• MeanwhileGuy - April 12, 2013 2:32 a.m.

Maybe it's just one of those games that you need to refresh yourself on occasionally. I mean, the last time I played it, I completely forgot about the camera lock button and the dodge slash move. To be brutally honest, sometimes after playing something like Killzone, which uses the L2 and R2 buttons, and switch to, say, Mass Effect, I'll inevitably screw up and mix up which button is fire. But to defend GR and gamers in general for a second, the game did present a new, more reflex-based, tactical way of playing a hack n'slash, which does take some getting used to. Though admittedly, the game explains things very poorly when it comes to essential tricks like equipping health packs, the dodge slash and even the parry system. Thankfully, after a while playing it, the whole system clicks and you think "Ah, right, THAT'S how to play it." After which you feel like an utter badass.
  • DICEs - April 11, 2013 4:16 p.m.

I do love RadarPlays. My only wish is that they could be longer and more frequent. Thank you for the many hours of enjoyment.
  • winner2 - April 11, 2013 4:41 a.m.

The people at GR must have wills of iron because the amount of venom spewed by these watermelon cutting sim heros is incredible. Stay strong GR, eventually the whiners will die too someday
  • BladedFalcon - April 11, 2013 7:17 a.m.

It's not really venom... specially when they themselves provoked it, at least Henry did. Watch the video, and they complain how the parry system sucks, and the camera sucks, and basically how it's the game's fault that they are being pummeled, when anyone that has played the game knows that it was actually their fault. I mean, sure you've been me around here often enough, I don't really tend to attack people just because, if I do, it's usually because they said or did something to provoke it. And note, I love these guys, I pay a lot of attention to what Ryan Taljionick says, and Cooper is always fun to listen to, but that doesn't mean they are impervious of mistakes.
  • winner2 - April 11, 2013 8:55 a.m.

I watched before commenting, and I can see why you'd think what you think, but I still think it's uncalled for. Sounds venomous to me, like y'all are taking it too seriously. They did not mean to provoke anyone, those are just their opinions they're giving. I get that this has to be one of your all time favorites but still, I don't see why a game should be "defended" that way when its just a question of a certain mechanic. And I put that in quotes because I see the whole interaction to be incredulous.
  • BladedFalcon - April 11, 2013 9:39 a.m.

The thing is that it's not just stated as an opinion, one of the criticism in the game's actual review was the the parrying system didn't work right, which is absolutely false. I'm sorry if I sound venomous, I really don't mean to be, but I can't help get mad if people bash a game if it's clear they just suck at it, or don't know what they are doing. It's like someone going out and saying that Mario's jumping mechanic sucks just because they don't know how to time their jumps right.
  • winner2 - April 11, 2013 10:10 a.m.

You could say the mechanic is flawed if the criteria for its working correctly are very narrow and unforgiving to the point that it takes a lot of honing to make it application viable. When it works we tend not to call it flawed because we're happy with it, but if its difficult to master, people can still make the argument that it has its flaws regardless of the fact that you can say it just takes practice like anything else. The Mario example is good, and made me think of Souls. The hitbox ranges and timing in those games are important to master to make progress, yes, but people can still make the argument that they are flawed because from the player's viewpoint it's actually difficult for us to comprehend those depths/ reaches/etc. But oh well, sometimes opinions are irreconcilable I suppose. Thanks for your insight.
  • BladedFalcon - April 11, 2013 10:44 a.m.

"The hitbox ranges and timing in those games are important to master to make progress, yes, but people can still make the argument that they are flawed because from the player's viewpoint it's actually difficult for us to comprehend those depths/ reaches/etc. " But then, you're saying it yourself: The problem is with the player itself, it's them who fail to properly understand or comprehend a mechanic, not that the mechanic is inherently bad or flawed. For example, i would fully admit that the parrying system would be flawed if it didn't recognize the input, or if the window of parrying was so narrow that only having milliseconds off would make it not work. But in reality, you can successfully parry something for almost more than a second before it hits, And you can continuously parry a flurry of 5-6 attacks just by mashing the attack button forward while the attack is going on, there's no real timing required there, again, you just need to adjust yourself to it. further proof that the parrying is actually lenient? there is such a thing in the game called "perfect parry" or a "counter" in which if you perform the parry at EXACTLY the moment the attack would hit, raiden will not only parry, but counter with a strike that if it connects, will leave almost all enemies vulnerable, including the tougher ones such as geckos or mastiffs. now THAT one is very hard to pull off, and requires a lot of practice, and is almost a must if you play in the hardest difficulty. If the window to parry was as strict, I could understand the criticism, as it it is though, i really don't. Also, i should note that I actually have a terrible hand to eye coordination, and my reflexes aren't the best, so much so that I suck at pretty much every known sport. so if I was able to beat this game without being hit, so should a normal person if they just put enough effort into it.
  • winner2 - April 11, 2013 11:04 a.m.

" but if its difficult to master, people can still make the argument that it has its flaws regardless of the fact that you can say it just takes practice like anything else" - me I already said what you pointed out, before I said the sentence you quoted me on. I'm saying that the argument that a mechanic is flawed can be made in any case, regardless of the properties of the mechanic. Anyways to avoid getting sidetracked, my original argument is/was that, IMO, you can't be reasonable in jumping their case if they think the mechanic is flawed, and that you could be less rude about it. In a way, it is flawed, and harassing them seems like a very ungrateful thing to do in this case. Even if you're just a naturally argumentative person, which I can't and won't blame you for, you came across in a bad way.
  • BladedFalcon - April 11, 2013 11:21 a.m.

I admit I did come across in a bad way, I tend to do that sometimes. But then again, if you watched the video, you heard henry's words, and i quote: "Yeah see! the parry system sucks! I've heard people say "no the parry system doesn't suck, YOU suck" " And that last part said in a very mocking tone, excuse, but isn't that being rude and condescending to your audience as well? If they simply said "it's too hard for me" or even "i don't get it" I'd never taken an issue in the first place. But if you're gonna go ahead and say things like that, I'm sorry, but i do feel I have every right to call you out on what I feel is being said wrong. Again, I acknowledge that I could have gone about it in a less hostile way though, and i do apologize about it. But this is the first time that Henry has come out and said things in such an attitude, and I don't see why I should suffer that and not say anything about it.
  • GR HollanderCooper - April 11, 2013 3:38 p.m.

The parry system sucks.
  • DICEs - April 11, 2013 3:52 p.m.

I don't think it sucks. At the beginning of the game I was wishing there was a dodge button but I grew to appreciate it. It works much better in 1-on-1 encounters than groups as it can be difficult to see the direction of incoming attacks. It can also be quite infuriating at times when you attack instead of parrying. My biggest gripe though is with the unblockable attacks enemies perform (indicated by yellow instead of red), with bosses it is really annoying (especially Jetstream Sam) It fits in with the style of the game though. Plus when I pull off a string of perfect parries It makes me feel like a total badass. It's nothing like I've seen before so i like that Platinum tried something different from the usual tap a designated button to dodge/parry all attacks.
  • BladedFalcon - April 11, 2013 4:21 p.m.

Lol, nice try Coop :P
  • IAmARobotWhoTurnsIntoATruckAnd - April 11, 2013 4:35 p.m.

Fuck off
  • DICEs - April 12, 2013 6:51 a.m.

Now now. No need for expletives. We can keep this civilised. I like to think we are a highly sophisticated part of the internet here at GR.
  • IAmARobotWhoTurnsIntoATruckAnd - April 11, 2013 4:02 a.m.

Also, do they not know about the dodge move? Have they even played the game? How bad can someone really be?
  • IAmARobotWhoTurnsIntoATruckAnd - April 11, 2013 3:53 a.m.

It seems people are surprised they're having a hard time using the parry system. I though everyone already knew that most games journalist are absolute shit at games that are even slightly difficult.
  • Lurkero - April 10, 2013 9:23 p.m.

The parry system is more challenging than usual, but for me it felt like they did it to prevent the player from focusing too much on mashing buttons and instead paying attention to enemy movements. By forcing the player to be offensively defensive the parry system keeps up the fast pace, but adds a little depth. Of course this is conjecture and maybe Platinum just wanted it to be difficult.
  • Talvari - April 10, 2013 8:19 p.m.

Hmm, always kinda wanted to pick this up but no way was i paying full retail price for it >.> Maybe i'll pick it up soon to fill a small gap in my heart of platinum games until Bayo 2 comes out. Still don't like the look of MGR:R having no dodge but the parrying system looks okay i guess. DLC looks cool though, playing as Sam and stuff ;o
  • BladedFalcon - April 10, 2013 5:52 p.m.

Henry: You DO suck if you think the parry system sucks. It's not the game's problem that you guys didn't know how to properly use it. Also, proof that I'm not just talking smack? I platinumed the game, and that requires, among other things, to beat every single boss battle on hard or above without being hit ONCE, and beating the entire game on revengeance mode scoring S in every single battle. You can't get those trophies without parrying pretty much everything, and I was able to do it, in about 3 weeks or less. And also, I should note that while the assets of the stage do look similar, it's not quite a recycled level from the main campaign, the layout is completely changed.