, and that means we hold on to our money for dear life, giving it up for necessities only. And you know what? Gaming isn't a necessity when there are games like Dwarf Fortress, OpenTTD, Freeciv, LinCity, and NetHack out there. I support freedom in all its forms, not the corporate overstate.
  • lovinmyps3 - December 22, 2010 11:46 p.m.

Seems like this article could be effectively renamed "Worst Dick Moves Ever Pulled On Developers by PC Gamers." Self-righteous cunts.
  • LordUberDowzen - December 22, 2010 9:31 p.m.

@ gilgamesh310, I have to take issue with what you've said. 1. PC gaming is not dying. Tell that to the 20+ million people on Steam or the 12+ million WoW players. 2. Gaming PCs are more expensive than consoles but Console + Big TV + controllers is not that much cheaper than equivalent PC + monitor + keyboard and mouse. Bearing in mind it's very hard to get by in life without some form of PC why not just take that console money and spend it on getting a better PC? 3. Long installation process with short load times > No install with 5 minute elevator rides in Mass Effect. 4. The "game X might not run on my system" thing pretty much died out years ago. It has been a long time since a new game hasn't run on my system. As long as you keep your PC tidy (don't install too much crap on it) you'll have next to no problems. 5. Pirating a game to see if it works is utterly pointless as often the cracks put into the game to break the DRM actually make it less likely to work.
  • d0x - December 22, 2010 9:14 p.m.

I cant be the only person who hates hearing about Half Life 2's amazing revolutionary physics? First off they arent. Valve didnt make the physics engine Havok did and it was used in many games before HL2 to the same degree. The only difference was valve used it in simplistic puzzles. Second on the topic of HL2...it was not top of the line in terms of graphics when it was released. It had nice textures and was very clean but it wasnt exactly loaded to the hilt with shader effects. I loved the game but the things it gets praise for...it didnt do first and it didnt do best. Drives me crazy! Hell PSI-OPS a mid range console game did the exact same stuff with physics almost a year before.
  • waitingforCharlietosnap - December 22, 2010 8:10 p.m.

Wow, man, great article. I still can never get over the fact that L4D2 boycotters were found playing the game. Cracks me up.
  • BurntToShreds - December 22, 2010 8:03 p.m.

Sure, Valve does provide a lot of free content, but I didn't like it when they implemented a cash shop for TF2. You can now pay real money for items, such as hats and actual weapons that influence gameplay. They also added item crates to the drop system, and you have to buy keys with real money to open them. Combined with the limit to the amount of random item drops you can get, they really shied away from giving players freee content.
  • Ravenbom - December 22, 2010 6:55 p.m.

The title should be: Worst dick moves ever pulled on developers by "PC gamers", not gamers. Anyways, not all PC gamers are dicks but it's bad enough that they have severely damaged their own hobby. Still, PC gaming will always have a place. In fact, it's become the Mecca for indie gaming. Look at N, it started as a free flash game and became a profitable console port.
  • Baron164 - December 22, 2010 6:53 p.m.

I use to Pirate PC games constantly but then I grew up, got a real job and I can afford to actually buy games. Unfortunately none of thsoe games are pc games because I never play games on my pc anymore. Primarily because I was sick and tired of buying a new video card every 6 months.
  • Syncmaster - December 22, 2010 6:10 p.m.

I agree with most of these, real dick moves. except with starcraft 2 being made in 3 games. I just cant believe they did that, if the campaign had a closure I would understand, but as it is.. damn not, half the missions on the game were not even barely important. epic game? yes. a real greed move on the devolopers? hell yeah.
  • nikakd - December 22, 2010 6:06 p.m.

90% of piracy sounds like a lot, but if there wasn't piracy, games sales wouldn't be a lot bigger than now. Granted, they deserve their money (specially World of Goo), but maybe PC gamers won't buy their games because we don't like the simple, console games they make. Now, stealing the Indie Pack, that is just wrong.
  • sklorbit - December 22, 2010 5:46 p.m.

If u pirate u are poor and pathetic. give developers the money they deserve, even if its a rich company like blizzard. who the hell do these people think they are anyway? just cause you dont want to spend your money doesnt mean your entitled to something. We live in a country where you have what you can buy, and if you cant buy you shouldnt have. People for some reason believe if they cant buy, they can justifiably steal it. SUPPORT DEVS PEOPLE
  • OddWoN ER - December 22, 2010 5:14 p.m.

in a way this boycott was a lot like PETA...may have good intentions somewhere but sure as hell not gonna change anything
  • gelopogas - December 22, 2010 4 p.m.

dude, ive known about this for a long time but never knew the extent, the hackers on their high horses can go f#$% themselves, they ruin the former pc name and in a worst case can cause new developers to give up, how much of a dick do you have to be to steal the humble indie bundle
  • ryno - December 22, 2010 3:31 p.m.

if Half life 2 ep3 isnt released by the end of january 2011. we fans are going to form an angry mob. there doing the same thing 3d realms did with dnf.
  • gilgamesh310 - December 22, 2010 2:26 p.m.

Piracy might be one of the reasons why PC gaming is dying out but I strongly doubt it's the only reason. There are plenty of other factors to take into account, like the high cost of gaming PCs, the installation process which can take some time before you can actually play the game. You can nevre even know that the game is going to run properly,or at all on a PC either. If that figure of the amount of people that download Crysis to the amount of people that buy it is actuall true I would imagine it's because most people don't want to risk buying the game and discovering that it won't actually run properly on their PCs. It's just handier to download it and find out if ir works properly or not free of charage.
  • CharlieFockstrot - December 22, 2010 2:01 p.m.

Why are PC games cheaper if piracy is worse than consoles?
  • japstersam - December 22, 2010 12:37 p.m.

Not sure why people justify pirating games by saying they cannot afford them, they are too expensive. That's like saying its fine to steal a Ferrari, because it's too expensive and you cannot afford it. Just don't have it at all and either save, or buy something cheaper. I also really like having the box and the manual to go with the game so would hate having the game without them. You also can't blame PC devs for being lazier with PC games, as this is exactly why. Why develop mainly for a platform when (as per the example) 19/20 of your units will be stolen from you?
  • HawtKakez - December 22, 2010 12:21 p.m.

It's rather interesting reading these comments and getting two very different sides of the situation. After reading all of this, it really makes me wish I could invest some time and energy to help alleviate the strain of piracy in the PC gaming market. I personally am a home console gamer but I am, and still, interested in making my own PC gaming system because I feel it would help diversify my gaming experiences. I noticed a few comments suggesting that piracy isn't as imperative of a problem as the price structure for PC gaming hardware. As I observed, the number of copies both purchased and pirated is a rather substantial number. So, though the hardware costs are significant, there appears to be a significant install base that is unfortunately practicing piracy. As a side note, I noticed the comment that those who may pirate are thought to be dependent adolescent gamers who have a limited resources. I wonder if a decent way to reduce piracy in this demographic is to put a complicated mathematical equation in the installation of the software. Heck, it might help them with their studies to work for their pirated copy. Joking aside, keep up the great work GR.
  • philipshaw - December 22, 2010 11:54 a.m.

Don't get why Valve have got so much shit happen to them. They are one of my favorite developers and if they want to take time making a game, then I trust them