• snipes101 - August 4, 2011 3:10 p.m.

I find it ironic that when games like Oblivion, Infamous or Mass Effect sell really well that no one gets called a sheep but since it's COD and Activision is such an internet boogeyman, you are a sheep if you buy their games. That's so backwards.
  • snipes101 - August 4, 2011 3:06 p.m.

Well I'm part of those numbers because the games are good. It's hard to argue otherwise statistically. Though when it comes to personal taste, it's pretty easy. Buying something everyone else buys does not make you a sheep either. I buy games like El Shaddai right along side of COD.
  • kassmageant - August 4, 2011 2:42 p.m.

@ CoryRX8 Vanquish it's amazing, while it lasts - it's a shame it doesn't last too long! and with cod, at least you have guarantee that you will get bang for your buck, cause there are always people playing it online. and when you beaten vanquish or shadows of the damned - what reason you have to go back? it seems that editors in their praise of niche titles like SotD often forget that people who read their stuff don't play dozens of games per month - they usually have to choice only few, and they want to feel the moniez were weel spend. sure, insane marketing of CoD series helps, but gamer know that CoD = lots of gameplay hours online.
  • EwoksTasteLikeChicken - August 4, 2011 2:39 p.m.

@Dafiddy MW2 multiplayer is broken. That is what really got me to start hating the CoD franchise. You couldn't find a match without half the players modding. These aren't the good kind of mods either, but I'm sure anyone who played mw2 on the 360 knows what I'm talking about. Anyway, the people who play CoD are like sheep. All the preps at my school say that Black Ops is their favorite game ever, and walking down the street one day, I passed a bunch of little kids that were talking about how cool mw3 is going to be. These are the same people that were playing Halo 2 and 3 a few years ago. Sure there are hardcore gamers playing cod. I myself find the single player fun, even the co-op modes the games have. I just hate the multiplayer of the game, which I feel is probaly what most other people, when they say they hate cod, probaly hate on too.
  • CoryRX8 - August 4, 2011 2:06 p.m.

Modern Warfare 2 deserved all of those sales. It's an incredibly polished and well-balanced game in both single player and multiplayer. It has its issues (Timtimhuthut pointed one out) and isn't perfect, but it's still an incredible game. Black Ops, however, really just rode MW2's coattails. I bought the game on reputation alone before I read the reviews, and was incredibly disappointed. Shadows of the Damned and Vanquish are both much more fun to play than Black Ops could ever hope to be, but unfortunately, they don't have name recognition going for them.
  • maxmorrow - August 4, 2011 1:50 p.m.

I anxiously await the press release stating that Call of Duty is now bigger than Jesus.
  • Dafiddy - August 4, 2011 1:49 p.m.

The games were good. Fact. (note the score to the right of this page for MW2). Focus your hate on Activision who released Black Ops knowing the multiplayer was broken (it's obvious they knew because they claimed multiplayer was a free gift to get around any legal obligations they may have had) and even when scores of players complained they did nothing for weeks and just blamed it on a poor NAT type or gave instructions on port forwarding.... GO F*** YOURSELF!!! I would love to see reviewers retrospectively dropping scores on games with these problems until the situation is fixed.
  • mothbanquet - August 4, 2011 1:40 p.m.

I bought both games and so count myself among that staggeringly large number. The reason for that number, however, is not so staggering. Simply put, they are good games and I (along with 46,999,999 others) are happy enough paying good money for them. They're not the very best games by a long stretch, in fact I found MW2 to be a huge disappointment compared to its predecessor and so swore off MW3 until the price comes down, but nevertheless they're still good ones. Point is, the only reason why the figures are that high is because the games deserve it. Calling people who play them 'sheep' is a gross generalization (I play anything and everything, and have done since the NES days) and such an attitude towards CoD and Activision is fast becoming a cliche in itself. Yes, the regular updates do grate, which was why I went off Guitar Hero entirely when World Tour came around and the drop in quality of that product spoke for itself when Activision dropped it. The annual CoD releases, however, have held little resemblence to one another in both plot and settings. WaW was a stunning return to WWII, Black Ops was an engaging Cold War story and the MW's couldn't be more different to either of those two. Aside from some trifling issues with the Treyarch developed games, I enjoyed them and as you can see from the universally favourable review scores, so did everyone else. If the success of a decent game offends you so then don't play it and certainly don't lambast the people who do. Instead just be thankful that your beloved pastime is able to outclass every other form of artistic media. I know I'd rather buy a CoD game than a Backstreet Boys album.
  • Timtimhuthut - August 4, 2011 1:37 p.m.

Someone said that the gameplay was balanced. I don't remember who, nor do i care. But they obviously have never used an AUG Hbar. With a silencer and stopping power, it's a 3 shot kill in MW2. There's always a few guns that are much better than other ones. For example: A very skilled player using a vector, could (and i'm only guessing) beat a slightly above average skilled player using a scar-h, half of the time. With the same perks and whatnot. I fail to see the balance and polish in this series.
  • Ultrabonz - August 4, 2011 1:33 p.m.

I wonder where all this money goes. Some people must be incredibly rich by now.
  • CitizenWolfie - August 4, 2011 1:19 p.m.

If only Nintendo had Activision's marketing team maybe the 3DS wouldn't be doing so bad right now *trollface* I like CoD despite being neither a sheep, a chav nor 8 years old. Sure, I love Shadow of the Colossus and Limbo and all those other arty games its cool to talk about but sometimes I just want to blow shit up. I bet if Bioshock was selling as well and being updated every year people would be saying the same thing. Haters gonna hate as they say.
  • JimmyNic - August 4, 2011 1:14 p.m.

I'd bet the majority of those who bought MW2 bought Black Ops. Meaning the amount of CoD fans is probably around 23 million. Which means they aren't more popular than the Beatles. Just sayin.
  • jackthemenace - August 4, 2011 1:14 p.m.

Be right back, I'm just off to KILL MYSELF. And by "be right back", I mean, "I'll never be back, I'll be dead."
  • Latnok - August 4, 2011 1:10 p.m.

I just want to say, it's not the best selling game but the most selling game :). Saying otherwise implies it's better than other games when it clearly isn't. It's not even game of the year worthy imo.
  • DrFred79 - August 4, 2011 1:09 p.m.

The CoD buying public shouldn't be voting... At least the majority of them still can't =P
  • cj12297 - August 4, 2011 1:07 p.m.

Right now around the world, hipsters are crying.
  • Zepaw - August 4, 2011 1:04 p.m.

I get so tired of the anything popular sucks crowd. I am not playing CoD because I enjoy it and have fun, I am a mindless sheep who does what big companies tell me to.
  • joemegson94 - August 4, 2011 12:57 p.m.

Only one guy in AC/DC is Australian. Also, those statistics about Mamma Mia! and Shania Twain made me extremely depressed.
  • Fredeur - August 4, 2011 12:54 p.m.

I am pretty proud of myself, i have bought Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops, so it's feel like i am almost an ukrainian now. Even better, i have bought Back In Black three times.
  • pimlicosound - August 4, 2011 12:42 p.m.

@Bamford38: "The only solace i can take from this is that im proud to be in the 70 thousand people that value originality, rather that the millions of people that are basically sheep." So you bought Shadows of the Damned because of its originality. Technically it's an original property, but when I look at it I see just a bunch of clichés mashed together with a typical Japanese action game style I know I don't like. I'm quite sure I would not enjoy it. I don't fear originality (I was one of the first to buy Mirror's Edge, etc.) but I just don't see anything in SOTD to entice me to try it. I've bought some of the recent Call of Duty games because they were incredibly polished, fun games with tight gameplay mechanics. Does that make me a sheep? Maybe, but then sheep often flock together because they know where to find good grass and safety, while the lone, lost sheep gets trapped somewhere in barbed wire. (Trust me, my family used to rear sheep and they look a lot more stupid when they run off doing their own thing than when they flock together. But maybe I'm stretching the analogy... :D )