Topics

Top 7

• Xerxes667 - October 10, 2011 8:54 p.m.

Good List... but I'm surprised Batman isn't on it... very few more beloved mentally damaged people than the bats.
  • ShowMeYourKitties - October 10, 2011 8:13 p.m.

Speaking of Portal, I've always wondered about the sanity of Chell...
  • FauxFurry - October 10, 2011 8:01 p.m.

I was actually a little surprised that Fei Fong Wong, the schizophrenic protagonist of Xenogears isn't on the list but then had to carefully consider the title of the article. No love for Fei, huh?
  • mockturtle - October 10, 2011 6:33 p.m.

How could you not include Alice Liddell, who had two full games built around how mentally damaged she was? You monster.
  • IceBlueKirby - October 10, 2011 6:33 p.m.

Great list, but special props for mentioning Kai. Not only did I love the character, I loved the parts that let you play as her. Now I'm in the mood for some twing twang.
  • taokaka - October 10, 2011 6:59 p.m.

Kai was awesome and now you've mentioned it I want to go do some twing twang
  • RedHarlow - October 10, 2011 5:31 p.m.

I thought Daniel (the guy you play as) from Amnesia The Dark Descent showed his "descent" into madness. As you play through the game you see people you tortured and murdered in an effort to save yourself because you were so desperate. Then you realized how much of a monster you had become, so you took the Amnesia drink to forget and ordered yourself to kill the guy who made you do it all.
  • wedgie - October 10, 2011 4:11 p.m.

I would have thrown Sandal (my favorite) from DA and Bruce Wayne from Arkham Asylum, but still enjoyed the list.
  • BertTheTurtle - October 10, 2011 4:08 p.m.

I actually liked Dr. Steinman about as much if not more than Cohen, personally. Gil Alexander comes to mind, too, even if he wasn't quite Cohen or Steinman. Also, what about Alan Wake? Yeah, it's possible he may not be crazy; but if he is, then his insanity made him walk through a ferris wheel of memories, hallucinate(?) a giant two-headed parade float, and fight a poltergeist-infested armada of floating, babbling TVs. Or James, Eddy, or Angela from Silent Hill 2? The whole game was based on James' psychological trouble, Eddy gradually revealed his insanity nearly every time you saw him, and Angela had her own problems. And although I'm not currently a fan of Arkham Asylum personally, it seems like Joker or Scarecrow would be some top choices for this list. I'm not complaining (it was a good list), just offering my two-cents' worth.
  • Evanesco - October 10, 2011 3:58 p.m.

I am for the Sandal movement. That kid was special in so many ways.
  • Plan10FromOuterSpace - October 10, 2011 3:42 p.m.

really liked this top 7, good old Wheatley xD
  • Pocotron - October 10, 2011 3:39 p.m.

Wait. If Wheatley is being stupid and making bad choices, doesn't that mean he's working correctly?
  • Fox_Mulder - October 10, 2011 3:27 p.m.

I love these top 7 lists, and think this is one of the best. Keep up the good work, Coop. Frank Jaegar for the win!
  • tatertot_king - October 10, 2011 3:19 p.m.

I definitely think that Fred Bonaparte from Psychonauts should definitely be in this list. In my opinion, he was one of the most lovable characters in the whole game.
  • lemur - October 10, 2011 2:58 p.m.

Isaac Clark is my video game hero. and lol at "Adorably, painfully dumb." Wheatly rocks!
  • gamingfreak - October 10, 2011 2:46 p.m.

I think Chris should be on here instead of Lynch :P
  • CH3BURASHKA - October 10, 2011 3:50 p.m.

Wholeheartedly agree. Chris at #1, Brett at #2 because he must be f*cked in the head for leaving.
  • Mezolitik - October 10, 2011 2:41 p.m.

Sandal from Dragon Age? Or the Space Core from Portal 2! I love that guy. He has a catchphrase...can't quite remember it... I laughed my balls off at the Space Core.
  • CH3BURASHKA - October 10, 2011 2:24 p.m.

Good article; good concept. For a split second, I thought this was a "Top 7 Mentally Challenged Characters" to which I thought, "That's hella insensitive," and "Are there any?" Maybe that should be a list someday. I half-hoped you had Max Payne on here, now that he's getting more and more visible after years of silence. In fact, I half-expected him to be #1. His omission is disappointing; I think he fits better than half of the other characters simply because of how relatable (relatively) his issues are: cliched or not, the junkie-murdered-wife-and-child is a much more down-to-earth source of his mental damage as oppposed to space murderers or druggie serial killers or cyborg ninjas. I also thought you had "physical manifestations" as a requirement, seeing as how a few of them do, but even Max Payne has that covered: the awful, awful dead crying baby psychedelic sections. When I played them the first time, I didn't give them much thought, but in retrospect, they were retarded. The concept was pretty solid, the implementation wasn't fun, not even in a this-is-a-sobering-look-on-Max-Payne.
  • g4m3rk1dd - October 10, 2011 2:20 p.m.

Sander Cohen rabbit ear diary... ... ... ...'nuff said...