We Recommend

• db1331 - June 25, 2012 12:22 p.m.

It would be my dream game if Rocksteady did for Spiderman what they've done for Batman. Their two Batman games are miles better than anything else in the genre. The obvious choice would be an open city like in Arkham City, but even something more contained like Arkham Asylum would work. Asylum still had a lot of vertical environments that would have taken to wall crawling and web slinging quite nicely. I watch the footage from Beenox, and it just doesn't look good. If they would just give the Spiderman license to Rocksteady, they would be rolling in money. They could just copy the entire formula, from the combat to the upgrades, and it would be amazing.
  • avedon-arcade - June 25, 2012 12:42 p.m.

Upgrades to what? He's nowhere near like Batman. Batman fights in the dark and wears black. Spiderman for the most part has always fought throughout the entire day in a bright red & blue outfit. It's like saying give HALO to the Gears of War crew. It wouldn't be HALO anymore.
  • BladedFalcon - June 25, 2012 1:01 p.m.

Um... your comparison doesn't make sense. Basically because if Rocksteady developed a spider man game, of COURSE it wouldn't be a Batman game anymore *rolls eyes* That's kinda the point. What db is referring to, is that Rocksteady put obvious care into what makes the hero awesome, and adapted it perfectly in terms of setting, gameplay and story. And basically, it's his belief that if they tackled spiderman, they probably would have an equal care into what makes spidey special, from the combat, to the acrobatic web swinging, to making proper use of the varied rogue's gallery (Aka, no more use of the fucking Rhino, please.)
  • CrashmanX - June 25, 2012 3:14 p.m.

Rhino is one of Spidey's most Iconic enemies. It's sorta like the Joker or Riddler to Batman, they're both iconic to that hero. Also if you want that in a game, it looks like Amazing Spider-Man is shaping up to be just that. Just with the Basketball suit (Which luckily you can unlock the NEW Scarlet Spider costume and a few others)
  • BladedFalcon - June 25, 2012 3:50 p.m.

Iconic =/= Good or interesting. Just because he's well known doesn't mean he's a good villain. He's as boring as they come, a strong dude in a rhino suit. And even as a game boss material is boring, what's his shtick? ram things. *yawn* Also, he's not even remotely comparable to the Joker or Riddler for spiderman. Those would be The green goblin, Doc oc, or venom. Also, if you have paid attention to Beenox's history with the franchise, you should know that rocksteady, they are not, not by a longshot. They've made at least 3 spider games already, and so far, none of them has been anything beyond "enjoyable." And this one frankly looks bland. And it has somewhat terrible animations. And I could bet the combat doesn't even come close to AC's free flow. I could always be wrong of course, but I'm pretty sure this next game won't be spidey's AC.
  • CrashmanX - June 29, 2012 10:35 a.m.

Have you played the 3 Beenox games so far? I loved the hell out of Shattered Dimensions because of how the combat flowed and how each boss fight was different. Also comparing Rhino to Joker/Riddler is like comparing Bane to Doc Oc or Mysterio. It just doesn't work. Now if you had said he's like Bane but a less exciting I would have agreed with you, but ya didn't.
  • BladedFalcon - June 29, 2012 11:18 a.m.

My point wasn't a direct comparison, just to drive home the fact that Rhino is a bland Villain, period. And yeah, I've played shattered dimensions, but I didn't find the combat all that spectacular. It wasn't a bad game, but it's not nearly as great as a spiderman game could or should be.
  • GhostbustTyler - June 25, 2012 3:40 p.m.

Dude, Peter Parker is insanely smart in the comics and invents tons of gadgets to help him against villains. An upgrade system similar to the Arkhamverse games would be great and it would make sense. Also, Spider-Man has been doing the whole stealthy take down stuff for either longer than, or for the same amount of time as Batman. However that's besides the point, a Spider-Man game and a Batman game should play and control differently since they are two different heroes.
  • bobby-portlock - June 25, 2012 12:24 p.m.

hank gets to talk about spiderman, haha awesome
  • awinnerisjew - June 25, 2012 12:35 p.m.

No one else is going to say it? I have to be the one? Ok fine. First page: I can't wait to see a film with a movie tie-in! Awesome! What does that even LOOK LIKE?!
  • avedon-arcade - June 25, 2012 12:53 p.m.

Film with a movie tie-in? What?
  • robotdickens - June 25, 2012 12:57 p.m.

Kick out The Big Apple and put in more costumes. There are too many games set in New York not to mention movies too. Yes the skyscrapers are fun to climb/web up and then free fall down but the variation of costumes are much better than that. Even though Shattered Dimensions was short and linear it was really good. Future Spidey was more super soldier than annoying wise cracking kid, Noir Spidey was definitely the best part of that game. Less New York, more awesome costumes I say.
  • CrashmanX - June 25, 2012 3:10 p.m.

What's that? Spider-Man set in his home town where all the comics take place? No way! Seriously though. They're not going to. It's kinda ya know a huge part of Spider-Man. All of Noir was in New York and so was 2099. They were just different periods.
  • KnightDehumidifier - June 25, 2012 1 p.m.

My favorite Spider-Man game is when Spider-Man becomes Batman and traverses Arkham City instead of New York. Bold change, but definitely the best.
  • Cyberninja - June 25, 2012 1:38 p.m.

Spidy games are always some my favorites like ultimate for PS2, it was beauty in motion.
  • codystovall - June 25, 2012 1:52 p.m.

antivenom is not a villain, that said his rogues dont come close to batmans so stop the blasphemy.
  • CrashmanX - June 25, 2012 3:08 p.m.

You sure about that? Batman's are pretty close in terms of bad asserey degrees.
  • Jessmn2 - June 25, 2012 5:40 p.m.

Batman doesn't have Venom. That is my response.
  • obviouslyadouche - June 25, 2012 2:50 p.m.

I Can't be the only person who takes issue with the first sentence. Great article otherwise but i have to do this because I'm such a die hard Batman fan.
  • Viron - June 25, 2012 5:12 p.m.

Batman is kinda of a giant asshole. It's hard to like an asshole
  • BladedFalcon - June 25, 2012 7:25 p.m.

Not really, assholes in fiction tend to be pretty popular. It's only IRL ones that get in people's nerves.
  • GR_HenryGilbert - June 25, 2012 6:31 p.m.

I love Bats too, but I don't currently have the time to list the ways Spidey is a better character. Maybe later
  • obviouslyadouche - June 25, 2012 11:38 p.m.

When you do I'll read it , always nice when the GR staff respondsin the comments.
  • Pwnz0r3d - June 25, 2012 4:09 p.m.

I'm assuming by "comparable to Batman's rouges gallery" you mean that basically the only Marvel villains known to the mainstream are Spidey's, just like Batman. For Marvel, EVERYONE knows who Venom and Doctor Octopus are, even if they've never touched a comic. For DC, EVERYONE knows who the Joker is. Both heroes are pretty much the mascots for their respective companies.
  • DualWieldingIsNotFeasible - June 25, 2012 4:24 p.m.

I'm actually somewhat interested in the new Spider-Man game. Sure, it's a movie tie-in, but after after the utter disappointment of Prototype 2, I'm itching for a decent 'navigate around a huge open world with crazy powers' game. Also, I see what you did with the title there, Hank.
  • Jessmn2 - June 25, 2012 5:44 p.m.

...very bold first sentence to say the least.... But, yeah, Spiderman games are really really awesome. Usually. They also usually involve Venom in some way, which I'm okay with. Ultimate Spider Man was and is my favorite SM game ever. It WAS favorite superhero game....but then Arkham City came out..... Still a close second though.