• BladedFalcon - November 7, 2013 8:11 a.m.

That's... Incredibly underwhelming. Considering how well FE: Awakening did, I really was hoping that if they were gonna put a "Marth" like character, they'd use Lucina, or even Crom. But going again with just Marth is an incredibly boring choice :/
  • JarkayColt - November 7, 2013 8:43 a.m.

That's what I was thinking as well, but consider this: after the reveal (when they dropped Mega Man, the Villager and Wii Fit Trainer), all the other characters confirmed so far are returning fighters. I thought it was a fairly sure thing Marth would be in the game, because he's certainly the face of Fire Emblem and has been in the previous 2 Smashes. They're obviously saving the rest of the new characters until later and getting all the veterans over with first. Just because Marth is in the game doesn't mean, say, Chrom or another character isn't, who will likely take Ike's old spot. Also, if the male Fit Trainer is indicative of a new feature of skins, Lucina could well be a Marth skin (which I'd rather have than two seperate characters to be honest; they're pretty similar, and makes sense as Lucina masquerades as Marth.)
  • BladedFalcon - November 7, 2013 9:08 a.m.

...How is Marth the face of the series anyway? at least in America, the only Fire Emblem game we've had with Marth as a prominent character was Shadow Warrior, and that game was shit and almost killed the franchise over here. Yes, he got popular thanks to SB: Melee, but to say he's the face for the FE series would imply that he's the face of the games that have been popular of that series here, and he hasn't, at all. Like I've harped on below, I just find it a shame and a waste that, with such a vast cast of characters to choose from, they always pick the most vanilla, similar looking ones :/
  • JarkayColt - November 7, 2013 9:41 a.m.

Okay, maybe "face of..." wasn't the correct term to use, but he's still an icon. He was the original Lord and hero of the Fire Emblem games, appearing in multiple titles; he has status in Japan. He's an intrinsic part of the series' legacy (and, as you say, its popularity outside of Japan), so he deserves to stay. When I think of Fire Emblem, I think of Marth and Falchion. Probably not the same for everyone, but it makes sense to me. ...also Shadow Dragon was my first FE; I liked that game ;_; it's one of my favourites on DS, but then, I can't compare to the quality of the previous ones... But I do agree there are more interesting FE characters out there then the Lords which tend to be pretty generic, but then, they aren't as prominent. Assist Trophies, maybe? (How about a dud one where Kellam appears and just flails his arms about in a vain attempt to gain attention? "Don't mind me...")
  • BladedFalcon - November 7, 2013 9:59 a.m.

Well, it's not like that at all for me, but I guess we should just leave that as a differences of tastes. And well... If you can, try tracking down and playing The two Fire Emblems that came out for GBA? Even though they are older and on a less powerful system, I still think they have way more charm and personality than Shadow Dragon did. I mean, I don't deride you for liking shadow Dragon if it was your first experience with the series, had Shadow Dragon been my first game, i probably would have liked it as well. But precisely because I played the other two games first, i felt like Shadow Dragon was a significant step down for the series. And the poor sales of the game really did nearly kill the franchise over here.
  • JarkayColt - November 7, 2013 11:39 a.m.

Yup! I can respect the opinions of others without having to start some manner of petty argument over it XD if you'd rather have not seen Marth in the game, that's perfectly fine. Doesn't hurt to have a bit of "new blood" (unintentional royal lineage pun?) every now and then, especially considering how FE changes up its protagonists anyway. And I will keep my eye out for those GBA games! I've heard good things about them. Makes me kinda wish that Nintendo would pull their fingers out and get GBA games on the 3DS eShop proper. Absolutely no valid reason why they can't. The Ambassadors aren't going to care if you make something seemingly "exclusive", that they got for free, available to the general public for the usual *cough*overextortionate*cough* price... I'd probably pay it, if only for the convenie-oh, wait, but it's not more convenient because they haven't done it yet >:[ To eBay! (See Nintendo, this is where you're missing out on lovely, lovely money.)
  • BladedFalcon - November 7, 2013 12:22 p.m.

Yeah, I have also criticized Nintendo repeatedly for not having their ambassador games available for purchase... or any GBA games, for that matter.
  • Cyberninja - November 7, 2013 8:43 a.m.

I don't think they should use Lucina for tons of reasons, and there is still a strong possibility for Chrom to take the place of Ike
  • BladedFalcon - November 7, 2013 9:03 a.m.

...Such as? Aside from maybe being a free spoiler, what's wrong with using Lucina? Also, that would be WORSE, for a series that has so many characters and so varied both personality, design, and gameplay-wise, it's a huge waste to have TWO characters that look, play and act so similar from each other.
  • shawksta - November 7, 2013 8:54 a.m.

Marth is one of the more important characters competitive wise in the smash roster. And frankly Marth and Ike in brawl were widely different from each other so they weren't clones either. And besides, this is a returning character, there's still a chance for others as newcomers.
  • BladedFalcon - November 7, 2013 9:04 a.m.

You could have made Lucina maskerading as marth to play exactly the same. And even if they weren't "clones" having two lords as players instead of having one lord and say, a mage or a mercenary or any other fucking class in the game seems redundant still.
  • shawksta - November 7, 2013 10:02 a.m.

I wont deny, that would be awesome, especially a different class though it's not their fault good representatives for the series happen to be Prince Class (or is prince class as a starting) same for some exceptions who knows. Chrom can go to Mercenary and Archer, if he makes it maybe we'll get moves that'll compliment those classes.
  • BladedFalcon - November 7, 2013 10:43 a.m.

...Actually, it's entirely their fault, because THEY are the ones that push and present the princes as the protagonists and faces of every god damn game, and fail to make the other characters as prominent even though they often are way more interesting. Your argument would only hold water if they had tried to make anything other than a prince or a lord be the main focus and had failed, or if the side character lord type had taken the spotlight despite being a side character, but this has never been the case.
  • shawksta - November 7, 2013 11:18 a.m.

Oh no it definitely is their fault, I'm talking about Smash choosing a representative.
  • BladedFalcon - November 7, 2013 11:35 a.m.

Oh, right! Well, I guess. I would have still gone for Chrom over Marth, but oh well. And yes, i know Crom could still be a character, but i meant Crom taking Marth's place altogether, and Marth just not appearing anymore :P
  • shawksta - November 7, 2013 12:15 p.m.

I know what you mean. Back in the Brawl update days, Lucas just popped out of f*cking nowhere to which people thought he wouldve replaced Ness. That wasnt the case but if the character selection was specific and limited, Lucas probably wouldve fully replaced him as he had the same moveset but different properties and some different standard moves. The situation wouldve happened now with Lucina, but unfortunately it didnt. Guess we'll have to wait and see what'll happen and just how long Sakurai is going to wait till he reveals an actual Newcomer.
  • ObliqueZombie - November 7, 2013 9:15 a.m.

Maybe... they'll use Lucina as a skin? :/ That would be nice. Or maybe they'll add, like, Chrom, Avatar, and other peeps later. They release they characters kinda slow, so maybe we'll see the ones we want in due time.
  • g1rldraco7 - November 7, 2013 7:12 a.m.

They finally added to this roster. I was hoping to see Ike one more time, but I must be strong!!!!!! I was hoping for more thrid party characters this time around.
  • Darklink25x - November 6, 2013 4:38 p.m.

I would love to see young link back in the fray, and THE SKULL KID from majoras mask. His final smash could be calling down the moon
  • Lv24Magmar - November 5, 2013 6:49 a.m.

This is turning out to be the worst Smash Bros yet. Animal Crossing and Wii Fit characters are the stupidiest fighters imaginable. I'd rather play as Toad. We need Metroid Prime Hunters characters, Majora's Mask Link (with all his masks) four Pokémon from X and Y, King K Roll, one of those Super Monkey Ball characters, Glover, the main character from Skies of Arcadia (like someone here said) and I guess Sora too since EVERYONE loves that game... character-specific pickups would be cool, and what happened to that Goemon game and Quest 64? Microsoft should throw in a Halo Grunt, Hunter, and Elite that would be incredible. But most of all we NEED an all Pokémon Smash Bros!
  • shawksta - November 7, 2013 8:56 a.m.

Relax man Villager and Wii Fit Trainer are icons, you cant just ignore them just because you don't like them. This is smash bros after all, Nintendo characters from various series fighting each other, not limited to 5 series.
  • GOD - October 31, 2013 2:29 p.m.

Wii Fit Trainer (male) is an alt costume. He's doing an identical animation (rather than a similar but different one like a semi clone), is the same height (no idea why people see them as different heights), and the screenshot was released without any announcement on the official site unlike every single other character. On Halloween, you dress up in (an alternate) cosume. Get it?
  • megamanandkirby64 - October 31, 2013 1:57 p.m.

If this is an alternate "costume", I'm going to rage! Wii Fit Trainer putting on a costume that makes her look like a man (and possibly have a masculine voice) defies all logic. It even defies video game logic. I don't know any other video game that does anything like that. I'm hoping what they do is when you pick Wii Fit Trainer, your little rectangle at the bottom of the screen, I don't know what it's called, has a picture of the female and the male and you pick the one you want like how you can choose between Sheik and Zelda. Hopefully they announce that's how it works sometime soon.
  • shawksta - October 31, 2013 11:23 a.m.

Nah its not a character, its either a special color, or confirmation of an alt. costume like Wario in Brawl, though it does raise questions about the hitbox but it just doesnt feel like a seperate character. It could be an Assist Trophy, who knows It IS halloween, Sakurai that sneaky bastard, putting a costume as an image. Nb4 Female Villager