• practicallyhitler - August 23, 2011 9:44 a.m.

The moment I saw this title, I knew it was Brett's last top 7. Fantastic article, btw. This is the kind of thing that keeps me coming back to GR. You'll be sorely missed, Mr. Elston. That said, my parents wouldn't let me get an SNES, but I did buy 5 or 6 games to play at friends' houses, and they were all fantastic. Super Metroid, A Link to the Past, and Mega Man X made sure I spent most of those few summers away from home. I wound up permanently borrowing a buddy's SNES once he got a PS1, b/c I was still obsessed w/ Chrono Trigger. Show Capcom what your made of, you Magnificent Bastard. Also, try to make it back to Tdar once in a while, will you?
  • egregious - August 23, 2011 9:25 a.m.

The best Legend of Zelda game, the best Mario game (Yoshi's Island), and the best Final Fantasy (IV) game are on the SNES. Nuff said.
  • egregious - August 23, 2011 9:53 a.m.

Oh man. Batman Returns on the SNES was an awesome beat 'em up. The Adventures of Batman & Robin was much nicer looking on it too than the Genesis version.
  • wampastompa - August 23, 2011 9:19 a.m.

I am so excited to hear you guys talk about this on the podcast. I got the DKC SNES bundle for my birthday, and played the sh-t out of Sunset Riders with my dad. So many good SNES memories!
  • Yeager1122 - August 23, 2011 8:28 a.m.

Never had an SNES but i played a couple of its games like super mario world which i remeber playing the crap out of at a freinds house.
  • adamhowes - August 23, 2011 7:59 a.m.

Really is the best games console of all time!
  • kyle94 - August 23, 2011 7:51 a.m.

I was born 3 years after the SNES came out, but it was still my main console choice for several years, until 2003, when I got the gamecube. (I skipped the N64.) I actually regret trading in my SNES stuff for a gamecube. I like some of the games on the gamecube, but I like the SNES games even better. Hell, I was once late to my own birthday party because I didn't want to stop playing Donkey Kong Country 2.
  • R_U_Guys_From_British - August 23, 2011 7:19 a.m.

I never had the SNES, yet I've played all the SNES' standout games on emulators and other means.
  • R_U_Guys_From_British - August 23, 2011 7:20 a.m.

Though I had a NES, wtf. How does one jump from NES to PS1?
  • gamingfreak - August 23, 2011 7:17 a.m.

Unfortunately, I missed most of the SNES era because I was only a year old when it came out. Thankfully my uncle had a SNES and Super Mario World. So whenever I visited him I would play the crap out of it (being 3-5 at the time). Being the gaming nerd I am today I have played a lot of SNES games over the years and it has since become one of my favorite consoles.
  • idlemindkiller - August 23, 2011 7:06 a.m.

I still have my SNES, games, Super Scope 6, and a few other random accessories. Unfortunately, all one hundred and forty something games for my NES have disappeared. I still have one NES, Power Glove, U-Force, and my 3-D glasses that came with Rad Racer.
  • EsotericFerret - August 23, 2011 6:52 a.m.

Great article Brett. I'm sad to hear that you're leaving. Anyway, I'm really regretful that I sort of skipped out on the SNES back in the day. I loved my NES but I jumped ship to the Genesis and then to the PlayStation 1. I did manage to pick up a SNES years later but I feel like I really missed out on a wonderful console when it actually came out.
  • AuthorityFigure - August 23, 2011 6:13 a.m.

I think it is the only system yet to have quality games in every single genre of play. It also was really quite future-proof for a 16-bit console as well. It's a terrific system - I've still got mine.
  • ultimatepunchrod - August 23, 2011 5:56 a.m.

great top 7 (as per usual) id have to say that while its not my favorite console of all time, it may objectively be the best. i did start off my gaming days with a genesis and sonic 2 so sega will always have a special place in my heart.
  • Clovin64 - August 23, 2011 5:50 a.m.

The SNES was my first console, and Super Mario World was my first videogame ever. Ah, the memories. Too bad I was too young to understand RPG's...
  • YamiJoey - August 23, 2011 5:15 a.m.

It's hard for me. SNES was my first console, and the 360 etc are just plain better, but as far as iconic consoles go, it's got to be up there. The 360 also gave us the first real taste of online gaming (excluding PC, obviously), and that has brought us into a totally new era of games and game distribution. Needless to say, the SNES was, and still is, a brilliant piece of tech, without which video games may just never have really 'happened' like they have.
  • electrofreeze - August 23, 2011 4:43 a.m.

My first console, and my all-time favorite. I agree with all of these points. Long live SNES!!
  • DirkSteele1 - August 23, 2011 3:46 a.m.

Excellent Top 7. The SNES and the Megadrive really represent the Golden Age of gaming to me. So many good memories of playing on both systems with friends. Both consoles still sit under my TV alongside my 360 (the Wii long since relegated to the cupboard). Incredibly perhaps, but thanks to the magic of eBay, I have spent more money on "new" SNES games this year than on 360 games. As far as RPGs go, no system before or since can touch the SNES. Truly Nintendo's best games console. Happy 20th Birthday.
  • DirkSteele1 - August 23, 2011 3:45 a.m.

• DirkSteele1 - August 23, 2011 3:38 a.m.

Excellent article. For me the SNES and the Megadrive were the Golden Age of gaming. So many good memories of playing on both systems with friends. And both still sit under the TV next to my 360 (the Wii long since relegated to the cupboard). As for RPGs, the SNES cannot be touched by any system before or since. Truly Nintendo's best ever console.