Topics

Valve

• caseye - May 21, 2011 6:26 a.m.

It seems you missed a fat turret in one of the elevators when your testing with GLaDOS. I caught a glimpse of it as the elevator was going up. I can't remember which test it was in though. Thanks for the awesome easter egg list!
  • ChucklesMO - May 17, 2011 9:58 p.m.

These are so great and I will be playing through the game again to get the rest of the trophies and will watch out for this stuff. Now I just wish I had Portal 1 on PSN w/ Trophy support. Vote up this idea on the Playstation Blog and maybe Sony will talk to Valve for us. http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2010/06/21/portal-on-the-playstation-store-w-trophy-support/
  • aegodbold - May 17, 2011 9:08 p.m.

I can totally get on board with her being Caroline's daughter and adopted by a group of scientists that worked at Aperture, though.
  • aegodbold - May 17, 2011 8:46 p.m.

I dunno...as much as I want to believe Chell is Caroline and Cave's daughter, her being adopted doesn't explain why she would be a small child approximately 30 years after Cave's death... However, one other thing that could add to the theory, is that the meaning of "Chell" is daughter. http://www.biblical-baby-names.com/meaning-of-chell.html The only reason I know this is I am having a little girl later this year and plan on making "Chell" her middle name :D
  • will-jackson - August 7, 2012 8:47 p.m.

maybe Chell was put in Cryo Preservation at some point to keep her young.
  • sebastian-nawara - January 10, 2013 2:11 p.m.

Guys, Cave's voice is still present in 70's part of shaft, and most subjects from relaxation vault should be unpacked in 1996. So we can assume that BYDTW day wasn't before 96. It should be even earlier. Timeline is correct.
  • Tsukikage2 - May 17, 2011 6:44 p.m.

Forget my previous message, found it :)
  • Tsukikage2 - May 17, 2011 6:13 p.m.

Anyone knows where I can find a program to decrypt those sound from the radio?
  • waitingforCharlietosnap - May 16, 2011 11:14 p.m.

Where does that screen grab of Chell in the Portrait of a Lady (sadly, like, the only easter egg I found on my own) come from? Just curious, since you never see her face in the game.
  • Chiefslapaho - May 16, 2011 1:59 p.m.

I had no idea there was so much stuff i missed.
  • penguinMafia - May 15, 2011 8:50 p.m.

Excellent article Charlie! I'm pretty thorough when it comes to exploring games and even I missed a few of these. Thanks a million for pointing them out!
  • Smeggs - May 15, 2011 5:38 p.m.

Edit: sorry, meant the cube from Portal 1, because it was burnt from the incinerator.
  • Smeggs - May 15, 2011 5:35 p.m.

In the room RIGHT AFTER the four turrets all start singing at the end, NOT THE ROOM WHERE THE TURRET CHOIR IS WITH THE FRANKENCUBE IN THE BACKGROUND, but the room right after the four turrets all aim at you in the elevator, you can catch a glimpse of RatMan sprinting passed behind a window carrying the companion cube on his back. It is a companion cube, you can see the pink light decal on it, and if you look closely you can make out his legs, and his lab coat. Most people claim he is dead, or that it might just be a cube in one of those pipes, but considering he could have just gotten into one of those hibernation chambers like Chell, and that the exact companion cube from Portal 2 gets thrown up to you, you can see the pink heart decal, and even the fact that the turrets were singing in the first place, points to RatMan.
  • SirMcMuffintosh - May 15, 2011 3:59 a.m.

In the second Rat Man den, you see the file with papers flying out. Look at the numbers--- http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/File:Ratman_thenational_02.png ----That made me wonder... Why those numbers? So, I decided to look around, and found this--- http://www.thinkwithportals.com/comic/#11 ---I don't think anyone else has noticed this... Creepy ALL HAIL INGLIP!
  • claytonmiller - May 14, 2011 9:18 p.m.

I don't think anyone mentioned this (maybe they did and I overlooked it), but early in the game, GLaDOS says that she found two other people in the database with the same last name as Chell. She doesn't say if the last name is Johnson. However, it may very well be Cave and Coraline Johnson (if all the other stuff is to be believed).
  • lovinmyps3 - May 14, 2011 1:07 a.m.

I love the turret opera. It made me tear up a little bit. =')
  • SexyJosh - May 13, 2011 3:19 p.m.

Spectacular article. You've got me playing through yet again.
  • Rizzo - May 13, 2011 7:37 a.m.

I swear I saw the headcrab. Maybe it only happens under certain circumstances??
  • EDfromRED - May 13, 2011 6:47 a.m.

Fantastic article! A lot of details covered I might never have noticed. The personality sphere audio was a particular favorite. It's amazing how much insightful information Valve hides in their games.
  • inconceivable - May 13, 2011 6:12 a.m.

Okay, I may have teared up when I listened to the turret song. Great article; I missed most of these. Now I have an excuse to play through again. (Not that I needed one).