Topics

editorial

We Recommend

• JarkayColt - August 28, 2013 12:54 p.m.

I can see why you might automatically think this is for children, but I don't think that's the full story. The introductory video shows two adults using it for starters. It is also not a device made for protecting children from exposure to 3D, because not only does the original 3DS have a depth slider, it can also be deactivated entirely in its settings. It would be pointless to make a new system just to enforce a setting that is already available as an option. The ONLY way to look at this is that Nintendo have made a budget version by stripping out a few features, the 3D, the hinge, and surround speakers. Weirdly it still takes 3D photos though. Like, the hell? Of course, it looks ugly, but that's what you expect from something more affordable, right? I guess it's okay; the worst parts are the name and general shape of it. Couldn't it have tapered a bit at the bottom?
  • BladedFalcon - August 28, 2013 1:08 p.m.

First news I get that Hinges are expensive... Honestly, you sound like you're defending it for defense's sake. Also, being cheaper doesn't necessarily equate being uglier. The GBA Micro was cheaper and smaller, and it tanked, but it wasn't ugly, just super small... Which is way more than you can say for this abomination. I mean, it's not just that it's fugly, how the heck is this supposed to be portable anymore? Unless you use super loose cholo pants with humongous pockets, this thing defeats the entire purpose of making a HANDHELD SYSTEM. Which is my biggest beef with it.
  • JarkayColt - August 28, 2013 1:31 p.m.

Well, I wasn't really saying a lack of hinges was due to cutting costs, rather that it conforms to that "cheap and nasty" vibe. It definitely is poorly designed and I didn't really want to sound like I was defending the thing. I said in the other article that it can't be comparable to the Micro because it certainly doesn't look portable, which I agree defeats the idea of a handheld first and Streetpass second. Plus it would probably snap in your pocket if you tried to sit down. I didn't want to repeat myself though. The Micro actually looked insanely cool whereas this reminds me of...uh...well, it'd be like holding a piece of toast with a screen on it. Everything about the design seems to accommodate the fact that the shoulder buttons are at the top, which is a STUPID place to put them considering the height of the thing. If everything had been squeezed towards the bottom they could have shaved a few millimeters off the sides and then it would only have been as pocket-unfriendly as the original Game Boy.
  • BladedFalcon - August 28, 2013 1:35 p.m.

Yeah... So far, I haven't even seen the most hardcore of Nintendo loyalists defend, much less justify that abomination of a design. At best, people praise because it's way cheaper, but that's about it.
  • JarkayColt - August 28, 2013 2:06 p.m.

I know, just look at how those two kids in this article's first image are holding the 2DS compared to those with the 3DS. That looks really uncomfortable anyway, but now try and imagine playing Kid Icarus with it. No, actually, I don't want to. The real kicker is that even though the 3D is gone, the battery life is pretty much identical. A pdf on Nintendo's site states it lasts up to 30 minutes longer. OH WOW. That will be nothing if you play on, like, the middle brightness setting. And when this thing is being justified as a "cheap Pokémon machine", remember how important portability is to Pokémon. No matter how you slice it, this thing kinda sucks.
  • R_U_Guys_From_British - August 28, 2013 12:43 p.m.

Haha chocolate, twerking and one direction. Good job on summing up the youth of today Coops!
  • Frieza - August 28, 2013 12:30 p.m.

Hmm... So, is this going to be the PSP-Go of the 3DS family?
  • winner2 - August 28, 2013 2:17 p.m.

Dear god that creation of satan should never be mentioned
  • D0CCON - August 28, 2013 12:25 p.m.

If I didn't already own a 3DS, a cheaper 2D option would be appealing since I never really use the 3D, but that looks very uncomfortable to hold. I tried putting my 3DS top screen completely flat and it's uncomfortable to use without the tilt. That tilt helps out a lot. Not to mention that spot pass will likely be a lot easier when you can close the lid and put the console into sleep mode, thus saving the battery. This'll likely have a sleep mode button, but that can easily be accidentally bumped on in your pocket.
  • rainn'sgaydar - August 28, 2013 1:54 p.m.

Looking at the button location, it looks like your hands will be closer to the middle of the thing than with a 3DS. I would think that would help quite a bit with the flat design. (Note: This design is not good. Not defending it. Just pointing out that it looks like they at least considered that the flat design would be an obstacle. Still, not great.)
  • rainn'sgaydar - August 28, 2013 12:24 p.m.

I can see this as being useful as a pooping console. That is, kept in the bathroom drawer, never leaving the house, and only played while, ya know, pooping. My nephews have had 3DS's since late 2011 when they were 6 and 7. They haven't gone blind. I understand the attempt here, but it doesn't make sense. And Nintendo HAS to be talked to about their naming convention, or rather, lack of naming convention. At this point, an uneducated consumer (read: average consumer) has, at best, a 50/50 shot at choosing the right Nintendo console and corresponding game. It's really bad. On the other side, at least Nintendo kind of just dropped this announcement out of nowhere. There was no fanfare. No special DS-focused Nintendo Direct. Just, "Here are some release dates for our holiday lineup. Wii U price drop too! *stares at ground* Oh yeah also this new 2-3-2 DS 2 flat wedge." To their credit, they're not touting it as the future of 3DS or as their portable future. Just an economy line. And really, that's acceptable.
  • CH3BURASHKA - August 28, 2013 12:14 p.m.

As you pointed out, it's a 2D DS. And technically, it's the DS 2 as well. It's practically incomprehensible. I am extremely curious how this went from thought to product, and why no one stopped it. #yearofthe180
  • Fro4show - August 28, 2013 12:08 p.m.

Wow. This will probably go down the same way as Gameboy Micro.
  • CH3BURASHKA - August 28, 2013 12:12 p.m.

It's not as stupid or desperate, but it's getting there. The GBM was functionally useless - this is slightly better. No hinge and completely abandoning the point of your whole 3D revolution? It's mindbogglin' yeah.