• Redeater - December 18, 2013 1:08 p.m.

Where is my "Yarn" Kirby 2 or Yoshi? Where are my HD Galaxies or new Metroids? What's that? We get a Zelda Dynasty Warriors that looks like it's from the PS2 era? Wait, it doesn't even have a proper title in all odds we won't be getting it for at least 2-3 years? Oh, but it's ok. We have another character in Smash Bros............
  • Divine Paladin - December 18, 2013 5:58 p.m.

Nintendo has, since 2013 began, formally announced (I.e. Visually, with a trailer) one game that didn't launch within a year. That was DKC:TF, only because of delay. I'm not defending the lack of games, because that's inexcusable. Just follow me here. With a game like Dynasty Warriors, it takes maybe two years of development time, most of which would b. To polish the graphics. I expect Hyrule Warriors out by the end of 2014 because of this: The game seems to be at least Alpha Stage, and with the turnaround Gundam and One Piece Pirate Warriors got from game to game, going from Alpha to done isn't a stretch of more than that year we have left now. Zelda U was apparently, like E3, ready to be shown. Last minute it was pulled and replaced with what is clearly not an intentional Hyrule Warriors trailer (it didn't even have a logo concept). So Aonuma pulled out until E3 in case he needed to delay the game until early 2015. This all ties in to my point. Nintendo doesn't wanna disappoint with early announcements. Yoshi's Yarn will hit in 2014 for what I am now fully convinced is the Year of Yoshi (good call, GR), but as you sort of noted was unveiled too early. (I'm guessing it'll hit around late summer but that's unrelated right now.) Reggie already spilled a bit too much about a new Metroid at the VGX, too. But based on Nintendo's marketing strategy over the past year, as compared go the U launch, I can safely say it is better for everyone if they don't jump the gun. Sure, you're mad now, but there's a likely chance you'll be consuming Mario Kart 8, DKC, and possibly SSB within six months, and that's a pretty good spring if you ask me. I'm positive a Metroid is in development (and hopeful for a Star Fox too), so you just have to have faith that Nintendo knows what it's doing with its marketing right now. I had NO faith in 3D World when it was announced earlier this year, but Nintendo knows how to make games, and on how to flip the hype switch. I'm hoping my rambling didn't distract from the overall point here, but just in case, a quick TL;DR: Nintendo has seemingly had a set plan for announcing shit. While the wait can be arduous, it's best we give them the benefit of the doubt.
  • Jackonomics2.0 - December 18, 2013 12:57 p.m.

My roommate squealed like a girl. Though I gotta give it to em, faking a "Kirby in Mario Kart" only to turn into smash was pretty neat. Though apparently there are people that were disappointed that it wasn't actually Kirby in Mario Kart, but only because they are still sucking Kirby Air Ride's dick. Some people actually thought this whole thing meant a Kirby Air Ride 2. Cant blame em.
  • KNITEpanda - December 18, 2013 12:08 p.m.

I would LOVE to see a playable Monster Hunter character. Or at least one of the random encounters that happen throughout a map. They could either come help you fight in high level monster gear. Or even one of the iconic monsters showing up to do damage across the screen would be amazing.
  • g1rldraco7 - December 18, 2013 11:51 a.m.

I keep thinking that this is a sign of Super Mario Galaxy 3 is coming or because she is a playable character in 3D World.
  • J-Fid - December 18, 2013 3:06 p.m.

I think it's because she's in 3D World. The recommendation on her page points to that game.
  • BladedFalcon - December 18, 2013 7:10 a.m.

...Welp, guess I was wring in thinking Nintendo would step up their game for this new Nintendo direct.
  • shawksta - December 18, 2013 7:57 a.m.

Depends on how you look at it. Hyrule Warriors only shows Nintendo is continuing their plan on letting third parties handle their IP's and just letting their IP's into everything, only strengthened by that Yoshi's Island Sonic Zone DLC and future Most-likely-but-not-confirmed Zelda DLC Then there's got Eshop stuff and then there's the psuedo Mario Kart into Smash trailer. and apparently Japan and Europe got even more stuff like a release date for Layton vs Ace Attorney and other things. It was mostly 3DS but we also got some neat things for Wii U, more or less
  • Cyberninja - December 18, 2013 8:07 a.m.

I agree I was perfectly content with this Nintendo Direct it showed that Nintendo does its own thing and is unconcerned with its competitors
  • BladedFalcon - December 18, 2013 8:27 a.m.

Read: Nintendo has no real idea of what they want or need to do and they are just making random shit of whatever they can think of without committing to any particular strong strategy or vision.
  • BladedFalcon - December 18, 2013 8:15 a.m.

...Yes, because what Nintendo fans wanted to hear wasn't more about a New Zelda, a new star Fox, a new IP altogether, or at the very least more concrete details about the new Smash bros games that isn't a single character reveal... Apparently, what fans want, (And what Nintendo seems to think they need to get back on track...) is a spin-off that's basically a zelda skinned version of Dinasty Warriors... A franchise that just about anyone that isn't Jim Sterling is completely sick of at this point. DLC for a Third party game that wasn't that great nor that popular to begin with. And a Luigi themed version of Dr Mario... A puzzle game that isn't really that popular nor that beloved within the already niche genre of puzzles... Even looking at it from different angles, I fail to see how what they presented here is in any way better or more exciting than anything of what people actually WANT from Nintendo. See, this is my problem with you, or just about every diehard fan of Nintendo out there: Compare the comments and posts made on the days before a Nintendo direct or a press reveal is announced, look at what people clamor and ask from Nintendo. Then compare it to what is actually revealed and presented: It's very rarely what people want or even better; It's always LESS. And yet, as shown by your above post, instead of getting angry or feeling betrayed by Nintendo, the first things fans do is to bend over backwards to defend the shit they just revealed even though it isn't remotely what they wanted in the first place. It's the kind of twisted, baffling brand loyalty that I just don't see with any other company.
  • Cyberninja - December 18, 2013 8:46 a.m.

Nintendo does things that interesting and different, I personally am not sick of the DW fanchise since I have only played one game and look at the post from yesterday I made about the Nintendo Direct and tell me again what I was asking for exactly? I know a New Zelda comes when New Zelda comes after all we just had Link between Worlds for 3DS which was new, a new star fox I could care less about and in case you didn't notice new ips are pretty frequent for their smaller games. I went in with no expectations for the Nintendo Direct and was pleasantly surprised by the result, I have no reason to feel betrayal or anything of that nature. But then again you can never speak for all fans some people will always want more then they will get, but seriously check my comment for yesterday and see if my attitude and response reflect how I feel. After all I see a bunch of new interesting games I will enjoy playing and you see Nintendo failing to keep up with Mircosoft and Sony but to each his own
  • Cyberninja - December 18, 2013 8:51 a.m.

Also I will state the only time I have been disappointed by a companies event was the PS4 launch, they hyped it up like they would have new annoucements that mattered and the only thing we learned about was a new uncharted which I could care less about. remember I am not a blind Nintendo fanboy I play a good deal of games on Sony consoles as well after all 2 of the next 3 games I am purchasing are LR:FF13 and Blazblue:CP both for my PS3
  • pl4y4h - December 18, 2013 9:01 a.m.

But...but...Cranky Kong..... Kidding of course, but nintendo is all over the place right now and not necessarily in a good way
  • BladedFalcon - December 18, 2013 11:08 a.m.

...Yes, because a re-skin of a franchise that has over 20 titles that feature the exact same gameplay over and over again is something totally interesting and different... Just because YOU have only played only one game doesn't negate the fact that the DW franchise is even more formulaic and tired than the Call of Duty franchise at this point. Also, I made a generalization on purpose, because while it may not apply to YOU, go and look at the posts of the majority of the people in such threads, both in this site and others, and you'll see that most of them pretty much do have an expectation set. Werther that's right or not that's another matter entirely, but just because it doesn't apply to you, doesn't negate it for the people that do. So yeah, if you actually found the announcements exciting, then good for you. Though i'm still pretty much convinced that if these same kinds of announcements had been made by any other company, no one would have batted an eye, or they would have complained. And yeah, I won't defend the PS4 launch event, that was pretty underwhelming in every shape and form.
  • Vonter - December 18, 2013 12:02 p.m.

I don't know why you're mad at the very least you could move on, like if every other company revealed something lackluster you simply ignore it. I'm not defending the direct, just that is kind of tiring hearing people feeling entitled for Nintendo to do things, since in the end if you don't get what you want you go to other places, I don't buy EA games, is bad Nintendo will not have their support, but I don't care. I liked the Smash video, because it didn't feel like an after thought like Sonic reveal, I like Bravely default demo is a prologue, and I was surprised for the Zelda crossover because, frankly I've never played that series and as of now I'm expecting being something niche and odd like Pokemon Conquest.
  • BladedFalcon - December 18, 2013 12:58 p.m.

I don't think I ever gave the impression that I was mad in any way, if nothing else, I'm simply disappointed in the sense that I'd think they would want to step up their game now that things are looking increasingly more dire for their console. I don't see how this is in any way entitlement, heck, considering my dislike for the Wii U you could even say this is better because it'll help sink the machine faster. Yet I'm still a gamer, I still love Nintendo games, and I DO like when Nintendo surprises with genuinely new, fun stuff, but in this case, I really don't think that's what happened.
  • Vonter - December 18, 2013 1:05 p.m.

Oh ok, my apologies then. Just a suggestion, careful when generalizing since most often than not people have different views about something.
  • BladedFalcon - December 18, 2013 1:33 p.m.

Yes, which is why I was targeting a specific section of people. And besides, generalizing is just easier, if there are exceptions then that can be dealt with when it comes up. But if there IS an existing trend between a large group of people, you can't expect someone to make a case by case statement :P
  • shawksta - December 18, 2013 8:59 a.m.

Cyberninja said it already but let me tell you something. and this goes for anyone out there, your a fool if you set your expectations high on a Nintendo direct and do it every goddamn time. Your not entitled, your spoiled, we are even lucky we GET Nintendo Direct in the first place. You cant set high standards especially when they flat out tell you what said direct is about. If there's a surprise big reveal, there you go, but otherwise your not supposed to expect one till Nintendo says they are putting one. Also Nintendo in general is about new experiences, for better or for worse they experiment and do different things. Iwata said it himself that its common for them to ""betray people's expectations". Is a star fox overdue? Yes, your constantly blabbing about it and becoming Cranky Kong about it while dismissing everything else is just selfish entitlement. If you recall GR's old article about how doing nothing but listening to fans is never a good idea and Nintendo tends to go to a different direction people soon learn to appreciate. Nobody expected Mario Galaxy, its sequel, and neither did they expect Super Mario 3D World, and yet people wouldnt have experienced the goodness those 2 brought if Nintendo just released another Open World 3D Platforming game that didnt innovate or bring a fantastic experience. What your saying is that im SUPPOSED to get mad "Because its not what the fans wanted" but i didnt set expectations, all i did was be suprised by the games they showed on said direct. Now i understand your concern and critique against Nintendo's decisions and in terms of games and software, THAT in general is fine, but throwing it against Nintendo Direct is pushing it because its nothing your entitled to. and really Smash bros is more on reveal, its has been like this every goddamn time.
  • BladedFalcon - December 18, 2013 11:51 a.m.

U mad boy? Awfully defensive there, aren't we? I don't believe anything of what I said was in any way feeling entitled about getting something. Having expectations doesn't equal entitlement, at least, not last time I checked. And whether you like it or not, when you release a product, or you become known for something, you WILL have people expecting something from you. Also... just to show how much you lost it in this post, and how you truly can become a mindless fanboy who will bend backwards to defend what you like even if you end up directly contradicting yourself. In the past when we both argued about super Mario 3D, I was the one arguing that one of the biggest flaws Nintendo had, is that they didn't really innovate that much, nor do they take risks with new franchises. And you immediately jumped and said that this wasn't a bad thing and that Nintendo was about delivering quality experiences and blah blah blah. Fast forward to now, and while indeed I was proven wrong about Super Mario 3D World, (And I do believe I immediately acknowledged it.) it also highlights a complete 180 from your previous stance... While my own point still stands. Because, as much as you're ranting above about "how Nintendo is all about defying expectations" and shit... Nothing that they shown in this Nintendo direct was in any way innovative or a risk. They defied expectations only in that they released derivative, less ambitious stuff from their lesser known franchises, but you can tell me with a straight face that any f the elements shown in the Nintendo direct are truly new or innovative. So yeah... I'd recommend you chill out before you go on into your silly angry rants like this one, because they only make you sound far more irrational and ignorant than what I know you really are. You're better than this, act like it.