Topics

Pokemon

• Pruman - January 17, 2013 6:53 a.m.

I generally pick the cutest one, which means I've ended up with Bulbasaur, Chikorita, Torchic, and Piplup. I went against that tradition with B/W and picked Snivy, because I thought he was awesome. You can also pick based on how hard you want the game to be. Fire starters generally have an easy time until the last 2 or 3 gyms, Water starters make the game about average difficulty, and picking a Grass starter is like choosing Hard Mode.
  • shawksta - January 17, 2013 8:37 p.m.

Haha, try telling THAT to charmander, the poor thing.
  • JarkayColt - January 17, 2013 3:04 a.m.

To be honest, this was rather pointless, as there currently isn't much more to know besides what they look like. And everyone knows that looks aren't everything. Also I had no idea why people were so eager to conclude they were dual type; using differently typed moves means NOTHING AT ALL. The proposed typings would also make them too similar to ones that previously exist for my taste (Shiftry, Victini & Poliwrath say hi.) I like the idea of Fennekin eventually being Fire/Ground instead, for example. In the next games I also decided I would try going starter-less for once (mostly because I can never choose! XD) I disagree with III and IV having the worst starters though. It's COMPLETELY the other way around. IMO, it goes II < I < V < IV < III But again, just my opinion. Gen II starters always felt bland as hell to me. Gen IV starters definitely had some of the best design inspirations AND types (also Infernape is amazing), whereas the Gen III Pokémon are hands down the best in battle, absolutely no question. Where gen I and V come on the scale is a bit of a toss-up, but to be honest I like how the V trio are based on three different cultures. And also aren't all reptiles. :/
  • shawksta - January 16, 2013 9:47 p.m.

Chespin just looks awesome, a hedghog and a chestnut huh? Maybe something similar to sandslash? Im guessing by the spines. Froakie's "bubbles" or whatever they are, intersting aswell. Im hoping he can break the mold of every Water Starter being Bulky. Fennekin's fox form looks cute, dont matter. Frankly, Gen 4 design's type wise, was superior, save for Infernape's typing. I keep seeing backlash on chespin not only because he's not a Reptile but because he has, how you say "That Face", well too bad, i love him and he's mine and cant wait
  • rainn'sgaydar - January 16, 2013 9:13 p.m.

I'll have to see the later evolutions too, although pulling me away from my water roots will be difficult. Gen III was the only time I went non-water. I ultimately care about final evolution though, which is why I took Oshawott in BW.
  • Hobbitking17 - January 16, 2013 7:33 p.m.

Gen I: I only had yellow so it wasn't hard to pick a starter Gen II: Chikorita because my brother and his friend picked the other two Gen III: Treeko cause it was a cool looking lizard Gen IV: Chimchar because it was a fire type Gen V: I looked at the final evolutions to decide so my choice was Oshawott, because I couldn't say no to a Samurai Gen VI: Like Gen V I'm going to look at the final evolutions but at the moment it's going to be Fennekin
  • SurrealBrouhaha - January 16, 2013 4:06 p.m.

Initially, I like the looks of Froakie the best. I don't know, something about his big dumb eyes I guess... Anyways, I wouldn't hold out hope on that Fire/Psychic typing... After all, Ninetails and Vulpix could learn a few ghost moves, yet they were pure fire types.
  • C.King - January 16, 2013 3:28 p.m.

i think a factor to consider is HMs always went with chamander in gen one since i could give his final evolution fly, usually water for the other gens for surf, and gen v went with serperior cause he's such a boss! hahaha always looks down on his opponent too bad his attack stats were a little low to mow down enemies
  • masterjoe123 - January 16, 2013 3:16 p.m.

What's with the other category on the poll? Also, I'm leaning towards Chespin, but the evolutions could still change my mind.
  • D0CCON - January 16, 2013 2:30 p.m.

I always start with the water type on whichever of the two versions I end up getting (at this point, I'm guessing X) and then I get the fire type for the third Pokemon game that tends to come out one year later. I'm expecting that to remain the same with this.
  • Doctalen - January 16, 2013 1:55 p.m.

I'm leaning towards Fennekin in hopes of a fire/psychic. If Fennekin turns into yet another fire/fighting I'll have to go with Froakie
  • BladedFalcon - January 16, 2013 1:38 p.m.

Hrm... shame if it turns out they don't have secondary types after all. I was starting to get excited at the idea of having a Fire/Psychic pokemon :/ Anyway, as made obvious from the above comment, I'm heavily leaning towards fennekin, it just looks like the cooler one between him and Froakie. Only thing that might change my mind if it it's final evolution looks fugly, but it seems unlikely.
  • gmcb2011 - January 16, 2013 4 p.m.

While the starters might not have secondary types right off the bat, I'm guessing we'll get a pretty good mix in with their first and second evolutions.
  • BladedFalcon - January 16, 2013 5:05 p.m.

Maybe so, and here's hoping! I mean, i think one of the best things Gen IV was switching it up by having all your starters have secondary types. (Altought they were arguably unbalanced... with Empoleon clearly having the best dual type combination.) And It's just- I really liked the idea of them being fire/psychic , Grass/Dark, Water/Fighting because if you, you'd have a cool counter with every secondary type. A reverse elemental triangle, if you will.
  • slimjim441 - January 16, 2013 10:44 p.m.

I always thought the Dark/Psychic/Fighting triangle would be a cool mix up paired with the typical triangle. If they do go with that, I think it's safe to say we won't be having fourth Fire/Fighting starter, which would be nice.
  • J-Fid - January 17, 2013 8:19 a.m.

Dark/Psychic/Fighting is not a true triangle. A triangle needs to be super effective one way and not very effective the other. Dark is immune to Psychic, breaking the triangle. Flying/Fighting/Rock, Steel/Rock/Fire and Ground/Poison/Grass are the only other true triangles.
  • BladedFalcon - January 17, 2013 9:30 a.m.

Semantics, it still works as a triangle. Because if you want to be super anal about "Equality" even the de facto elemental triangle is super flawed as well. With Grass type having a ton of weaknesses and water having only two.
  • J-Fid - January 17, 2013 11:41 a.m.

Yeah, but those extra weakness have nothing to do with three types INVOLVED in the triangle. The whole purpose of the triangle is to easily introduce new players to how the types work. That each types is strong against some and weak against others. No matter what type of Pokemon one chooses, there will always be another Pokemon that can beat it.
  • Cyberninja - January 16, 2013 9:52 p.m.

you want a fire Psychic pokemon here you go: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Victini_%28Pok%C3%A9mon%29
  • BladedFalcon - January 16, 2013 10:03 p.m.

I meant a starter one :P