Topics

Nintendo Top 7

• jmcgrotty - November 12, 2012 2:07 p.m.

Wow, you were really wrong about a LOT of these... let's go through them: It didn't win the "console generation" because it wasn't a real console. It was a farce. You're better off comparing it to a preschooleres Leapfrog. The Revolution did not have great exclusives. Your list is full of overrated fodder, which you would realize if you actually played them. The virtual console was a disgrace for new gamers, since it totally bastardized the way that you played them. It completely handicapped and ruined every game it tried to present. That new "audience" that it brought into gaming? They've already moved on, and their only legacy is briefly popularizing the worst games possible, thus leading to shovelware of that same garbage that we are still dealing with today. The Revolution might have been a revolution, but it didn't bring a single positive gameplay mechanic. It singlehandedly (thanks to those worthless "new gamers" the toy brought in) set the industry back 10 years, by taking away from real game development to focus on the worthless motion garbage, which has been a disaster for every other company. And to say "No matter the success of either, they prove that the simple fun of the [revolution’s] motion interfacehas (sic) now become a critical feature to the future of gaming" is 100% wrong and you know it! Everyone is abandoning it as a real mechanic, including Nintendo. IT has no place in gaming and it surely isn't a critical feature. The rest you were right about, but your conclusion was literally 100% wrong. The revolution has been an utter failure for the industry. I expected better of you guys.
  • brickman409 - November 12, 2012 6:10 p.m.

How in any way did virtual console handicap or ruin games? they were perfect emulations with no changes made to the original games.
  • haipayazoo - November 12, 2012 7:47 p.m.

Hello, my name is the Wii and I'm one of the highest selling consoles in gaming history with plenty of Triple AAA exclusives such as Super Mario Galaxy and Monster Hunter Tri. If you seriously believe what you're saying regarding the motion controls, the Virtual Console, and "overrated" games then you have either got to be trolling me hard (and I would salute you for that) or some crazy moron.
  • Cyberninja - November 12, 2012 8:17 p.m.

How exactly isn't wii a real console? to describe a console you even you used this wording: " A console is a device that hooks up to a standalone display."
  • planetheads - November 12, 2012 9:58 p.m.

i dont know what you mean by "its not a real console" it doesnt need HD graphic and m-rated games to be called a real console.what it had where smart games for everyone and anyone. and the games were fun.mario kart ,brawl, capcom vs, dead space, metriod prime3,mario galaxy1 n 2 the list goes on.these werent only fun games but also smart.if you think COD or halo or gears were smart and fun,then i feel sorry for you and yes wii was a revolution to gaming just like the N64 n mario 64(analog stick help us with controlling 3d games),if not why did MS and sony copy. and nintendo can never die,so far it has loyal fan and there still selling in millions(mario kark wii 30 million)sure COD and halo can brag abt sellin 1million in a day but the over count matters. and so please stop hating,what they said was facts.
  • Broddeb - November 13, 2012 4:27 a.m.

"It didn't win the "console generation" because it wasn't a real console" How did you come to that conclusion?
  • winner2 - November 12, 2012 1:18 p.m.

Well there was super mario galaxy and a monster hunter game on it...that's my appreciation right there.
  • ultimatepunchrod - November 12, 2012 12:41 p.m.

I think the way the Wii is perceived in the future will have much more to do with how the next gen turns out. If the focus shifts completely to the casual motion control focused games, then I think the Wii may be seen as the beginning of the end for traditional games. If on the other, more likely hand it happens that the Wii's waggle success is nothing more than a detour for more traditional games, then I think it will be remembered fondly. I am glad that it saved Nintendo; it will be a strange day if they ever leave the hardware market.
  • Z-man427 - November 12, 2012 2:08 p.m.

Nintendo is worth enough to be in business for another 35-50 years with marginal profits. They're not going anywhere anytime soon.
  • J-Fid - November 12, 2012 7:11 p.m.

GR posted an article about that, although I believe the number was 70.
  • ultimatepunchrod - November 13, 2012 6:38 a.m.

I didn't mean to say that I thought it was imminent. Just that if it ever did happen, it would be weird.
  • profile0000 - November 12, 2012 12:06 p.m.

Great list. In hindsight, it is a great system. Three or four years ago, however, it was a lot harder to defend.
  • CountRichtertoffen - November 12, 2012 6:18 p.m.

Exactly. Around 2009-10, I might not have agreed with much of this, but looking back, it was a great system.
  • Z-man427 - November 12, 2012 12:04 p.m.

Eulogii... I lol'd
  • Redeater - November 12, 2012 12:02 p.m.

A boy and his blob Manhunt 2 Deadly Creatures Kirby Epic Yarn Mad World ....the list just goes on. I still hate motion controls with a passion but the wii had some real gems.
  • winner2 - November 12, 2012 6:39 p.m.

I don't know why it's taken me this long but I just remembered what your avatar pic is from. That is some of the greatest nostalgia I've ever had.
  • Broddeb - November 13, 2012 4:28 a.m.

Haha, good old Crow!
  • bass88 - November 12, 2012 11:56 a.m.

Can you tell me where you got your sales numbers regarding Super Mario Galaxy versus Call Of Duty from? I don't think that's right. Also, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories wasn't an exclusive (didn't help the game sell more, sadly). Didn't care much for Wii games. Just got Epic Mickey, No More Heroes 1&2, House Of The Dead 2&3, MadWorld and Resident Evil 4. Never liked Mario in 3D (his awkward running animation and floaty jump never gelled with me for some weird reason). But yeah, Virtual Console and backwards compatibility with the GameCube made it a winner for me.
  • bass88 - November 12, 2012 12:02 p.m.

And Metroid Prime 3.
  • Z-man427 - November 12, 2012 2:06 p.m.

It wasn't Galaxy that was referenced at that point, but New Super Mario Bros Wii