• duffer00 - November 7, 2013 2:10 p.m.

Really hoping they throw Crom in there as well.
  • supaMcnugget - November 7, 2013 3:48 p.m.

I was quite surprised to see that it was the old Marth style. They probably did so because they wanted people to be able to recognize that particular character. Still, I hope they at least have skins for Chrom and Lucina.
  • winner2 - November 7, 2013 12:51 p.m.

Wooh!
  • J-Fid - November 7, 2013 10:26 a.m.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe they are announcing the returning characters first, because they will be who we start with. All of the new characters would be unlockable. The exceptions would be the three new characters already announced. Just a thought. Oh, I told my roommate yesterday there'd probably be a character announced today, and I was right! (though it's kinda predictable) My next prediction is 12/3 or 12/5.
  • JarkayColt - November 7, 2013 11:49 a.m.

Everybody is going to hold you to that prediction now. I hope you have some sort of contingency plan in place for when the angry mob turns up on your doorstop demanding to know why everybody's favourite Smash character, Meta-R.O.B-&-Watch, was announced on December the 4th instead. Prepare yourself.
  • JarkayColt - November 7, 2013 11:54 a.m.

Dammit. That must be one massive doorstop if it can accommodate an entire angry mob. I love typos.
  • J-Fid - November 7, 2013 12:52 p.m.

Fortunately, I don't have to worry about R.O.B. destroying me if I'm wrong (Henry and Coop might not be as fortunate. I think they were wrong again.). As for the angry mob, I'll just host them to a Brawl tournament. That way, they can play as Meta-R.O.B.-&-Watch!
  • JarkayColt - November 7, 2013 1:23 p.m.

Yeah, I know right? I mean, I thought Marth was totally, absolutely, definitely not going to be in the game, just like how Toon Link was totally, absolutely, DEFINITELY not going to be in the game? You mean we've all been...lied to? XD All we need now is for someone like Lucario or R.O.B to be confirmed and the "characters that won't make the cut" episode will become a gloriously inaccurate prediction reel. (We still love you GamesRadar!)
  • shawksta - November 7, 2013 11:49 a.m.

All the updates beforehand sans Toon Link,Luigi,Sonic and Marth were all 12. Your probably right and frankly i dont see a problem with it, Melee had Ness and Captain Falcon Available from the start so i wouldnt be suprised if Marth is unlocked from the start this time around.
  • J-Fid - November 7, 2013 12:54 p.m.

I think it wouldn't be a bad idea at all. Also, Sakurai might keep a secret who the new characters are, and we would only know about them once we unlocked them.
  • shawksta - November 7, 2013 3:03 p.m.

Sakurai definitely wants to avoid what happened with Brawl, sure the brawl updates were very good but we ended up spoiling the game, especially when the leak of all the new characters and subspace popped up.
  • markgamer1097 - November 13, 2013 9:05 a.m.

wow you were good at prodicting could you prodict if sora will be eventually be reveled to this game i am getting a wii u for christmas hurrra and he had a new game for 3ds he was on the suggestion list could u help me please
  • J-Fid - November 13, 2013 9:48 a.m.

Well... I can't really expect Sora to be in Smash Bros. in any form. Kingdom Hearts is a 3rd Party franchise, and I can't imagine the difficulties that Nintendo and Square Enix (who's not Nintendo's best friend) would have to go through just for Sora to make an appearance (go look up Geno). I would be beyond shocked if Square Enix contributed anything to the next Smash Bros. Sorry if that makes you more upset than happy, but that's how I honestly feel.
  • BladedFalcon - November 7, 2013 8:11 a.m.

That's... Incredibly underwhelming. Considering how well FE: Awakening did, I really was hoping that if they were gonna put a "Marth" like character, they'd use Lucina, or even Crom. But going again with just Marth is an incredibly boring choice :/
  • JarkayColt - November 7, 2013 8:43 a.m.

That's what I was thinking as well, but consider this: after the reveal (when they dropped Mega Man, the Villager and Wii Fit Trainer), all the other characters confirmed so far are returning fighters. I thought it was a fairly sure thing Marth would be in the game, because he's certainly the face of Fire Emblem and has been in the previous 2 Smashes. They're obviously saving the rest of the new characters until later and getting all the veterans over with first. Just because Marth is in the game doesn't mean, say, Chrom or another character isn't, who will likely take Ike's old spot. Also, if the male Fit Trainer is indicative of a new feature of skins, Lucina could well be a Marth skin (which I'd rather have than two seperate characters to be honest; they're pretty similar, and makes sense as Lucina masquerades as Marth.)
  • BladedFalcon - November 7, 2013 9:08 a.m.

...How is Marth the face of the series anyway? at least in America, the only Fire Emblem game we've had with Marth as a prominent character was Shadow Warrior, and that game was shit and almost killed the franchise over here. Yes, he got popular thanks to SB: Melee, but to say he's the face for the FE series would imply that he's the face of the games that have been popular of that series here, and he hasn't, at all. Like I've harped on below, I just find it a shame and a waste that, with such a vast cast of characters to choose from, they always pick the most vanilla, similar looking ones :/
  • JarkayColt - November 7, 2013 9:41 a.m.

Okay, maybe "face of..." wasn't the correct term to use, but he's still an icon. He was the original Lord and hero of the Fire Emblem games, appearing in multiple titles; he has status in Japan. He's an intrinsic part of the series' legacy (and, as you say, its popularity outside of Japan), so he deserves to stay. When I think of Fire Emblem, I think of Marth and Falchion. Probably not the same for everyone, but it makes sense to me. ...also Shadow Dragon was my first FE; I liked that game ;_; it's one of my favourites on DS, but then, I can't compare to the quality of the previous ones... But I do agree there are more interesting FE characters out there then the Lords which tend to be pretty generic, but then, they aren't as prominent. Assist Trophies, maybe? (How about a dud one where Kellam appears and just flails his arms about in a vain attempt to gain attention? "Don't mind me...")
  • BladedFalcon - November 7, 2013 9:59 a.m.

Well, it's not like that at all for me, but I guess we should just leave that as a differences of tastes. And well... If you can, try tracking down and playing The two Fire Emblems that came out for GBA? Even though they are older and on a less powerful system, I still think they have way more charm and personality than Shadow Dragon did. I mean, I don't deride you for liking shadow Dragon if it was your first experience with the series, had Shadow Dragon been my first game, i probably would have liked it as well. But precisely because I played the other two games first, i felt like Shadow Dragon was a significant step down for the series. And the poor sales of the game really did nearly kill the franchise over here.
  • JarkayColt - November 7, 2013 11:39 a.m.

Yup! I can respect the opinions of others without having to start some manner of petty argument over it XD if you'd rather have not seen Marth in the game, that's perfectly fine. Doesn't hurt to have a bit of "new blood" (unintentional royal lineage pun?) every now and then, especially considering how FE changes up its protagonists anyway. And I will keep my eye out for those GBA games! I've heard good things about them. Makes me kinda wish that Nintendo would pull their fingers out and get GBA games on the 3DS eShop proper. Absolutely no valid reason why they can't. The Ambassadors aren't going to care if you make something seemingly "exclusive", that they got for free, available to the general public for the usual *cough*overextortionate*cough* price... I'd probably pay it, if only for the convenie-oh, wait, but it's not more convenient because they haven't done it yet >:[ To eBay! (See Nintendo, this is where you're missing out on lovely, lovely money.)
  • BladedFalcon - November 7, 2013 12:22 p.m.

Yeah, I have also criticized Nintendo repeatedly for not having their ambassador games available for purchase... or any GBA games, for that matter.