Topics

Valve

• Xtapolapopotamus - May 12, 2011 3:40 a.m.

Great list! I missed out on quite a few of these. The Caroline/Chell stuff is great, and I really think they did a great job expanding on GLaDOS as a character. Also, Nolan North voicing the defective turrets and cores was amazing. The guy deserves far more money and recognition than he gets.
  • ThatGuyFromTV - May 12, 2011 3:32 a.m.

The "Caroline means free man" thing has got me thinking, since Cave and Caroline had a kid (who was Chell) and when they had a kid it was a while back, like maybe 1960's to the 1980's... and Gordon Freeman also got pulled into science as a theoretical physicist at Black Mesa who accidentally sparked the potential end of humanity, and also got pulled into the future about 20 years or so if i remember correctly... what if Gordon Freeman also wound up being Cave and Caroline's child? What if he's Chell's brother??
  • GamesRadarCharlieBarratt - May 12, 2011 3:31 a.m.

@aegodbold You're forgetting that Chell was adopted. Both GLaDOS and Wheatley mention this multiple times - yes, they lie about stuff like her weight, but the orphan thing is brought up way too many times to be completely fabricated. I can't explain the gap of time between Cave dying (presumably in the late '70s) and "Bring Your Daughter to Work Day" (2000-2009), but I bet with a bit more information, Valve could. Chell might have been conceived after Cave's death (a man who would try to upload his brain to a computer so he could live forever would almost certainly leave behind some frozen chromosomes) or Chell might have been held in stasis for awhile (she didn't age at all during her 999,999,999 days in the hotel room). The Reddit thread I linked to contains a ton more theories on how Cave could be Chell's father, but I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed if he wasn't. It's the Caroline-Chell relationship that I really want to be true.
  • DarkSynopsis - May 12, 2011 3:08 a.m.

Knew most of these just about to check out the Turret song translated but Nolan North is just awesome! Just listened to the Space Orb did not hear most of these playing the game kept a smile on my face the whole 3mins 49 seconds the sound clip lasts! ON TO THE OTHER ORBS!
  • BoltActionRevolver - May 12, 2011 3:06 a.m.

My mind is blown apart... then some how you blew it apart again and a gain. It happen at least once a page. Curse you Valve! Curse you with my LOVE!
  • awsomemaster - May 12, 2011 2:58 a.m.

- Combined might of internets is terrifying truer words were never spoken
  • JayBeat - May 12, 2011 2:57 a.m.

Such an interesting read.
  • aegodbold - May 12, 2011 2:37 a.m.

Chell can’t be Cave Johnson and Caroline’s daughter. Here’s why: Since Caroline was in GLaDOS, that means Cave Johnson had to have died before Caroline. This is based on his request to put her in the computer, if he could not be. Caroline, to be in GLaDOS, had to also be dead by “Bring your daughter to work day.” Since GLaDOS released the neurotoxin on this day. Chell was someone’s daughter on “Bring your daughter to work day.” To bring your daughter to work, you need to be alive (not dead and in GLaDOS). It is determined that Chell was brought to “Bring your daughter to work day” by the potato experiment. Plus, “Bring you daughter to work day” was suggested as being many decades after the Cave Johnson reign, by the various dates in the game. He could not father a child young enough to make the potato experiment if he had been dead that long.
  • FunnyNameHere - May 12, 2011 2:12 a.m.

Now I have to so see all of this for myself.
  • vintagetech - May 12, 2011 2:12 a.m.

One of my favorite articles
  • batman5273 - May 12, 2011 2:11 a.m.

Wow, what a complete mind blow! Valve is truly a brilliant company!
  • Pocotron - May 12, 2011 1:47 a.m.

What if, ok you with me guys? What if, in Team Fortress 2, Red v. Blu is Black Mesa v. Aperture?! I wouldn't think so, given the comics...
  • zer0hvk - May 12, 2011 1:42 a.m.

Awesome stuff, very in-depth, you guys make the coolest articles. Thanks Charlie!
  • EnragedTortoise1 - May 12, 2011 1:39 a.m.

Thanks to my obsession with the game, I knew about almost all of these (except the co-op cake recipe). Valve is the best company in the history of the games industry.
  • TheWhiteLight - May 12, 2011 1:19 a.m.

Great list you guys. I had definitely seen some of these in the game, and in my own research, but this has many that I had never heard of. The Prometheus allusions are particularly cool.
  • masterpanos - May 12, 2011 1:19 a.m.

Actually you might have missed one easter egg.I say ''might'' because I dont know if its an actual easter egg and because it can be found very easy.You have mentioned Weatley's advice to freedom in the pit chamber.Well before you reach "the part where he kills you" Weatley gives you an other adivce. *SPOILERS* He advices her to get mashed by a masher because if she die that way not only she will have a "painless" death than the death Weatley has planned to give her, but also she will teach him a good lesson.Talking about a very funny speech
  • profile0000 - May 12, 2011 1:06 a.m.

Very well done and a fun read. I found a few on my first playthrough, but most of them I completely missed. Looking forward to booting up Portal 2 and finding these. Thanks GR! And thanks to Valve for an amazing game!
  • D0CCON - May 12, 2011 1:06 a.m.

I stumbled across the Greek mythology thing less than 24 hours after beating the single player. It's amazing how much of that stuff lines up. I'm also impressed that I found most of these. If you exclude a couple Rat Man locations and anything that requires decoding (I don't have that software and this doesn't make me want it), I found pretty much all of this.
  • kyle94 - May 12, 2011 1:05 a.m.

Holy crap my mind is blown!
  • WiLdFiRe567 - May 12, 2011 12:53 a.m.

If caroline is Chell's mom then the turret song makes a ton more sense. "My little girl." Come on who says that other than mothers.