Topics

Sales

• d21lewis - January 16, 2013 5:12 a.m.

Even if Sony overtakes Xbox in sales, I think we can all agree that the PS3 has been a financial disaster for Sony. It will be a bittersweet victory.
  • Divine Paladin - January 23, 2013 3:04 p.m.

The PS3 itself WAS a financial disaster for the first two years, as was the PS2 for the first year or so, but software sales have pretty easily overcome the majority of any losses they may have accumulated due to the launch. However, if you're insinuating what I think you are (that Sony's financial problems over the past few years are directly attributed to the PS3), I have to disagree, because the gaming side of the company is one of the two things keeping them afloat (next to Sony Music). They've only really lost money due to their stubbornness in the TV market, where they've consistently failed miserably. The gaming section has, IIRC, come out with a net profit every year except for 2007 (I believe they didn't lose money in '06 because the PS2 was still pretty much the hottest thing around, barring maybe the Wii).
  • haxxoromg - January 13, 2013 11:31 a.m.

near when both consoles launched, i would say the 360 was the better option what with it running similar tech, still being something like $200 cheaper, and having a much larger library of games with a bunch of well established exclusive franchises. now, tho, its no surprise the ps3 is selling more since the console is much more affordable now and theyve acquired a lot more exclusive ip's. plus its more powerful and has a blu ray player shoved into it thats pretty neat. if the next gen wasnt coming out so soon id wanna nab me a ps3
  • michaelkaramas - January 12, 2013 8:35 p.m.

Microsoft needs to start trusting their developers to make new IP's. They took no risks this gen; perhaps with the exception of the Kinect. They seamed to ride out the strength of Live and the multiplayer aspect of the system. Sony's new IP's for this gen included 3 Uncharted games, 3 littlebigplanet's, 3 resistance's, 3 motorstorm's , 2 infamous' ,and then a bunch of one-offs like heavenly sword, heavy rain, and demon's souls. Those were just the new IP exclusives. There were then sequels to older games like MGS4, God of war 3 and Ascenscion, GT5, Sly Cooper 4, Ratchet and clank future 2 games , Killzone 2 games, and then all the HD collections(best original idea). + they had great Downloadable games like Journey. Not all of the PS3's games are great, but there was variety in that it has something for everyone. I own the big 4 on my 360 : Halo, Gears, Forza, Fable. It had it's bases covered : FPS, Third-person shooter, racing, and RPG. But besides Gears there wasn't a must own new IP from Microsoft this gen. They need to put more money in buying developers. Then take risks with the ideas that come from them.
  • Redeater - January 11, 2013 3:18 p.m.

Am I the only one who is happy that all 3 consoles have been a success? Sony is my least favorite (although MS has been really bothering me since they have been trying to be everything but a gaming console). I'm just glad we didn't get any Dreamcasts this generation and hope that these three will continue to thrive into the next gen.
  • Divine Paladin - January 23, 2013 3:08 p.m.

I think you'll be disappointed during the coming generation, then, considering all three consoles have shown an interest in being media devices and not gaming-first (at least going by what Nintendo has done with the WiiU so far and the other two near the end of this gen). It's simply an easier way to make a profit for them, so even though I'm not a fan of it, I've gotta give them my blessing, so long as they keep games as a main facet of the GAME consoles (Microsoft, I'm lookin' at you).
  • derek722001 - January 11, 2013 2:10 p.m.

SO WHAT!!!!!!
  • FoxdenRacing - January 11, 2013 11:46 a.m.

I don't know how much I trust a report that they won't even let you see without paying $4500...I smell an attempt to drum up sales. If it wins, it wins, so be it; both companies have seriously dropped the ball at multiple points this generation, my hope for PS4 is bolstered by Hirai at the helm, and my respect for the decision-makers at Xbox is in a tailspin. As much as I enjoy Forza, I might just end up buying a Wii U and only a Wii U next generation if both companies continue their rampant stupidity.
  • brickman409 - January 10, 2013 8:57 p.m.

brace yourselves, the fanboys are coming.
  • TheDudeFromNowhere - January 10, 2013 5:39 p.m.

This is shipment though, not sales. Happy for the PS brand though.
  • Wiztroll - January 10, 2013 5:17 p.m.

Good, Playstation is the superior console in almost every way.
  • shawksta - January 10, 2013 9:45 a.m.

It's global right? Damn, that's great. In specific terms, the 3DS surpassed the PS3'a lifetime sales in Japan, it's much more popular there and Damn again.
  • MyCoolWhiteLies - January 10, 2013 8:49 a.m.

It will be really interesting if the PS3 eventually surpasses the Xbox in terms of total consoles sold, in the end. However, if we're going by software sold (which is where they really make their money) then I'm pretty sure the 360 wins this generation hands down. Even beating the Wii.
  • ultimatepunchrod - January 10, 2013 9:03 a.m.

Don't underestimate grandma gamers and shovelware.
  • BottleBank - January 10, 2013 7:19 a.m.

I own both, and love both but massively prefer my 360. Friendlier interface and best pad in history.
  • jeremynovak - January 10, 2013 7:47 a.m.

I second that. Love the 360 gamepad and UI.
  • ultimatepunchrod - January 10, 2013 9:04 a.m.

I still really love and prefer the Dualshock feel. The UI on both is needlessly complicated, but I've had more experience and practice with the XMB, so I like that one more.
  • Pwnage19 - January 10, 2013 9:50 a.m.

The controller is not the best. Concave thumbsticks are inferior to convex. The d-pad is not as good as the PS3s. Personally, I think that both thumbsticks should be next to each other as well. It feels awkward.
  • KingMiedus - January 10, 2013 10:31 a.m.

I always found my fingers slipping off the PS2 thumbsticks, so I always hated it then. I hate it still on my PS3 and it is incredibly cramped with them both in the middle. I also have actually hurt my hand after playing PS3 for too long, it cramped up from the default holding position being awkward and not ergonomic. And I've definitely played Xbox for longer periods and never had it happen. I'll definitely give you the d-pad though, the Xbox one has always sucked.
  • KingMiedus - January 10, 2013 10:35 a.m.

And note, I don't expect the cramping up of my hand to have happened to anyone else. It was ridiculous really, but it definitely happen. I also prefer the trigger placement on Xbox. As far as interface goes, the PS3 is very bare, and I'd say dark. It isn't hard to find things, just things don't pop out as much as on Xbox. Especially the friends list.