• reaper23 - November 12, 2012 3:42 a.m.

Ah Tom Magrino, finally found you.... Glad that you got yourself a job. Podcast without you isn't fun at all. I'm one of you fan from GS, since your here, i have a good reason to stick around and follow this awesome podcast from now on
  • Ledesh - November 8, 2012 7:11 p.m.

I know its not the scariest of the games but in Resident Evil 4 I had my favorite scary moment in any game and it was a totally random moment that just happened in game, no cutscene or pre-rendered video, just regular encounter. It was ether my third or fourth time though the game, on another new game+ because I just felt like rolling though the game quick while some friends watched in a dark room, the way the game is meant to be played. I had just gotten to the labs where the re-generators start to pop up. They are kinda freaky as is but I have a fully leveled Auto Sniper with the infrared scope to make them less then a challenge. On ether the second or third re-generator that came up, I ran to the far end of the short hall so I could line up my shot. I took out its limbs and took its head clean off. I walked up to hit it with the shotgun to get the last weak spot on its back. Because it has no head, arms and legs and was laying on the ground I didn't think much of it when... OH GOD IT JUMPED ON MY FACE AND IS NOMMING ME WITH THE LOWER BEHEADED PART OF ITS JAW!!!!!! OH GOD IS THAT ITS TONGUE FLOPING AROUND!?!?!?! HOW IS IT DOING THIS!?!?!?!?! KILL IT!!!! KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!! I threw it off me, shot it with everything I had and probably threw some grenades at its dead body. I paused into the case screen while everyone in the room hid under a blanket and I rearranged the items in the case, cause that's what I did in that game before, during and after stressful parts of that game to calm me down (The game made me OCD, and I had the best lookin case ever). I looked at it again before it despawned and it still had no limbs or head, how the hell could it jump onto my face and nom me with no face is beyond me, and still haunts my dreams to this day. So yes games have scared me.
  • the1PARiAH - November 8, 2012 3:39 p.m.

Wolfenstein 3D. A friend had it on a computer in his basement. I slept over and snuck downstairs to play it after everyone went to sleep. After getting through some levels I would get nervous and scared from the dogs and enemies spitting out phrases in a language I didn't understand. Even BJ's face scared me as I took tons of damage to reveal a defeated bloody mess of a face.
  • stridakira - November 8, 2012 3:37 p.m.

Resident Evil 2 scared me. Watched my friend play it back in 1998, and we were only 12 at the time. Had nightmares that I was trapped in a city filled with zombies. Got worse when I saw the Tyrant.
  • babyface - November 8, 2012 3:01 p.m.

The Toluca prison from Silent Hill 2 freaked me out alot when I was younger, even though you don't see many enemies you get a feeling that they are right around every corner.
  • ventanger - November 8, 2012 2:49 p.m.

I second Doom 3. There's point near the beginning of the game where you're inspecting a bathroom and you turn towards one of the mirrors. You know those parts in The Ring where the persons face is warped in this creepy hollow-eyed demon-face, well when you look in the bathroom mirror that's how your character looks for a split second, and I just lept back from my keyboard and had to take a break to recollect myself. I'm usually not one to fall for jump-scares, but that was a really unexpected twist.
  • ShareAndDie - November 8, 2012 2:46 p.m.

Oh yeah, I get totally freaked out if I play Silent Hill. Pretty much any of the Silent Hills before this generation. The first one is the most memorable because it was my first SH game, and the graphics and ambient soundtrack at the time freaked me out so much. The school especially, with crying babies and stuff. I literally couldn't sleep for a few days.
  • keklar - November 8, 2012 2:44 p.m.

Dead Space definitely made me jump a few times! I'm always bad with moments like that, especially in movies.
  • codystovall - November 7, 2012 9:33 p.m.

The game Ive been most scared of was a moment in harry potter 2 where your trying to avoid the attention of a shop keeper in diagon alley, said shop owner was very spooky and so were may elements in that game. As for intentionally scary games like dead space, resident evil or silent hill they dont scare. Oh and that moment in batman arkham asylum where you try to open a door an croc smashes up against it startled me.
  • JMarsella09 - November 6, 2012 2:45 p.m.

I was not scared by the dogs in Resident Evil, nor the scissorman killer in Clocktower. The frights of Pyramid head and the Kusabi in Fatal Frame 2 did little for me. Siren, Corpse Party, even the apparently losing my data in Eternal Darkness didn't frighten me, that one only really made me angry. No, What finally got me was Silent Hill 4. In your apartment, there is a peep hole connecting to your neighbor's bedroom. She being a hot game girl and me being an adolescent boy, well you can tell what I kept on checking. The whole time there was a stuffed rabbit sitting on the bed, staring at the far wall. About midway through the game, I returned and gazed into my hole. And it was turned around, staring at me, pointing at me. Yes, it did surprise me, but more so then that it creeped the crap out of me. For some reason I was deeply disturbed by the image and actually stopped playing. Worse, I refused to feed my pet rabbit for the next few days, not because I was afraid of my pet, but because I didn't want to be reminded of the image.
  • Blaze38 - November 5, 2012 7:19 p.m.

The first Dead Space. I remember I bought it because the second one was coming out so I felt like I should play the first one. It was a friday night when I popped in the disk and I was texting my friend about the game. He told me the best way to play it was with the lights off and alone.........Biggest mistake I could have ever made in that movement. It wasn't till the first part with the elevator I lost it. I was running the monsters down the hall and I made it to the elevator, the doors where closing as I was taking a drink and I thought I was safe. Then all of a sudden the door ripped open and not only did I spit take but I threw my controller across the the room and out the window. When I heard my mom's car alarm going off I remembered this will always be the first time a game has scared me.
  • Sinosaur - November 5, 2012 12:43 p.m.

I didn't actually have video game consoles as a kid, mostly just shareware games on PC, but I remember one summer I was at one of my grandparent's house and one of my older cousins had a Playstation and Resident Evil. I was 11 or 12 at the time, and I had never seen anything like this before, I wasn't allowed to watch rated R movies. So here I was in my grandparents' house (which had that feel all grandparents' homes have where it's already kind of creepy) and there were so many people there that I had to sleep in the basement, which wasn't especially well lit and here comes Resident Evil... Well, I made it right up to the point where the dog comes leaping in through the window before I made that sort of 'casual' retreat you make as a kid that involves looking freaked out and walking out of a room just a bit faster than when you really need to use the bathroom... and I had nowhere else to go but the basement where my imagination kept bringing up monsters coming out from behind all of the ancient boxes. ...Oh, and I will never be able to forget running home from a neighbor's house without telling anyone after watching Out of This World be played only as far as the cave where the worm things drop and kill you. I was jumping just as much as your avatar jumps in an MMO when you have to go a long distance and have a thumb of the space bar.
  • Padrino - November 5, 2012 6:29 a.m.

One of the first games I ever remember scaring the crap out of me was Jurassic Park for the SNES. While I recognize it now as a cheap and badly designed game (seriously, no password for game saving for a game that takes that long to play?) and I further recognize that the pixelated cardboard cutout dinosaurs look terrible, the indoor first person levels scared the bejeezus out of me. Sure, the Dilophosaurs we're scary they were just weird green blobs that spit at you. But the Velociraptors...holy shit. I turn a corner, and one is standing at the end of the hall way. I aim my rocket launcher to kill it, and another one I didn't see jumps at me, causes the screen flash red, and makes a terrifying sound. However, the worst was in the first or second indoor level, where there is a pitch black room and a warning that you need night vision goggles. If you don't heed the warning, you will be instantly attacked by a Velociraptor. It was a bit too much for 9-year-old me.
  • NOGIRLSIWANNAJETPACK - November 4, 2012 7:43 p.m.

that Lavender town music really unsettled me.
  • NuAngel - November 4, 2012 6:32 p.m.

I had a room mate in college who couldn't play Doom 3 at the age of 20. It was around this time of year, getting dark early - he wouldn't let himself play the game after 7PM. I remember the creepy blood-maze in Max Payne, with your crying baby in the background, bugging me - but not SCARING me. The only time I played a game that SCARED THE HELL out of me, was Condemned: Criminal Origins on the Xbox 360. I mediocre selling Launch title, I picked the game up early on in the lifespan of the 360. There is a scene in an abandoned shopping mall, where you hear slowed down Christmas music and the whole place is essentially empty. Then the lights go out. I was waiting to be attacked, when the lights came back. But suddenly I was surrounded by department store mannequins. I paused the game, stood up, and walked promptly out of the room for a solid five minutes. I was sufficiently FREAKED OUT.
  • Kurando - November 4, 2012 4:39 p.m.

The scariest moment I've had while playing a video game was the first Scarecrow encounter during Batman: Arkham Asylum. In specific, the moment when you enter the morgue and discover your parents are in the body bags on the table. During this time I was playing with the lights off with some of my friends watching me play. Already we were invested in the story, and our mouths were open when you turn back and discover you're in the same morgue. Best of all, the MOMENT when Scarecrow jumps out and jabs you with more serum one of my friends busted open my dorm room door to surprise us. I literally felt I had a heart attack, but best of all for you guys it's actually on video from my friends perspective (Skip to 1:45): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP1TMVkCVWI&list=FLEdLdCXE5LfEbghzjX93HhQ&index=174&feature=plpp_video
  • mrm2011 - November 4, 2012 6:03 a.m.

The first F.E.A.R. The persistent stalking from Alma and the general nature for enemies to show up when you least expected it amped up the scare factor for me. Also the games use of a health pack system created a tight air of tension as I would scurry around looking for a pack when I was low on health, hopeing I would find one before the next encounter.
  • julian-watkins - November 3, 2012 9:44 p.m.

The Librarian level of Metro 2033. I have never been more frightened while playing a game. The pacing was intense, running from hole to hole, its arms reaching for you. The noise it made and its movements in general were just so intimidating. That plus not knowing the first time I played it that you could actually kill the beast, I damn near had a heart attack while playing that level. My runner up would be the original PSP Silent Hill. It was the first time I had played a survival horror game with headphones in the dark. That was some shit. The level with the stage in what I believe was a theatre, I just couldn't handle it.
  • ultimatepunchrod - November 3, 2012 6:25 p.m.

The first Aliens Vs. Predator FPS by Rebellion on PC scared the ever-loving crap out of me. The game wasn't particularly well designed. It was a fun, competent shooter, but nothing too special. However, when you played as the space marine, it got pretty intense. You'd be walking down a dark corridor to your next objective while the creepy pulse radar was blipping away. Then you'd see a dot on the radar. Then maybe 2 or three and then you'd be in the thick of a ton of Aliens. But even worse than that was not seeing them on the radar at all and just turning around to see one right behind you. But the absolute worst was knowing that a Predator was in the level with you. Aliens were scary, but mindless and once you got over the jump scare, they were pretty easy to kill. Predators, on the other hand, would hunt, stalk, and terrorize you (albeit in a scripted way), and they were smarter and more well equipped than you were. Not cool. The sequel was a better game, but they lost the scares by adding musical cues whenever an alien would come out which actually lessened the scare factor by giving you something to listen for rather than you needing to watch your back.
  • darkrider105 - November 3, 2012 2:11 p.m.

I have been scared plenty by Resident Evil 0 on the Gamecube but I have been more scared while playing an hour of Amnesia. My heart was racing the whole time to the point that I thought I might die of a heart attack... that may be because of the scare factor or that I am extremely unhealthy. Either way it's still scary. And I'm one of the listeners that care about soccer Sterling, good luck in the future