• soma9999 - June 26, 2012 4:30 a.m.

I'm honestly glad he came out and said what he said. So many entitled gamers are so quick to go to action over anything they consider wrong with "their" games. Hell, back in the NES days, do you remember how many games had terrible endings? Even up to the 32-bit generation, sometimes your favorite series just kind of shafted you. Were there letter writing campaigns and protests? Nope. The whole Mass Effect 3 ending war was the most pathetic, self-entitled filth I've ever seen my community roll around in, and it makes me sad to be a gamer sometimes. So, yeah, I get it when developers just want to scream "grow the hell up!" because I think there a lot of very vocal gamers right now who need to do just that. Kudos to Harada-san, and hopefully somebody listens.
  • ParagonT - June 26, 2012 7:57 a.m.

I think personally the word "entitled" is the new slang for those that think that if you don't bend over backwards for companies, your wrong. Or if your cynical about any part of a game, your just "entitled". I think it's personally immature to even use the word, since no one uses it in the right meaning. I'm actually more proud of the cynical crowd of gamers, because they are the ones raising the bar in game quality. Others that think they should just sit back, and take whatever is pushed out are only promoting the mindset of "compliance and content". I think there is a clear difference in saying "gamers are entitled when endings are crap" and saying "some gamers do not voice their concern and displeasure in a rational matter". Believe it or not, not all developers are there for the fans. Frankly, if fans didn't voice anything, developers would be just as happy to push out a game with less content knowing that gamers would still buy it. It's a money making industry, and as much as developers wish to make their fans and consumers happy, they will do things they would not have ever dreamed of to make their games sell. Unless of course, they're independent, but is Tekken Indie? Nope. I'll agree and say that many gamers act like cocks many a times, but saying their "entitled" is a bit misleading and what I think is wrong. They do good and bad for the industry.
  • SiPod - June 26, 2012 9:12 a.m.

I don't think that it's quite as black and white as that. Cynicism is certainly healthy, as is constructive criticism. But entitlement in this context is referring to the 'more, more, more' crowd; the people who feel like they're actually owed more, be it through personal investment in a product or out of loyalty to a series. And I don't think that people who speak up against that practice should be labelled as compliant or have their views discounted because of some assumed corporate fanaticism. It's just cynicism on the other side of the same coin.
  • ParagonT - June 26, 2012 9:41 a.m.

I think that if your going to pay for something, it gives you the right to complain about its creation and content. Yes, I agree with them being healthy, but if the product was free, I would see "entitlement" being an issue, but it's not in this context. Developers needs to listen to their fans and consumers in order to make the best possible game that will sell, but there will always be those that are being brats about it; not at the fact that they are complaining, but how they are going about it. As for being labeled as compliant, what would you label those that sit back, and takes whatever is pushed out? That sounds like compliance to me, but perhaps you have a different view.
  • SiPod - June 26, 2012 10:40 a.m.

Maybe, but we're not talking about people like that. The point of my comment, which I might not have articulated very well on account of not having enough caffeine in my bloodstream, was that it's unfair to brand someone as compliant just because they're speaking out in defence of a company. It's like calling someone a fanboy because they enjoy a particular game that you don't, it's meaningless (that's not aimed at you by the way). And I absolutely agree that anyone is entitled to complain about something they've paid for. If it isn't up to scratch, it's broken or isn't as advertised, then definitely. But creative control is another issue entirely, and whilst the better developers tend to have discourse with the community it isn't a prerequisite on their part.
  • ParagonT - June 26, 2012 1:55 p.m.

I believe that if you do not wish for anything to change, your complying and content with the companies methods of development or content. It's not meant to be taken as an offensive term, but it's just how it is. I hate the word fanboy as well, people confuse that term with what I think to be compliant stances some people have. In the end, I think were roughly suggesting the same thing, I don't believe I was clear in my first comment. Compliance and contentedness is not a bad thing for people to have a mindset of, but I would much rather have people nitpick and criticize a game, than to be 100% satisfied with everything. The criticism pushes the game to new heights whereas the compliance keeps the games content and quality "standard" in regards to perhaps what they would have developed.
  • SiPod - June 27, 2012 1:44 a.m.

Yeah, you're right, I think we're actually on the same page.
  • mockraven - June 26, 2012 12:30 p.m.

Over all I agree with you, there. When people complain that they're being screwed over by a company's business practice, others respond that they've got an "entitled" attitude. While there *are* people who nitpick at every little detail, the word "entitled" sometimes seems to encompass every complaint, whether legitimate or frivolous. Even constructive criticism is subject to the "entitled" attack, when the very point of constructive criticism is to help make an already loved game/franchise better. Also, there's a difference between complaining about creative freedom (which I wholeheartedly support as it gave us gems like Enslaved, Journey, Okami, etc.), and bad business practices -- releasing a broken game with the "patch-fix it later" attitude, pre-made or on-disk DLC, over the top DRM techniques, etc. Yet, somehow wanting a company to make better decisions in how they treat their customers tends to also fall into the "entitled" category. On topic: It sounds like the makers of Tekken are trying their best to accommodate the majority of their fans but are having trouble with the nitpickers. I kind of wish some of Harada's statements were kept in a more professional tone, but I also realise Twitter's a bit more of a casual environment for communication than an official announcement or interview.
  • larkan - June 26, 2012 9:55 a.m.

I agree to a point, but some of the people protesting about ME3 have legitimate arguments. Games are a product, and there were a few articles in which Bioware representatives had made declarations on what would be in the game, specifically on how your decisions throughout all three games would provide a large number of possible endings. As consumers, people have the right to contact a company if they feel they did not get what they were promised, and what they paid for. While it is sad that the majority of the complaints were thrown into the spotlight because of their immature appearance, there were some that simply felt their investment of nearly $200 across three games was not satisfactory. The answer to all these problems is simple, yet people will never get the message: Stop buying games. It's that simple. Move onto another hobby. We are at a point right now where companies are doing everything they possibly can to take our money and give us little in return. I for one, will never buy a new version of a Bioware, Blizzard, or id game after their last few releases. I would much rather take the time to play older, better quality games for a year, wait for their prices to drop in a Steam deal, and be happy I didn't spend $60 on something worth no more than $20. If we want better quality, less buggy games, we need to speak with our wallets, not our keyboards. Think about it....Bioware KNEW the ending sucked, put it out the way it was to garner as much attention as possible for people to pay attention....they've had this DLC done for quite some time, they just held back part of the ending to build up as much hype as possible to increase sales.
  • angelusdlion - June 26, 2012 10:06 a.m.

I'm not trying to excuse the ME3 whiners... But you do realize that back in the NES days, they had no choice but to have bad endings? It was either cut the endings or cut the main game. Most people wouldn't even make it to the end anyway.
  • FOZ - June 26, 2012 5:14 p.m.

Are you really going to compare Mass Effect 3, a lavishly-expensive 3 game series with countless multimedia tie-ins to some unnamed 32-bit games that might have had bad endings? That was nearly 20 years ago, is what some people are forgetting. The internet, media, communication from developers to everyone else, all pretty different now from what it was back then. Stop pretending everything prior to the present was some sort of peaceful, idyllic society where no one ever got mad, and that it's only the past 15 years that inexplicably transformed millions of people into crazed hatemongers.