Topics

Top 7

• g1rldraco7 - October 26, 2013 3:13 a.m.

This Top 7 reminds me of why I play video games, to escape reality and to have fun. Skyrim allows me to do so perfectly :3
  • rxb - October 24, 2013 11:18 a.m.

This was a great Top 7. My favourite in a while. The cake is a lie and Ghost and Ghouls has something to say about #2.
  • SpadesSlick - October 23, 2013 9:20 a.m.

I disagree with number one. A shit ton of games serve as power fantasies to let us act out shit we could never do in real life. Are you really the hero in a game where you save the city in between your down time of finding the most comical way to murder hordes of civilians for your own amusement? Due to the consequence free nature of it all, most of the time you are at best a monster that goes after slightly bigger monsters.
  • Frieza - October 22, 2013 8:09 p.m.

Number 6 is debatable. Even though we mere mortals may never be as "important" as Shepard or Super Mario, most of us (if not all of us) are important to SOMEONE in the world, or at the very least had an important impact on someone's life. Whether it be our parents, brothers, sisters, girlfriends or boyfriends, husbands or wives, or even some stranger on the internet, we all have impacted someone in one way or another. Maybe more than we realize. For all we know, we could have prevented someone from committing suicide, or becoming the next Hitler. Maybe just being friendly to a stranger could save a life. Maybe even the world... ...This is what I tell myself when I'm feeling useless, anyway...
  • SuperSATA - October 22, 2013 6:56 p.m.

That was so well written, and all true!
  • Darkhawk - October 22, 2013 2:44 p.m.

What game is #2? It looks pretty.
  • watevermanimlost - October 22, 2013 7:34 p.m.

I wouldn't call it a game but ..... Proteus (the one with the pink things in the background right?)
  • GR_AtlasBurke - October 22, 2013 8:10 p.m.

I'm not entirely sure which you mean. If you mean the second slide: Limbo. 2D puzzle platformer with great atmosphere. http://store.steampowered.com/app/48000/ If you mean the actual #2, then it's Proteus. A kid of "walker" like Dear Esther. Plays with mood and season a lot. Intersting if you like kind of zen experiences. http://store.steampowered.com/app/219680/
  • shawksta - October 22, 2013 10:07 a.m.

This is gonna be interesting to talk about in the podcast
  • McBeef - October 22, 2013 6:57 a.m.

Honestly one of the most well-written articles I've read on here.
  • antiAntag0nist - October 22, 2013 6:33 a.m.

Good Top 7 but a bit of a downer.
  • CitizenWolfie - October 22, 2013 6:16 a.m.

I find myself thinking these things every day. I go to work and grind through repetitive missions against the same enemies (occasionally with a palette swap) only to find that the only way to beat the boss is to become one yourself. There are too many DLC items to buy and it takes too long to earn the currency to buy them but I feel obligated anyway in case I'm missing out on the experience compared to my friends. The people in my friends list are often much better than me or on the other side of the spectrum, don't play as a team and the people who aren't in my friends list are all either cheaters, try-hards or noobs. If the solution is too hard I can't just call up LucasArts for the answer as they're closed now. My character creation is cumbersome and it takes too long to modify anything. And above all else, the graphics are stuck in crappy standard definition.
  • CatcarDriver - October 21, 2013 6:55 p.m.

Come on, don't be so sad with......real life.
  • LoboMau - October 21, 2013 5:26 p.m.

I'd say that having several lives and being able to restart a "level" would make living so much easier/better. On another note, hard work can and will pay off if you have a set of goals clearly defined and know what you are doing! It's always a shame to see people in MMO's putting an excessive amount of effort into a game when some of it could be applied on something else that would indeed improve their lives.
  • Jacko415 - October 21, 2013 5:21 p.m.

Im sad now...
  • Vonter - October 21, 2013 5:19 p.m.

I mainly recall one of the best and most subtle attempts at showing the consequences of your actions in MGS 3. When meeting the Sorrow having to get across all the enemies you had killed in the game made for a very disturbing feeling.
  • Spiderman - October 21, 2013 3:17 p.m.

WOW that was depressing.
  • WrathLord03 - October 21, 2013 2:43 p.m.

That Spec Ops: The Line quote got to me again. "You are a good person." Yeah, right, keep telling me that.
  • Sy87 - October 21, 2013 12:57 p.m.

Ouch, yeah it's true. Work your ass off to finally graduate and you get nothing. What was it all worth for? Yeah I'm sure some of my apps were overqualified. Guess they don't understand I need something to fuckin hold me above poverty. Some places don't even say crap. At least in games you know why you failed. I rather be in a game world than in real life. Things make better since and are logical like you said. Nice article.
  • BaraChat - October 21, 2013 12:52 p.m.

Games have done a better job over the past 3 years (approximately) giving the player "grayer" choices. Choices that aren't black or right, "good" or "bad". I remember that, when playing New Vegas, sometimes the choices offered weren't easy at all. I mean, I always, always try to play the "good guy" in games (make of that what you will, that's just how I'm wired, I guess) and in FO : NV it happened sometimes that there wasn't a "right" or "wrong" choice. Of course, some developers went a step further in that direction, like in The Walking Dead (the Telltale one), I had to press pause (the PS button) many times to think about what they F was I going to do. I was so into the storyline and the characters I couldn't possibly take a decision in a few seconds while pondering all the implications. And sometimes shit happened even if you didn't want to. Superb games though, really excellent.