Topics

Mass Effect 3

• infestedandy - June 26, 2012 12:08 p.m.

I'm super impressed at these endings. It's funny but after having defended BioWare fully and experiencing all of these new endings personally, I have to apologize for giving BioWare the benefit of the doubt. Shepard's indoctrination was just not true at all. That's not a bad thing as these new endings add a ton to the overall package, but it really has me raising questions about where they were going with the original endings. I mean, the extended stuff they added expanded upon the original endings so much, it makes them look completely awful - which, is what people were saying all along. The only thing I had to defend against the majority criticizing the hell out of BioWare was the fact that everything was so disjointed and out of place, it simply HAD to be something like indoctrination. Again, I'm super glad these endings are fantastic but damn... What was BioWare thinking initially?
  • BladedFalcon - June 26, 2012 12:40 p.m.

Heh, remember our little chat back then? remember how I said that to me, the endings just felt half assed and rushed? To me, this kinda proves that they really did half ass it. But fair is fair, and these endings ARE a big improvement, AND they are free, and they didn't take that long to be released. (only two months and a half, really not that bad, I'd say.) There are still things that bug me about the overall concept of the ending, but at least these feel complete and different enough that I CAN respect them to be Bioware's vision. They feel like proper endings, and to me that's enough. Even if it took a second go to get them right XD
  • infestedandy - June 30, 2012 8:39 p.m.

Yeah, you don't really see a developer reach out like this and for that I'm truly thankful. I wonder where the Mass Effect universe is going to turn to now? There was that little tidbit about the Catalyst speaking of its creators, but we'll see.
  • mockraven - June 26, 2012 11:45 a.m.

This is more of an observation than anything else, but I kind of found it funny that the wall of names had first and last names for everyone except "Commander Shepard." I figure in the end it might look tacky to have a nameplate that doesn't have the same texture as the other plates since the name would be pasted on there, but it was still amusing. All in all it's kind of nice that Bioware fleshed out the endings more without going nuts with altering them, other than the additional refusal ending. Although, I still would have been stoked if it turned out Shepard was Indoctrinated after all. :P
  • SentientSquidMachine - June 26, 2012 9:02 p.m.

I still think Shepard was. Control: Hey I know that other guy tried to control us and died but that totally wouldn't happen to you because you're special. Synthesis: Hey that would be awesome right? C'mon you need synthetics...you're synthetic too remember, so c'mon make everyone more controlabl-I mean equal (notice no one in those cutscenes celebrate when the Reapers leave like in the other endings). Destroy: Oh you don't want to do that. Edi will die you know....and um, it will destroy a lot of stuff...and that sucks....don't pick that. Or you can say go f*** yourself and then the nice guy act is dropped with that epic "so be it". You beat indoctrination, but the reality that you're fighting machines more badass then the ones from The Matrix sinks in and you die, like everyone else has for millions of years, becase you refused to play the Reaper's game.
  • mockraven - June 27, 2012 6:39 a.m.

It definitely would have filled in the plot holes better (or at least mended them) had Bioware chosen to go that route. The extended endings really make it look like you're supposed to take it at face-value, though. That said, when I beat the game some months ago, I picked Destroy because of the fact that Shepard lives despite being half-synthetic and the kid's "you'll destroy all synthetics" speech.
  • Clovin64 - June 26, 2012 10:33 a.m.

F*** it, I want my Scooby Doo Ending. Old Man Withers was the Reapers all along! He would've gotten away with it too, if it werent for those meddelin' assembled alien races!
  • goggamanxp - June 26, 2012 10:30 a.m.

The endings give what people wanted, and that was closure and an ending that made sense. I wish that they touched more upon the indoctrination theory though. The endings are not great, but the extended cut DLC did what it was supposed to do. The only thing this DLC didn't do was to make the endings stand out of eachother. (Except the refusal ending, which I summarize as pick a color or die)
  • thesilentassassin - June 26, 2012 10:21 a.m.

okay so is this not out on playstation yet because i searched for it all over the playstation network and couldn't find it and the bioware website said it was out today
  • Ethanater4000 - June 26, 2012 9:31 a.m.

F*ck those who don't like it it was free and Bioware was nice about it.
  • SentientSquidMachine - June 26, 2012 9:55 a.m.

Exactly! They should have trolled everyone. I hope this never happens again with any other game.
  • ParagonT - June 26, 2012 9:31 a.m.

Justin, your title infers that your upset that you have an optional DLC, say it ain't so!
  • hullonotna - June 26, 2012 9:28 a.m.

Not bad. I did not mind the old endings but these add quite a bit. That scene where they add shepard's name to the deceased board is very touching. I still wanted the "destroy" choice to carry more weight, perhaps by having joker carry out edi's lifeless body after the normandy crashes but that's just being picky. Awesome endings. Especially the new ending. Oh and people who say that they wanted their galactic readiness meter to affect whether they win or lose, they make it pretty clear that the crucible is organics only chance. Otherwise they get torn apart, no matter what.
  • ParagonT - June 26, 2012 9:34 a.m.

The only problem I see with it is that your choices still do not affect the ending, besides the four last options. That of course, seems a bit late to add, but I am appreciative and happy with the extended cut.
  • firas333 - June 26, 2012 9:15 a.m.

Even though it was better than the complete BS of the first endings, it still isnt good. luckily it at least is mediocre now and actually makes some sense, some loose ends still make the ending worse than it could have been. Though it is an acceptable amount since they can't tie up every single one of the loose ends in a timely manner.
  • kylemulderick - June 26, 2012 9:11 a.m.

The Refusal Ending can also be triggered is you shoot that smug little bastard in the face. Wasn't expecting that one... Overall, as one of the few who enjoyed the original endings, I have to say they did do some excellent additions and tied up the loopholes. But left out a very important one. Everyone finding out Shepard lives better be in DLC.
  • ParagonT - June 26, 2012 9:28 a.m.

Did you watch all three?
  • kylemulderick - June 26, 2012 10:13 a.m.

Yeah I saw all three. Control was really creepy. But I did enjoy how in the Destroy ending, you love interest hesitated before adding your name to the Memorial Wall. Whereas the other two, there was no doubt you were a goner. I dunno maybe I just wanted to see Shepard and Tali building a house on Rannoch while Garrus was getting drunk watching the vids of the last battle... Do we get to see videos of how the Normandy's medivac scene went? I want to know how many variations of that one we can get.
  • ParagonT - June 26, 2012 1:39 p.m.

Hahaha, the galactic dream, building a house on your home planet.
  • TheValiantBob - June 26, 2012 9:03 a.m.

Wow. I am super disappointed with the Refusal ending. When I saw it there I got really excited, but it was a huge letdown. I thought after refusing the game would cut to a cutscene where it would show everyone fighting the Reapers, and depending on your military rating and the alliances you made it would depend whether you succeeded or failed. That way it would satisfy the people whose major complaint was that the game ignored your choices. Instead it was just a insta-game over that still says "screw your choices." Way to miss a big opportunity Bioware to please your fans. Now the complaint will still be there that the game's ending is completely independent from your choices.