• mikeylawson - December 11, 2011 4:24 a.m.

Not impressed. Taking a game that defines stealth and turning it into dynasty warriors is like turning Ace Combat into a boat game or Splinter Cell into Call of Duty. Besides. Nobody likes Raiden.
  • ZidaneAlcor - December 11, 2011 2:10 a.m.

Am I the only one who was reminded of Metalocalypse when 'Revengeance' popped up? That made me lol hard. I wonder if there will be any psycho women trying to shoot men in the crotch with electric suction-cups...
  • Evanesco - December 10, 2011 11:41 p.m.

I don't play any MGS games so I have no opinion on this compared to them. As a game by itself, it looks extremely stupid, especially considering the tone they gave off from the tech demo(s) last year. This just looks like Dynasty Warriors with a MGS skins code on it. It looks terrible.
  • Fuzunga - December 10, 2011 11:33 p.m.

Also worth noting: the game is now a sequel to MGS4. So everyone can stop worrying about the story being ruined. http://www.konami.jp/mgr/en_us/index.html
  • snothammer - December 10, 2011 11:31 p.m.

Brief thoughts (I swear): 1. Revengeance is a dumbass name. Just to say it plain. 2. Calling the game Metal Gear Rising really doesn't make sense from a canonical standpoint. It's not a precursor to any of the "Metal Gear" games. The only game it's a precursor to (I imagine) is Metal Gear 'Solid' 4. That's a key difference (even if MGS3 and MGS:PW are precursors for both MG and MGS). 3. The switch to Platinum makes sense from a gameplay standpoint, which is what this game was basically meant to act as; a departure from stealth into hack-n-slash action... for better or worse. 4. The switch to Platinum worries from a plot and thematic standpoint. I enjoy the convoluted, conspiracy-driven plot of the MG and MGS games. I worry that Platinum will lose that edge, and therefore some of the games artistic relevance. Because, Metal Gear is easy to defend as art due to its political themes. Even the game can't deliver on that front, I feel it will lose much of its edge. On this note, I worry about Platinum losing the ability to weave a strong plot. Raiden is a fascinating character, despite how much he is hated. This game could really drive home the horrors of child soldiers and their lifelong psychological traumas, but I worry that Platinum won't be able to deliver on that front either. Sure, Platinum can create interesting characters, but they're all mostly tongue-in-cheek. Granted, MGS has a fair amount of cheesiness to it, but its characters are often deadly serious at poignant moments. I hope Platinum can have serious aspects to the characters as well as cheesy ones. Anyway, as concerned as I am for this game, I will still keep my eyes and ears, and mind, open. In the meantime, I'll probably be picking up and replaying through MGS:HD anyway. I've been craving it, but I don't have the money. Stupid student loans!
  • alphafour - December 10, 2011 10:15 p.m.

Regardless of whether it was or wasn't supposed to be a metal gear game it just looks like onimusha set in the future where you can chop people into pieces. Honestly the idea that slashing them 10 times doesn't cut through them and then miraculously on the 11th slash you slice through them like butter just doesn't do it for me. I don't know whether Platinum Games is a western or a japanese company but it's irrelevant. This game doesn't look good to me. Even the graphics are a step from MGS4 for me. The fact that it's even using the words "Metal Gear" is misleading because apart from the inclusion of some MGS characters it doesn't resemble anything Kojima productions has ever been involved in. Sometimes change is good but in this circumstance I say it isn't good. It isn't good at all and I won't buy it. That's that. My opinion. Hope you form your own :)
  • planetheads - December 10, 2011 10:38 p.m.

i 99% percent agree wit u.it looks like bayonetta with cyborgs.when i saw the first trailer,i first though tenchu done right.u know!like ninja stealth.but now it over the top action like bayonetta.sure it looks like fun,but it does look like MGS.so i agree with u on that but u sayin the graphic arent as good as MGS4....then u must be blind.
  • planetheads - December 10, 2011 10:40 p.m.

sorry meant to say "it doesnt look like MGS.
  • alphafour - December 10, 2011 10:43 p.m.

I mean like if u look at the graphics on the soldier guys with the helmets on they look like time crisis 4 enemies haha.. but yeh obviously the graphics on raiden himself are amazing but.. meh i dont know lol i wont be getting it anyway sooo :P
  • RedHarlow - December 10, 2011 11:14 p.m.

Time Crisis 4 enemies is the perfect description. They look a bit off, and now that you mention it, that's exactly what they look like.
  • alphafour - December 10, 2011 11:27 p.m.

Thanks for your reply, I'm glad I'm not the only who saw it!
  • ShowMeYourKitties - December 10, 2011 9:21 p.m.

Revengeance sounds like the name of an energy drink... specifically powerthirst.
  • Errrrbo - December 10, 2011 9:16 p.m.

This looks incredible. Cannot wait.
  • yobocop - December 10, 2011 8:57 p.m.

This trailer looks completely different from the first trailer they showed. I was very disappointed by it because it does not look like a Metal Gear Solid game. Not gonna lie, it looks very stupid. If you've played previous Metal Gear Solid games, then you should kinda feel the same way I do about this game. Very disappointed.
  • yobocop - December 10, 2011 9 p.m.

But don't get me wrong, I do want to play this game. Been wanting to play it since the first trailer came out.
  • BladedFalcon - December 10, 2011 10:22 p.m.

Actually, I'm a pretty big fan of MGS. I love the series and every single one of the core games, (yes, even MGS2.) and yes, this game is a pretty different beast than any of the others, though to be honest, it already looked pretty different back when they showed the very first trailer. Does it look ridiculously over the top? hell yes. But what many MGS fans seem to forget... is that they seem to be complaining about over the top in a series that has mass produced humanoid war machines with biological raptor legs, metrosexual vampires, (regenerated with nanomachines!) a dud that can control bees, motorcycle kung fu... And let's not forget, a humongous battleship with the faces of 4 dudes carved on the side like a mount rushmore knock-off. What I'm trying to say is... MGS is awesome, but those that think this trailer is too ridiculous or stupid for the series.... Well, are either in denial, or are pretty selective about what passes as believable and what is just too much :P
  • ThisIsMyFuckingThirdAccount - December 10, 2011 8:29 p.m.

Is it just me or is that trailer very Tarantino? Never played a Metal Gear game before. Kinda wish I had.
  • xlyesterdaylx - December 10, 2011 8 p.m.

Not disappointed that it's made by platinum.
  • LordZarlon - December 10, 2011 7:53 p.m.

What is with Japanese developers and the stupid names they give games. I don't mean this in a racial way. Subsistence, Infinite Undiscovery, Revengence. Honestly, I think that the reason some of the games coming out of Japan don't do well is because you can't tell what the hell the title means.
  • SideOfBeef - December 10, 2011 7:48 p.m.

REVENGEANCE IS NOT A WORD