• bass88 - March 28, 2012 4:17 a.m.

Castle Of Illusion was great. What did you think of Mickey Mania / Mickey's Wild Adventure? I always felt that game was a little underrated as it showcased some neat innovations (I'm pretty sure the Epic Mickey guys gave it a playthrough once).
  • GR_JustinTowell - March 28, 2012 5:52 a.m.

Mickey Mania was class. I rented the Mega Drive version for a weekend back in the day and couldn't believe the visual quality. That rotating tower and the front of the house that shifted perspective as you approached was magnificent. I thought some sections were better than others. I played the PSone version again recently after buying it from the PS Store. It's aged decently, but all the things that were remarkable at the time now look dated, so it actually isn't as timeless as the Illusion games.
  • bass88 - March 28, 2012 7:06 a.m.

True, it hasn't aged as well (the impressive animation actually proves to be a nuisance many a time). but I remember being blown away in the first level as the colour crept into the screen. It was so gradual it took me a while to cop on. I think that's when I realised games could employ artistic ideas (remember, I was only a child then - I wasn't playing RPGs at that point). Hard to believe it's David Jaffe's first game. No way to predict Twisted Metal would be his next.
  • Cyberninja - March 28, 2012 3:51 a.m.

looked at the screen for the 3ds game in NP and they look very nice, plus its by dreamrift so I know the game will live up to your standards.
  • Vordhosbn - March 28, 2012 2:39 a.m.

Nice, the Megadrive games were a great example of well done licensed content, was a shame about Fantasia though, bloody difficult game that :( The Magical Quest Mickey game on Snes was pretty sweet too, I remember being in awe of the use of colours and graphics in that game. Dated now, but I still think it looks pretty spectacular for a 16 bit era game.
  • GR_JustinTowell - March 28, 2012 3:06 a.m.

Magical Quest was indeed impressive too. But I wanted to concentrate on the Illusion series because that's the one being revived. As for Fantasia, basically, if they'd called it 'Fantasia of Illusion', it would've been ten times better. Fact :P
  • AuthorityFigure - March 28, 2012 1:47 a.m.

Yes, the Megadrive/Genesis games really were good, solid platformers. Nice controls, and had some of that Disney magic that has since been watered down by canned animations.