We Recommend

• FoxdenRacing - January 7, 2011 9:18 p.m.

I skimmed some of the list, but others were dead on. Don't promise a game that's going to get 13/10 if you're going to deliver a 7; it makes you look silly. Instead, under-promise and over-deliver. I can only think of one the highly-hyped games of 2010 that managed to deliver, and even it didn't completely live up to the hype: Mass Effect 2. Reach was a great game, but felt rushed in the story department. Black Ops was more of the same. Bad Company 2 upped the ante, but only marginally. Medal of Honor walked into the room and looked great, right up until it ripped a massive fart. Gran Turismo 5 fell flat on its face. As for the anger at Angry Birds? I feel the editor's pain...completely justified. 'Lulz! That stuff fell on that other stuff!' physics playgrounds stopped being new, original, or fun 5 years ago...problem is the mainstream has just now discovered them, so it's still novel to them. Or maybe I'm just an old cynic that's tired of business-as-usual barely-incremental annual cash-grabs. I dunno.
  • Scotch - January 7, 2011 9:20 p.m.

Halo: Reach was definitely my most disappointing game too. However I disagree with the Rock Band 3 choice
  • ViolentLee - January 7, 2011 9:26 p.m.

Three of these games made my personal top 10 of 2010 list -- Bayonetta, Alan Wake, and Halo: Reach -- and Rock Band 3 would have made it had I gotten it earlier. Yet Black Ops doesn't make this list? The game where I found a restart-necessary bug in the first level as my character continually respawned INSIDE a pile of flaming debris?
  • GhoulxScout13 - January 7, 2011 9:26 p.m.

I was one of the few for quite some time that actually really enjoyed Halo Reach's campaign, I'm not sure what it was about it but I really drawn to it's pacing and story. However, that could be due to the fact that I despised Halo 3's campaign and honestly had to force myself to play all the way through it just to get to the end. With that said, I will admit that much of it felt as though it was underdeveloped and fleshed out, and some of the larger set pieces that were in the previous titles were def. missed. I guess what my biggest issue with Reach is however is it's multi-player. I love many of the user created modes and of course the Forge mode, but what gets me is how stripped down the most basic of combat modes are (slayer, team slayer, etc.). Maybe I've just been spoiled after playing Black Ops and Battlefield for so long prior to Reach, but is it really so much to ask to be able to pick your gun during the load out screen instead of having to use the DMR or Battlerifle?
  • FriendlyFire - January 7, 2011 9:30 p.m.

Charlie, I'm really glad to know I'm not alone. When I first heard of Angry Birds, my initial reaction was: "Wait, I've played that game 2 years ago with a different skin." Then I heard how *popular* it was becoming and tried digging a little, just in case I missed something. It appears I did not. Angry Birds is some random dolt taking a Flash game from Newgrounds and dumping it on mobiles with a price sticker attached. It's an insult to actual gaming.
  • FrozenImplosion - January 7, 2011 9:34 p.m.

Alan Wake and Metro 2033 were some of the best games of the year imo. Dunno why Alan Wake's been getting crap lately, I thought you guys liked it?? Also, Metro 2033's stealth sections weren't bad, they were just HARD. You had to seriously stay in shadows or you were screwed.
  • CaptainSalmon - January 7, 2011 9:34 p.m.

@Charlie Barratt. THANK YOU. You have no idea how Angry Birds' popularity has baffled me. It's just another take on those crappy knock-stuff-over physics games... and that's it. It doesn't even do it particularly well. And then to have people, nah THE WORLD, go nuts over it is completely astounding. So thank you. Thank you for putting my worries to rest.
  • KaiokenKid - January 7, 2011 9:46 p.m.

Some surpirses here. But I agree with Force Unleashed 2. I actualy just beat it and was disapointed. I beat it in 2 sit downs.
  • pizzasmellslikechrisantista - January 7, 2011 9:53 p.m.

Angry birds was so disapointing that it leaked into 2010. Finaly someone who shares my sentaments on that wonderfully average game
  • infernox - January 7, 2011 10:07 p.m.

im glad other feel the same way about bayonetta. i like angry birds but i just realised that i havent actually listened to the music as i play it with my own music on in the background. its just a flash game you play your fingers.
  • Imgema - January 7, 2011 10:07 p.m.

No hate for OtherM?
  • Jsnooks101 - January 7, 2011 10:08 p.m.

I don't want to sound like a screechy halo fan boy but, To be fair in one game they had to introduce 6 new main characters and other slightly less important characters. ( which they did quite well i believe as i'm sure u can distinguish between each characters personality and style). They then had to kill off all 6 characters to fit in with the halo canon and then kill them off while telling the story of cortana etc ...also i know im sad but spartans don't have their shields on all the time cos it takes huge amounts of power and makes moving generally difficult in non-combat situations it's like being inside a skintight condom ... nasty thought ...
  • bradmillow0 - January 7, 2011 10:11 p.m.

I agree Charlie, Angry Birds sucks
  • DinklemanDog - January 7, 2011 10:12 p.m.

Angry Birds is "about as much fun as watching a confused bird accidentally bounce off my office window" So funny as hell then?
  • DarknessEmerges - January 7, 2011 10:15 p.m.

Like danielbrb I made an account just to agree with Charlie. I HATE Angry Birds. All my friends love it but I dont see whats so great about it. It's just one of those stupid catapult and castle games that are all over the internet for free but done with Birds and those green things. Charlie you are not alone, I hate Angry Birds too.
  • DynamicJul - January 7, 2011 10:16 p.m.

@Jsnooks101 They didn't HAVE to do anything. They could have invented any crap story they wanted to.
  • Aletheon - January 7, 2011 10:19 p.m.

Bayonetta? Wow, sad human being. Angry birds? Terrible choice.
  • GayforGilbert - January 7, 2011 10:25 p.m.

SO MUCH VITRIOL
  • BleedingHatMcGillicutty - January 7, 2011 10:45 p.m.

Don't worry, Charlie! I have said all of those same things about Angry Birds from the very beginning! Of course, I also gave Halo Reach an 8 on my site (theoande.blogspot.com), so maybe we are just like-minded individuals.
  • ventanger - January 7, 2011 11:01 p.m.

I couldn't agree more about Bayonette if you transferred my thoughts directly from my brain using a USB connection, which would be really cool...