Topics

Top 7

• Vagrant - April 26, 2010 7:53 p.m.

Boo. Batman's opening was great. (but haha, why can't the US team tell readers to "shit off"?) I seem to be alone on this, but I thought Fallout 3's beginning was probably the best part of the game. Assassin's Creed is arse, but the intro was the best part. Well, the intro with Ezio was. The future intro BEFORE that was garbage. I wondered what could beat Heavy Rain, but FFXIII is definitely it. Worst beginning to a game evar.
  • 510BrotherPanda - April 26, 2010 7:35 p.m.

It's good that Wii Okami lets you skip cut scenes if you feel inclined.
  • Conman93 - April 26, 2010 6:14 p.m.

@JackSkellingtonsSkin. Yes the start of KH2 is crazy dull. But if u skip the cutscenes it goes much faster.I can become Sora in about an hour. Also u get to fight a pretty cool boss! God the start of Heavy Rain annoyed me. When I replayed the start again to get the trophy I did one small thing wrong and had to do it all over again. That just made me hate it more. I saw a bit of the start of FFXII at my friends house and it didnt seem too bad. Guess Ill just have to wait till I play it!
  • JackSkellingtonsSkin - April 26, 2010 5:34 p.m.

Y'know on reflection I see were you're coming at with Assassin's Creed and Arham Asylum. I do remember walking The Joker down a corridor for 10mins
  • JackSkellingtonsSkin - April 26, 2010 5:31 p.m.

i disagree with most of these except 7 and 1. I would have suggested Kingdom Hearts 2 and GTA4. I haven't played Sient Hill 2 but Heavy Rain's opening is pretty much just setting up the rest of the game in the exact same tone.
  • matt588 - April 26, 2010 5:30 p.m.

you might say that most zelda games (i've only played 2) don't get really fun until you have half the gear. also I thought doom 3 had a painfully slow beginning just because you knew what was coming(and couldn't hold a flashlight in your left hand)
  • Ridgley - April 26, 2010 5:08 p.m.

KOTOR2 will always be number one on this list for me.
  • gilgamesh310 - April 26, 2010 4:48 p.m.

And also I can't believe you put silent hill 2 on the list. The opening was a masterclass in building up tension and a great introduction to the town. I think that SH 1 had a slightly better opening but this was brilliant also
  • gilgamesh310 - April 26, 2010 4:41 p.m.

And to think ye actually gave ff 13 a 10 ): I was perfectly happy about the way fallout 3 started mind. It was when I stepped out of the vault I didn't know what to do or where to go. Batman:AA started off well too I thought but I suppose opinions are opinions
  • garnsr - April 26, 2010 4:28 p.m.

I didn't have any problem with the beginning of Okami, and Heavy Rain didn't really bug me, even though I'd heard the beginning was boring. Batman and Assassin's Creed 2 did seem to drag on, until you got a ways in.
  • Moondoggie1157 - April 26, 2010 4:24 p.m.

Alright yea, I guess I can see that. I personally don't mind the dragged out melodrama :P And an update, I just beat that barthandelus asshole... I had almost given up on the damn game haha
  • Matt Cundy - April 26, 2010 3:29 p.m.

@Moondoggie1157 The point with FFXIII isn't that it's boring at the start, it's more that it doesn't get *really* good until a long, long way in. Although OnyxOblivion disagrees.
  • RabidCabbage - April 26, 2010 3:22 p.m.

I remember the opening of Kingdom Hearts 2 being extremely dull for the first few hours. But then, I didn't write the list. Good article, I enjoyed it. Still slogging my way to the free-roaming bit of FF-XIII, getting a bit bored with it. Recaptcha says "dispirit for", which is rather apt.
  • OnyxOblivion - April 26, 2010 3:07 p.m.

Hmmm...I didn't find FF13 to start slow at all. If anything, I liked it less as it went on.
  • Moondoggie1157 - April 26, 2010 3:05 p.m.

I am currently at the end of Chapter 9 in FFXIII, and in all honesty I didn't find any of it to be boring, sure some of it was tedious, and not being able to switch out party members at first was a drag, but hey when you had only two characters to fight a difficult boss with, it was pretty satisfying to finally beat them. Quit complaining :P
  • NiceVibe - April 26, 2010 2:49 p.m.

Am I the only one who didn't think the first part of FFXIII was bad? Oh no you can't choose your specific party. It all follows the story so I didn't think it was a big deal at all.
  • twinkletitsMcGee - April 26, 2010 2:43 p.m.

Assassins Creed 2 is so boring off the start, especially if you played the first one.
  • Matt Cundy - April 26, 2010 2:08 p.m.

@rooster2814 I'm all for developing a character, but feel there must be smarter ways of doing it than with a big blob of boredom at the start of the game. @NorwegianKingOfNames + NinjaWalrusMeow A lot of RPGs were on the short list (Mass Effect being one of them), but FFXIII was the most extreme example. It consequently crushed the others with its big 20 hour fists of slowness.
  • NinjaWalrusMeow - April 26, 2010 1:50 p.m.

Good article and I agree with all of these, especially FF13. But no Mass Effect 1? I thought for sure it would be on the list.
  • TURbo - April 26, 2010 1:39 p.m.

LOL you said fuck in the Heavy Rain review. Kudos for having that slip by.