• M13 - February 25, 2013 5:16 p.m.

were people really that impressed with PS4? i wasn't blown away personally..i thought it was solid but to..social friendly for my tastes..maybe i missed something
  • Arobadope - February 25, 2013 8:19 p.m.

Nah, I'd agree with you. It was a decent conference, but not the second coming a lot of people are making it seem. I am, however, excited for both the future of the PS4 and Wii U if Sony and Nintendo choose to stick to, and keep improving, the unique functions of both their respective machines. Microsoft I obviously can't be excited for yet since nothing has been announced.
  • antiAntag0nist - February 25, 2013 4:41 p.m.

I don't know GR, you are asking a lot of a company that has used the majority of their last three E3's to hawk media apps and Kinect games instead of announcements aimed at the core. I'll admit to being more partial to the Xbox, but MS hasn't done much in my eyes lately to show they are the console of choice. I want to be completely blown away by what MS has to offer with the next Xbox, and I hope most of these predictions are true. I guess I'll call myself cautiously optimistic.
  • TristanPR77 - February 25, 2013 3:34 p.m.

I don't think Microsoft will be able to make such a good presentation as Sony did. We all know they are going to rely on kinect a lot, a lot of media and TV channels crap.
  • BladedFalcon - February 25, 2013 3:15 p.m.

So basically... you guys are asking Microsoft to match and/or top every single thing Sony did for the conference, AND on top of that you want them to ignore Kinect AND THEN surprise you some more? Heh, might as well also wish for Kim-Jong-Un to surrender himself willingly and peacefully to the US and allow North Korea be re-merged with South Korea, while you're at it :P
  • TristanPR77 - February 25, 2013 3:36 p.m.

Lol
  • GR_RyanTaljonick - February 26, 2013 10:05 a.m.

Well, basically. ^_^
  • StrayGator - February 25, 2013 3:12 p.m.

Sorry to bring (again) the bad news, but much like with Sony, we're looking at an x86 powered machine replacing a Power™, er... powered one. Different architectures, different instruction sets, different data structures, different inner workings. Different beasts ==> no (native) backwards compatibility for you.
  • Marcunio88 - February 25, 2013 3:28 p.m.

Ladies and gentlemen we have a wiener! Seriously though, you're totally correct. In fact the 360's Xenon processor has more in common with the Cell than it does with any x86 based CPU.
  • Sovtek - February 25, 2013 4:59 p.m.

The original Xbox had a CeleronM based CPU, which was definitely NOT a Power based architecture. But yet, the 360 DOEs have backwards compatibility through software emulation. There is nothing saying the next Xbox can't do that with a Power based CPU. Why? Because X86 is common architecture, and so is Power (sort of). The reason the PS4 can't emulate PS3 is because to do so through software emulation would be an absolute nightmare of trying to get the coding for the prissy Cell just right. Face it, it was only within the last year or two that developers could get native code to run on the Cell properly. No way are they even going to attempt to emulate the Cell.
  • simplethunder - February 25, 2013 2:50 p.m.

"While Sony basically does the same thing again, they aren't afraid to get their feet wet orally and fail. " Fixed.
  • Tjwoods18 - February 25, 2013 2:31 p.m.

To even assume that Microsoft is not going to push connect down our throats, or to smash Xbox glass in our face, is a complete understatement. As always, I expect Microsoft to rely on their proven titles rather than venture out onto untouched territory. They are just to comfortable with milking Gears of War and Halo — two titles you just know are going to appear on the next Xbox about three times respectfully. While Sony basically does the same, they aren't afraid to get their feet wet and fail.
  • majormoses117 - February 25, 2013 3:36 p.m.

It is perfectly normal for consoles to rely on established franchises. Halo and Gears of War for 360, Killzone and God of War for PS3. Remember how PS4 is launching with a new Killzone game? That is hardly "venturing out onto untouched territory". It sounds to me like you are arguing that Sony is better because it has more... what? Unique games that are only on the PS3? Both consoles have exclusive titles. Both consoles have exclusive titles that are crap, and both consoles have exclusive titles that are amazing. I think that if either console released without at least one popular, relevant, and established franchise, gamers would be scratching their heads wondering where in the hell all the games are.
  • BladedFalcon - February 25, 2013 4:19 p.m.

"It sounds to me like you are arguing that Sony is better because it has more... what? Unique games that are only on the PS3? " Yep, pretty much. Yes, both consoles have exclusives and crappy games each, but the amount of variety and more unique/different games exclusive to the PS3 currently far outmatch those in the 360, which for the past 4 years has pretty much relied in their same old franchises without really trying to come up with something new, or at least secure worthwhile exclusives. Proof? easy, As far exclusives go, MS has the following franchises: Halo, gears of War, Forza, Fable, Viva Piñata...and that's it. And the occasional exclusive such as Splinter Cell: Conviction and tales of vesperia... And not much else. Sony Meanwhile, yes, it also relies on franchise, but not only are these more numerous: God of War, Killzone, Resistance, Gran Turismo, MotorStorm, Little Big Planet, Mod nation Racers, Ratchet & Clank, Warhawk and StarHawk Infamous and Uncharted. But the amount of unique exclusive games is also greater: Heavy Rain, Ni No Kuni, Demon's Souls, Disgaea 3 and 4, Metal Gear Solid 4, Twisted Metal, Tales of Xilia, Valkyria Chronicles, and not to mention the Upcoming Beyond: two Souls and The Last of Us. Can you see the difference yet? Furthermore, yes, Sony announced a new killzone and a new infamous, but along with it, also announced new IPs such as Drive Club and Knack, so at least their are doing a good job in mixing both new and established IPs. The question then, is if Microsoft will step up their game and bet on new franchises, or rely on their same cash cows to keep them alive. The trend they have followed in the last years suggest they might rely on the same stuff, but who knows.
  • Sid440 - February 25, 2013 4:52 p.m.

As someone who has loved my xbox from day one, I hate it but I agree whole heartily, They really need to kick things up a notch if they wan't to stay in the game. I love my xbox exclusives, but there needs to be more to love I'm tired of looking over at some of these sony exclusives and thinking "if only", we need some kick ass games to make them envious for once. Also speaking of old exclusives I wouldn't mind seeing a totally re-vamped crackdown.
  • BladedFalcon - February 25, 2013 5:14 p.m.

Yeah, I mean, take into account, that I actually was an early 360 adopter, and for the first 4 years, from 2006 to early 2010, I was a happy owner of only a 360. the first two years specially, were great for a 360 owner, we had Oblivion, Bioshock, Dead Rising... But then, all those games stopped being 360 exclusives, and also appeared on the PS3 with extras, and after 2008, slowly but surely, Sony began to get more and more exclusives, while Microsoft didn't really bring anything new other than their same old franchises. By February 2010, my 360 red ringed, and without being able to repair or trade it, I decided to get a PS3 instead... and I haven't regretted it since, as the generation has advanced, the PS3 has gotten substantially better, while the 360 has stagnated more, what with MS's focus on the Kinect and so. So yeah, I'd say MS really has a lot to prove if they want to convince gamers that they actually care about them again.
  • Sid440 - February 25, 2013 5:25 p.m.

Yeah I really hope Microsoft surprises us all, I wan't to be proud to own an xbox again.
  • Tjwoods18 - February 25, 2013 5:34 p.m.

Crackdown 2, although just as fun as the first one, relied too much on that which made Crackdown 1 successful.
  • winner2 - February 25, 2013 7 p.m.

+2 for crackdown, yes, plus TWO
  • Tjwoods18 - February 25, 2013 5:32 p.m.

Took the words out of my mouth, exactly my point.