Topics

720 Xbox

• FoxdenRacing - November 9, 2011 11:14 a.m.

Way to make me feel old, GR. :p The DirectX Box is really coming up on 10 years? Where did the time go... Sad as my wallet is to hear me say this, it's time. PC hardware has come a LONG way in 6 years, and what was boutique back then is bargain-bin now...and I'm still thinking they're covering up for a Winter '12 release. They have the 'chump' to launch first [historically, the NES is the only console to have ever launched first and come out on top], they'd have their killer app in Halo 4...I'm watching for a surprise Winter '12 release. If the 'helper core' rumor is true, don't expect 360 backwards-compatibility; the hardware will be too different.
  • badgraphix1 - November 9, 2011 12:04 p.m.

What makes you think they'll wait for the chump to launch first? They didn't last time.
  • badgraphix1 - November 9, 2011 12:05 p.m.

Oh wait, you mean the Wii U? We know it will come out after that, otherwise they would have announced it already.
  • FoxdenRacing - November 10, 2011 9:42 a.m.

I'm just looking at history. Yes, X360 was this generation's chump...and it's not the top seller (That would be Wii...love it or hate it, it moved the most hardware). The pattern holds. ^_- This time by, Wii U is first...and history isn't on its side. It may or may not be 2nd, but the smart money's on it not being 1st. For MS, it's do or die time. They've had 2 generations and 10 years, they need a 'winner'. Sega's the only company to have stuck around after 3 successive runner-ups...I sincerely doubt they'll fold [MS' games division is profitable], but they're the only active console maker without a win to their name. For Sony, they're in a similar situation. They followed the exact path that Nintendo did...went from dark horse to beloved champion to bitten by their own arrogance; I'm not sure which way they'll go next generation. The 8th will either see them licking their wounds and come back swinging in the 9th, or they'll come out swinging in the 8th and it'll be a coin toss on whether or not they'll take the top slot. There's also been rumors that they're going to skip the 8th completely, but that's suicide IMO. Power or no power, 8 years old vs new and shiny, new and shiny wins. With the guys they have leading the PS division now, they have a good chance at taking back the top spot. They have guys that eat, sleep, and breathe games running the show now. The question is, how much influence will they have over PS4, and will they be made into sacrificial lambs if they have no influence and the PS4 underperforms. From the point of view of a guy that takes just as much joy from studying the industry as he does playing games, the 8th has the potential to be VERY interesting.
  • playswithsquirrels - November 9, 2011 10:49 a.m.

Why not just NextBox? :) Also, I agree with ultimatepunchrod. I'm not quite ready for this.
  • sleepyMexican45 - November 9, 2011 11:03 a.m.

"Nextbox"? Seriously? LOL. I think they should drop the xbox branding altogether, boosting sales through curiosity and novelty. That said, Xbox is a massively established name. I fucking hate the generic Playstation 1,2 & 3 names!!!
  • playswithsquirrels - November 9, 2011 1:13 p.m.

Lol. No, not seriously. That would be awful. I don't have much of a problem with Playstation 1, 2, & 3, but the idea of XBox720 is less than exciting. I'd be okay with dropping that branding as well, but that's probably more risk than they'll take. Regardless, I'm still too content with this gen to feel very compelled to buy expensive next gen stuff right now. Of course, given a couple of years that could all change.
  • Kuroken - November 9, 2011 10:41 a.m.

smaller and cheaper?! hmmmmm
  • ultimatepunchrod - November 9, 2011 10:21 a.m.

I'm not quite ready for a new generation. But at the same I wouldn't completely reject it.
  • FoxdenRacing - November 9, 2011 11:16 a.m.

If the analysts are right, we're looking at another year and a half to two...'not quite ready' is the time to start the run-up, as by the time it hits we will be. That said, I'm betting on a surprise winter '12 launch. Winter '13 is too soon to make Halo 5, and they'd be smart to have a name that big on hand as their killer app on launch day.