• KA87 - November 8, 2012 4:37 p.m.

The final boss fight from Dark Souls was great. A turly hard fight against a tough boss in one of the hardest games you will ever play. It was so rewarding to beat him and his 4 arms into the ground. "We'd hate to see you go hallow on us he he he."
  • GR_RyanTaljonick - November 8, 2012 5:37 p.m.

FFFFFF so many good Dark Souls bosses.
  • cyborgcolossus - November 8, 2012 4:52 p.m.

Saren, ME1
  • J-Fid - November 8, 2012 4:59 p.m.

I could go with Red like most Pokemon fans would, but I have a lot more fun fighting his rival Blue. Instead of just choosing to fight Red, I plow though four poor fools (albiet challenging) for the ultimate reward. No matter how strong my own Pokemon are, the battle always finds a way to be challenging. Blue's theme still gives me chills (the good kind if that actually exists). Oh yeah, I get to fight Blue while playing as Red. Win - win situation. Without this battle, we wouldn't be able to challenge Red on Mt. Silver.
  • Aarononymous - November 8, 2012 5:06 p.m.

How has nobody said Majora yet? The end of MM stands out, even among Zelda games, due to its trippy/creepy vibe. Also, Dullahan from the Golden Sun series.
  • ironmanextremis105 - November 8, 2012 5:11 p.m.

Naked Snake vs The Boss nuff said
  • ThatGamerDude - November 8, 2012 5:20 p.m.

For me, my favorite boss battle of all time is probably Vanitas from Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep. Really, there's a lot of KH boss battles that could be my favorite!
  • Ichthus5 - November 8, 2012 5:42 p.m.

One of my favorites is definitely the last fight in the original Dead Rising. It's tough to top fisticuffs with a tough-as-nails SWAT guy on top of a tank surrounded by zombies.
  • bebl09 - November 8, 2012 5:57 p.m.

Your rival in the first Pokemon games. Having the running battles with him throughout the game and him always being one step ahead of you at all the gyms you came to, then finally beating him at the end of the Elite 4. That was just epic.
  • optimisticcynic - November 8, 2012 6:19 p.m.

Dark link was ridiculously easy. you take out your hammer and he can't block it. beat him with it a couple times and the round is over. no strategy, it is basically hammering in a naile
  • barrage7667 - November 8, 2012 6:46 p.m.

Got a couple worth mentioning: The final time you fight with Jeanne in Bayonetta is absolutely epic in proportion, buildings crash into buildings, missles are thrown, missles are fought on. Not to mention its incredibly fast pace and fluidity. The final Boss (Vergil) in DMC3 (DMD mode). This is my hardest boss fight I have won. Unless you have a ridiculous amount of health potions and the like, the only way you can take him down is to know his moves or have incredible reflexes. It was so frustrating and aggrivating but SOOOO satisfying when I finally took him down. Psycho Mantis MGS: Physical labor (while minimal) is actually required. Also, he knows I play the Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros Melee. HOW DOES HE KNOW!! HE CAN READ YOUR MIND!!!
  • Darkhawk - November 8, 2012 7:07 p.m.

Yeah that Jeanne fight is epic. It's the only time in a video game that I've ever really felt like I was in an epic sci-fi swordfight. Fluidly jumping from wall to wall to ceiling while maintaining expert and skillful timing? Amazing. That battle alone is the reason I have faith in MGS: Rising.
  • RebornKusabi - November 8, 2012 6:54 p.m.

Hands-****ing down, my favorite boss fight of all time is False King Allant from Demon's Souls. He is an incredibly agile, human boss that you must dodge and fight because his attacks hit HARD and he has the ability to eat one of your soul levels. He fights like pretty much nothing in the entire game and odds are, he is one of the last bosses you'll be fighting before the final boss and boy goddamn howdy does it feel like it. Even the music is amazing and feels suitably epic. The only boss that I feel comes close is Ganon (not Ganondorf, the pig version) and that is because of the music and the feeling of high-stakes at work.
  • winner2 - November 9, 2012 5:24 a.m.

Totally agree. Allant is a major dick. I think the only guy that comes close to matching him is the fire demon before the dragon god. No glitch involved, he is like borderline impossible for me.
  • D0CCON - November 8, 2012 7:01 p.m.

I remember Alpha from Megaman Battle Network 3 very well and I fought and beat him 9 years ago (and yet it still feels recent, I got into MBN in summer camp where we constantly had link battles). That boss was a huge pain to take down and took me a week or two to finally win, but damn was it satisfying killing that asshole. Now I can fight him and usually beat him on my first try (at the very least I'll beat him within my first 3). To be honest, I loved nearly every boss in every MBN game. Megaman in general always gets amazing bosses.
  • Godzillarex - November 8, 2012 7:33 p.m.

The hardest boss fight I've ever played was Vulcan Raven in the original Metal Gear Solid on extreme difficulty. It literally took me days to bring him down. Memorable boss battles include fighting Ray in MGGS4 as Rex, Fighting Smithy in Super Mario RPG, and of course, Ganon in The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time. I don't think any game I have played after that has matched just how epic that final battle felt.
  • ABACADA6494 - November 8, 2012 7:42 p.m.

Any Colossus from Shadow of the Colossus is worthy of favorite boss battle. specifically number 3 (Gaius, along with Cooper) and 5 (the flying birdy one). Wheatley in Portal 2 (SPACE!) was quite enjoyable. Also Errol and his Dark Maker Bot from Jak 3 was exciting in that you had to chase him down and stop him from destroying the city. Jeez a lot of games have poop bosses.
  • Nocturne989 - November 8, 2012 9:55 p.m.

Pretty much any of the Colossi, Nyx from Persona 3, Young Xehanort (aka Mysterious Figure) from KH: BBS, and Lucifer from SMT: Nocturne. Love the super insanely hard bosses. Such a feeling of badassery when you finally beat them!
  • BladedFalcon - November 8, 2012 9:57 p.m.

Great Wolf Sif from Dark souls is easily my favorite Boss fight from this generation. Of all time though? Probably Nightmare from Metroid: Fusion. Not just because of the fight itself, but because of the way it was set-up and foreshadowed, with you entering a lab when things seem to be kinda normal, then you come back, and everything has gone to hell.... and then you see a shadow on the background quickly zooming from time to time. It was an incredibly eerie and creepy way to foreshadow a boss fight, and it's even more impressive considering they managed to do it using 16-bit like graphics and in 2D. Of course, the set up wouldn't matter if the actual boss fight hadn't lived up to the expectations being set up. (I'm looking at you, Killer Croc in Arkham Asylum...) But nightmare did more than deliver... He was promised to be a harrowing, super dangerous killing machine, and he was. Incredibly though and with several phases that made him more disfigured and dangerous, he was the hardest boss fight in the game by far, without even being the actual final boss. So yeah, there is a lot more epic boss fights i can think of, some being more challenging, and others more original. But none have left as much as an impact as the dread and then desperation of having to face Nightmare.
  • Rub3z - November 9, 2012 5:22 a.m.

Great Grey Wolf Sif is so awesome, agreed. And I should play some of those 2D Metroid games...