• HerWhisperingEye - February 11, 2013 9:01 p.m.

I've always thought that Wander was not in a relationship with the girl. Unless information was revealed later that game is scarce with the details. I always imagined that he did something to cause her death and was doing it to repent for what he had done. Perhaps some kind of initiation into the organization that was chasing him for stealing their sword. The fact that she is apprehensive and doesn't recognize Agro at the end of the game implies she may never have known "Wander." I mean the relationship between them and the skill that he has with the horse means he has been using that horse for years and if she saw her love's horse I would think it would evoke a different reaction then fear and curiosity. At the end she seems happy to be alive but none the wiser about her "love."
  • ThundaGawd - February 12, 2013 7:59 a.m.

They are lovers, Fumito Ueda has confirmed it during an interview. Wander, Mono, and Lord Emon all belonged to the organization responsible for sealing Dormin away in the Forbidden Land long before the events of the game take place, hence why Mono knows so much about the ritual (you hear her voice pleading for Wander to stop every time he kills a Colossi past the halfway point in the game), and also the reason Lord Emon pursues Wander after he steals the Magic sword (the ancient relic that was used to seal away Dormin) knowing what he intends to do with it. He takes Mono to the shrine in order to revive her because she was murdered/sacrificed for having a "cursed fate" shortly before the game commences. And Mono expresses fear & curiosity when Agro shows up shortly after she comes back to life because Agro is injured & Wander is nowhere to be found, causing her to believe the ritual was successful and Wander is now possessed by Dormin.
  • CrashmanX - February 11, 2013 8:45 p.m.

Trip and Monkey? To the Moon? GR I think the love story between you and I just got even better.
  • GR HollanderCooper - February 12, 2013 10:56 p.m.

*sloppy kiss*
  • UMBR4an1ma - February 11, 2013 8:08 p.m.

What about Alan Wake? That is a love story if I've ever seen one
  • shawksta - February 11, 2013 7:45 p.m.

Awesome list, especially To the Moon One of my personal favs is Count Bleck and Tippi from Super Paper Mario. Their love and backstory is what caused everything to happen and always getting Figments of their past at the end of every chapter leading up to both of them realizing who each other were was very well made. The ending is still making me wonder how Lady Timpani looks like. Its already tear worthy that she and count bleck are gone when you can still wander after game without her and with Count Blecks Henchmen not being bad people anymore.
  • tyler-coleman - February 11, 2013 7:43 p.m.

Really trip and monkey?,what about the prince and farah/elika, skyward sword link and zelda
  • shawksta - February 12, 2013 1:12 p.m.

Yeah they did, but its not direct, the first half of the game showed that they both were good friends and had something going on, while its not direct of course, Groose hated the fact that it was to him.
  • SabreWing - February 12, 2013 2:48 a.m.

I really liked Yeto and Yeta in Twilight Princess, they were obviously in love, but they were also incredibly fluffy. P.S. I adored Trip and Monkey's relationship.
  • kingarthur09 - February 11, 2013 7:07 p.m.

While it's not necessarily in the top 10, the relationship between The Prince and Farah in the Sands of Time trilogy is pretty good.
  • Mcfluffan - February 11, 2013 6:32 p.m.

Am I the only one who thought of Isaac Clarke and Nicole? hahahahaha
  • C.King - February 11, 2013 5:50 p.m.

I'm not sure whether to count it since it was an optional ending but going for the blonde in Catherine seemed romantic to me, how Vincent doesn't care about what he went through or that it was all a farce he still wanted to meet her and work on the relationship not caring about what was essentially wrong with the whole ordeal
  • sephex - February 11, 2013 4:35 p.m.

Yuna and Tidus. Stop.
  • freeden - February 11, 2013 4:05 p.m.

So very nice to see To The Moon on the list. I don't think any game has touched me more emotionally and To The Moon had such a wonderful love story that was so deep and multi-faceted. It always felt natural, real, and tragic. It's easy to forgot, during the game, how that love story ended up. It's why the montage sequence is one of the most heart breaking scenes from any game I have ever played. Also nice to see FFX on the list. FFVIII was pegged as Final Fantasies big love story, but FFX felt much more natural and had a better progression I think. The love story never felt rushed and it never became the sole focus. It was just something that happened through the course of the game. I think it also helps that the two felt more like actual people than previous protagonists, but I guess that's in part due to the improved tech and addition of voice acting.
  • gilgamesh310 - February 11, 2013 3:26 p.m.

I don't agree with what he said about FF X at all. Spoony explains how ridiculous that love story is. Maybe they did spend a lot of time together before 'taking things to the next level' but it wasn't remotely believable that Yuna could fall for a complete plonker like Tidus and I don't see why even him liker her so much with Lulu and Rikku around. I'm surprised there's none from Metal Gear Solid around here. I thought the Eva romance was done fairly well.
  • freeden - February 11, 2013 4:09 p.m.

I'll have to disagree with that. It was entirely believable that Yuna could fall for Tidus. They were highly compatible and over the course of the journey Tidus became a leader and a hero. He defied what they had come to believe was necessary. The guy even risked his life against an army to save her. With her seemingly impending death coming, it's not a surprise she not only turned to him for comfort, but genuinely fell in love with him.
  • sephex - February 12, 2013 6:49 a.m.

It was the most beautifully believable love story of all.
  • gilgamesh310 - February 12, 2013 5:25 p.m.

Maybe if I gave a shit about most of the characters in that game I might have bought it more but Tidus was a terrible main character and I didn't find what he accomplished to be believable. He risked his life to save Yuna but I don't know why he cared for her so much in the first place. I thought that game's story was at its best when not involving Tidus or Yuna at all. I wish they concentrated more on Auron and his backstory with Lord Braska.
  • BladedFalcon - February 11, 2013 5:55 p.m.

Except the MGS romance with Eva was pretty much one sided, Eva was playing Big Boss all along. Sure, she developed feelings as well, but it wasn't a strong enough thing to prevent her from screwing him over anyway.
  • JCrysis86 - February 11, 2013 3:22 p.m.

No Jackie Estacado, and Jenny Romano from The Darkness...that had to be one of the best in game romances! Even though it was a sad ending.