• Amatarasu - January 26, 2011 6:38 a.m.

i'd blame complete lack of marketing i saw a preview for it on X-play, a month before release, and i was really exited for it, and i still missed it for a month before i started reading how it was the best game ever on 100 different sites my exact reaction was "Wait. that's out?! TO GAMESTOP"
  • CandiedJester - January 25, 2011 9:48 p.m.

I am still in the process of playing Okami. Sadly bought it used too, but I love the heck out of this game, and there is absolutely no reason anyone should say anything bad about it. It's a shame it didn't sell as well as it should have. People must have been uninformed. I am most definitely buying Okamiden, for sure. But I am going to wait until the 3ds comes out, I don't have a ds now. I agree with everyone who said "Bad timing? Then why are you releasing the game at the end of the life of the non-3ds?" It doesn't make much sense. It's pretty obvious that the excitement about the 3ds is going to far overshadow the release of this little game. Especially since not as many people even played the first one, or know what it is.
  • bass88 - January 25, 2011 8:39 p.m.

@Whoissheandwhydidshesayit Thanks for the reply. I bought it when it came out on PS2 because of the reviews. I also bought Planescape: Torment recently because of the rave reviews. However, looking back on the reviews all they praised was the writing. There wasn't much discussion on the gameplay. I also found the same with Okami's reviews (praise for the writing and art style and not much regarding gameplay) so I have been somewhat reluctant to play. I'll get to it as soon as I finish Clive Barker's Undying and Grim Fandango.
  • rabidpotatochip - January 25, 2011 1:39 p.m.

It was bad timing and a lack of good marketing. From personal experience, I remember staring at a copy on the shelf at my local game store thinking "ooh, pretty..." but there really wasn't much else screaming "go buy this game", until GR came along anyway. So yeah, I'm late to the Okami-love party but it's still a blast and I rave about it to others now.
  • Mortis - January 25, 2011 5:09 a.m.

proud to say i bought this game brand new and have stuck by it ever since.this game and FF-XII were the only two PS2 games i completed 100%....i just finished playing through it again a few months ago for the 4th time. An amazing game and the most under appreciated. It broke my heart when i learned that Clover was shutting down after releasing this true gaming gem.
  • garnsr - January 25, 2011 3:39 a.m.

What else was out when Okami launched? I waited a long time for it to come out, and loved it for the decent amount of time it took to finish.
  • Whoissheandwhydidshesayit - January 25, 2011 2:05 a.m.

@bass88 Personally I loved Okami. Bought it for wii. The combos on wii can be hard to put together due to the waggle, but the rest of the game controls amazingly and aside from having a beautiful story and stunning graphics, the gameplay is pretty fun too.
  • gazer89 - January 25, 2011 2:02 a.m.

Better than Twilight Princess. For sure. From a diehard Zelda fan.
  • darkraichu34 - January 24, 2011 11:07 p.m.

I am playing through Okami right now, and i have to say it is the best game i have ever played. It's a shame i had to buy it used.
  • Dusty06 - January 24, 2011 10:34 p.m.

They can't criticise bad timing what with the release of Okamiden just asking to be overshadowed by the 3DS games. I'm just glad im one of the handful of people aware of its existence and will buy it.
  • Robusken - January 24, 2011 10:33 p.m.

@Channel4-Barley noticed that right now. I think that exact same thing happened with Loz Minish Cap. I like Okami myself but I never bothered to buy it, so I'm only adding to the problem it seems.
  • bass88 - January 24, 2011 10:28 p.m.

I actually bought Okami new and never played it. It was during college. It's still on my shelf waiting to be played. I recently spent 50 hours playing Planescape: Torment. I found it to be beautifully written but suffering from astonishingly boring gameplay. It was a chore playing that game. I only kept playing because I genuinely cared about the characters and wanted to know what happened. This isn't going to be the case with Okami, right?
  • mockraven - January 24, 2011 10:05 p.m.

I've got Okamiden pre-ordered, at least. I really liked the original Okami and was excited to hear another would would be released on the DS.
  • NESman - January 24, 2011 10:04 p.m.

For shame I did not buy the game new and could only find it used. I'm thinking of Okamiden as a launch game for the 3DS I preordered.
  • FOZ - January 24, 2011 8:16 p.m.

What? A broader audience? It's about 2 years too late to be expecting big sales out of a DS game, isn't it? The original DS is past its prime and everyone is hyped about the 3DS, how is that not bad timing either?
  • peon36 - January 24, 2011 8:14 p.m.

Combine timing with the fact that it came out only for the Wii and PS2. My Ps2 had already been traded in by the time Okami came out.
  • Darkhawk - January 24, 2011 8:11 p.m.

You're not a snob if you misspell "connoisseurs."
  • Channel4 - January 24, 2011 7:33 p.m.

Bad timing? The 3DS is out at pretty much the same time as Okamiden.
  • DecoyOctorok - January 24, 2011 7:23 p.m.

Okami is just one of those games that appeals to a niche audience. Much like Enslaved: Odyssey to the West was 2010's Beyond Good & Evil. I'll also have to agree with usedforglue. The characters in Okami did have a habit of going on and on during cutscenes.
  • Redeater - January 24, 2011 7:21 p.m.

my only problem with this game was the size. Way too big for me to dedicate that much time!