• christopher-becker - April 17, 2012 2:02 p.m.

No, no, a thousand times no to John Marston. He spent the entire game passing judgement on everyone around him ("You dig up graves and loot the corpses? That's terrible!", "What kind of man kidnaps a woman and child?", etc), but as soon as he's told that he needs to burn down a village and capture women for El Presidente's harem? He does it without batting an eye. He condemns everyone around him for their immoral behavior while, at the same time, doing things far more reprehensible.
  • stephen-ted-manning - April 17, 2012 2:35 p.m.

You're completely missing the central motivator in this plot. He's doing whatever it takes to save his family. Yes. Whatever it takes. Yes a thousand times to John Marston. When everyone would have been happy with another GTA type, morally questionable character from Rockstar, R* went ahead and produced one of the most likable, well received characters to date with John Marston, the former outlaw who was doing WHATEVER IT TAKES to save his wife and child.
  • christopher-becker - April 17, 2012 2:43 p.m.

And in doing whatever it takes, he becomes worse than everyone around him that he's criticizing. He condemns everyone around him for being immoral, but has no problem burning down the houses of innocent people and kidnapping women for his own selfish reasons. He is a hypocrite.
  • stephen-ted-manning - April 17, 2012 3:20 p.m.

You're still completely missing the point. Seth is grave robbing because he's greedy. Others rob and kill because they're malicious. He's doing everything it takes to protect his family. How do you not see that?
  • christopher-becker - April 17, 2012 3:23 p.m.

I do see that. It doesn't matter. He is causing immense pain and suffering for others in order to achieve his own goals. When he burns down the village and captures the women just so El Presidente can have more hookers, he is saying "My happiness [in this case, my wife and child] is more important than yours, so I am justified in doing this terrible thing." That is NO DIFFERENT than what Seth does [my happiness is more important than your loved one's dignity], than what the con-man does [my happiness is more important than treating you fairly], or anyone else in the world of Red Dead.
  • stephen-ted-manning - April 17, 2012 3:45 p.m.

Yes, I completely agree that Seth's greed and peculiar desire to have a connection with the dead is completely equivalent to John Marston's goals of protecting his family. It's not even a matter of Marston's happiness, it's a matter of protecting those he loves. You're oversimplifying goals for characters here that have different morals, and are put into different situations.
  • christopher-becker - April 17, 2012 3:49 p.m.

So the well-being of the two people he loves is more important than the well-being of the occupants of the houses he burns down? More important than the well-being of the women who he helps kidnap, and the children they leave behind?
  • stephen-ted-manning - April 17, 2012 3:55 p.m.

Glossing over the fact that the president is killed by the end of the campaign...tell me why the well being of those people are more important? Especially to John Marston. My favorite part of this game is that it's set in the wild west and things, bad things happen. So yes, the beauty of John Marston's character is that he does whatever it takes to save HIS family. He doesn't enjoy doing these evil necessary deeds, but he does so with good reason. It's complicated but a realistic story shouldn't be all sunshine and rainbows.
  • christopher-becker - April 17, 2012 4 p.m.

I never said it should be sunshine and rainbows. I simply said that John Marston is a hypocrite, because he condemns everyone else for doing terrible, terrible things for their own gain when that's exactly what he's doing. He unflinchingly causes pain and suffering to countless innocent people for his own gain, then turns right around and criticizes everyone else for doing the exact same thing. And the fact that El Presidente eventually dies is irrelevant, because that doesn't factor into John's decision-making. At the time he attacks that village, his thought process is "The President can help me find who I am looking for, therefor it is perfectly justifiable for me to burn down the houses of innocent people and kidnap them." That is NO DIFFERENT than every single person he condemns and criticizes throughout the entire game.
  • stephen-ted-manning - April 17, 2012 10:26 p.m.

I respectfully disagree. I believe the results justify the means. If you can argue that Seth or the conman's motives are half as noble and honorable as John's then I'd understand...but you can't.
  • christopher-becker - April 18, 2012 10:58 p.m.

I don't need to. I only need to think of the innocent families who no longer have homes, and the families who no longer have wives and mothers. John Marston decided that it was perfectly acceptable to ruin the lives of dozens, if not hundreds, of innocent people, just to save two. How you can say the results justify those means is beyond me.
  • christopher-becker - April 18, 2012 11:02 p.m.

And even that wouldn't be as bad if he didn't condemn everyone around him for doing exactly what he's doing. He flat out tells the con man to his face "You're a terrible person," but as soon as the con man says "I might be able to help you find who you're looking for, if you help me," Marston says "Well sure, I'll help you cheat these honest people out of their money, even though five minutes ago I was condemning you for it, because now it serves my purposes." He is a massive hypocrite.
  • oneshotfinch - April 17, 2012 1:42 p.m.

MOTHER FUCKIN' SHOULDA POPPIN' GARRUS
  • AGENTJORRRG - April 17, 2012 1:33 p.m.

The problem with John Marston and his loveliness is that I so wanted to play in-character that I would never harm something that wasn't already after me, I would never shoot anyone in the head or anywhere purposefully lethal, and I refused to do some of the achievements because they were just not things the lovely John Marston would ever do. He is so nice that he makes the game harder.
  • PevMaster - April 17, 2012 11:23 a.m.

Couldn't agree more with number one. I love Garrus, it's like he's the perfect companion for Shepard.
  • Clovin64 - April 17, 2012 8:36 a.m.

Sully >>>>>>>>>>>>> Elena. To be fair, there have been several game characters I've loved over the years and it would take ages to name them all, but since I'm still playing ME3 right now, I'll give mention to Garrus, Tali and Joker. They're my newest family. :) Oh, and Balthier and Fran from Final Fantasy 12. I know they're basically Squeenix's version of Han and Chewie, but I love 'em both anyway.
  • Blacknuz - April 17, 2012 8:25 a.m.

Lack of mentioning of boob growth on Malon.
  • Alex_Syros - April 17, 2012 7:23 a.m.

Great idea for a list, guys! My picks: Chell (Portal 2 version) Alyx Yuna (FFX) Faith Connors Tyrande Sylvanas (thanks to fan-art mostly)
  • ShortFuse - April 17, 2012 5:01 a.m.

Tifa Lockheart...goes without saying really. I also had a thing for Sheena from Tales of Symphonia. But I'm not sure if these are just really weird lusty things or a genuine love.... In truth the only character I felt actually cared about me whilst I was playing was the weird flying thing that follows you around in Pikmin 1&2...Strange, I know... Oh shit, and what about Epona..?!
  • winner2 - April 17, 2012 4:05 a.m.

Midna
  • theonetruelarsa - April 17, 2012 2:31 a.m.

What about Tali'Zorah? Seriously the most lovable character in the whole ME-series. She is extremely cute, with her shyness, and awkwardness. Garrus is fantastic, but he's more of a Bro, than a romance intrest, and I really can't feel that much for Liara, as her voice acting in ME2/3 ruined the character for me. I still like her, but her voice is. SO.FLAT. And Joker... My god, I love Joker <3
  • chris-lettuce-skiles - April 17, 2012 2:13 p.m.

Garrus is a love interest for FemShepard. Also, Asari are supposed to be a little monotonous (slightly dependent on their father), so Liara didn't really fit that in the first one.
  • CitizenWolfie - April 17, 2012 2:06 a.m.

I know it's the Week of Love so I will not say what I was going to say about that helpless annoyance that is Yorda. I could have quite happily explored that castle without her. I felt more protective over Baby Mario than Yorda. I also loved Chloe Fraser in Uncharted as well, she was so good that it actually makes you feel a bit guilty for liking her when Elena returns in Nepal. In Portal 2 I started to love GLaDOS (or PotatoDOS anyway) after her being a big scary thing trying to kill you after all that time. I fell in love with Midna way more than I ever liked Malon. And finally (Princess?) Rosalina from Mario Galaxy. She's cute in a MILFy sort of way, she's a bit unobtainable in that Malon way and she has the good grace not to get herself in the shit every few seconds like Elena and not like that dozy bint Peach.
  • KidKatana - April 17, 2012 1:44 a.m.

MALON!
  • sleepyMexican45 - April 17, 2012 12:21 a.m.

MALON!
  • joabbuac - April 17, 2012 12:20 a.m.

Eva in MGS3....she broke my heart aswell as snakes :(
  • KolbitosFruitJuice - April 16, 2012 11:20 p.m.

Garrus is sexy because he looks like and eagle. And eagles are sexy. There are a few other characters from Mass Effect that I totally fell for. And I LOVED Bonnie from RDR. And after Skyward Sword......Zelda. I've always liked her as a character of course, but she was just so god damn unbelievably cute/adorable/pretty in that game. Her and Link were hopelessly, head over heels in love, and I was in love with them being in love. Every time they were together was the cutest thing ever. AAAAAAHHHHHHH! So sweet and adorable. I can hardly take it when I play.
  • slimjim441 - April 16, 2012 9:59 p.m.

Good list. Not my personal faves, but I can see where you're coming from. Garrus is still top spot though. He's unfathomably charming. He's like the Sean Connery of Mass Effect.