• Doctalen - November 18, 2013 5:39 p.m.

Maybe their problem is in part marketing. Until this article was written I didn't even know this thing was on the market, I thought it was still being made :/ But I'm not interested in this at all and if its only real draw is to play mobile games on your tv, its got bigger issues to overcome than just marketing.
  • BladedFalcon - November 18, 2013 5:55 p.m.

Pretty much. Marketing may be one issue, but it's a small one compared to the fact that almost half a year after it's release, the ouya lacks a single compelling reason to be bought. Not a single one of the Ouya exclusive games looks good enough to buy the console just for that... If anything, the Ouya proves that ultimately, a console by itself is utterly meaningless, it's the games for that console that ends up elevating or damning a console.
  • Doctalen - November 18, 2013 6 p.m.

Yeah I agree with you. Nothing interesting on it (had to actually google its titles) and poor marketing makes it really unappealing. But at the same time I feel like they should have learned that lesson before. The Wii proved that even casual games could sell a system and the original halo proved that sometimes that one good game sells a console. Here they just kinda did nothing news worthy
  • BladedFalcon - November 18, 2013 5:08 p.m.

I find it kinda insulting that the Ouya is daring to compare itself to the Dreamcast though. In order for such comparison to be even remotely valid, the ouya would have had to be at least as revolutionary as the Dreamcast was at the time, or have the amazing games the Dreamcast had even on it's short lifespan. The Ouya falls short of both fronts, harshly. The Dreamcast is perhaps the most tragic console that has ever failed so far precisely because it was clear to see it was legitimately good, and it's failure is confusing to many to this day. The ouya on the other hand, had a myriad of issues from the start, was mediocre in it's control, specs, and support, and it's very damn easy to pinpoint the reasons it is a failing console. It may have had decent ideas and the best of intentions, but it doesn't even come close to the tragedy that the death of the Dreamcast was.
  • Sinosaur - November 18, 2013 5:31 p.m.

The Dreamcast will forever be the most beautiful console because it didn't last long enough to get filled with sequels. It was that brief, golden moment when unparalleled creativity was allowed to roam free before reality dropped the weight of the PS2 upon its head and ended it. ...Also that controller was disgusting and hurt my hands so much.
  • BladedFalcon - November 18, 2013 5:52 p.m.

Yeah, the Dreamcast controller was a monster, but at least was responsive and functional... Unlike the Ouya's.
  • Swedish_Chef - November 18, 2013 6:07 p.m.

Yeah I love the Dreamcast and even I'm not going to defend the controller, that thing was a unwieldy brick, it made the original Xbox controller look good by comparison. At least the official arcade sticks you could get for the system were cheap and surprisingly really solid.
  • FierceVoltage - November 19, 2013 11:57 a.m.

I don't think Ouya is comparing itself to the Dreamcast, I'm pretty sure the author of this article is making that comparison.
  • BladedFalcon - November 19, 2013 12:05 p.m.

Yes, because making a stark white version of the system with a bright orange circular-like symbol that looks exactly like the Dreamcast style happened to be a mere coincidence, I'm sure *rolls eyes*
  • FierceVoltage - November 19, 2013 12:14 p.m.

I mean the Wii, Xbox 360, and PS1 were all white as well. But you're probably right, I just don't see the motivation to compare themselves to a console that failed.
  • BladedFalcon - November 19, 2013 12:57 p.m.

Well, it's not just the white, it's the orange circular logo that makes it way more than a coincidence for me. And well, the way I see it, they are probably using this as a pity strategy, since most gamers actually have very fond memories of the dreamcast, and feel sad that it failed, so by reminding them of that, maybe the ouya is hoping to inspire sympathy and have more people support it.... Which is bullshit because the Ouya has done nothing to be deserving of either such comparison, or such support.
  • FierceVoltage - November 19, 2013 2:53 p.m.

I agree, I honestly forgot it existed until I saw this article.