• BladedFalcon - August 22, 2013 11:48 a.m.

...So? does that diminish the game in any way? does that make the developers racist? Is any game that has multiple characters from now on going to have a required black, Asian, Latino, Homosexual characters lest it is made a big deal out of it?
  • FemJesse - August 22, 2013 12:15 p.m.

I think the most egregious offense is the "redesign" of Taric. Also, Lucian's premium currency skin makes him white which is all kinds of fucked up since there are no other HUMAN characters that swap their skin colors... see for yourself http://gameinfo.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/game-info/champions/lucian/
  • BladedFalcon - August 22, 2013 12:40 p.m.

Well... You COULD say that, as Lucian's racial features are still those of an African-American in that image, maybe they are also being inclusive to Albino Afro-Americans? :P Two birds one stone! In all seriousness though, I guess it IS more noteworthy here because you changed a former black man into a white guy, and now you allow the only black guy to have white skin. One happenstance doesn't seem a big deal to me, but two do make it feel more fishy.
  • FemJesse - August 22, 2013 1:24 p.m.

I think the cool thing about real life is that everyone looks different. I don't know why fantasy should be lacking the coolest thing about the real world.
  • BladedFalcon - August 22, 2013 3:35 p.m.

That's a good point. Although you could say that's a problem with ALL fictional media in general. Most people want to make their fictional characters be appealing or idealized, and so you often get repeats of the narrow view of what is considered "attractive". And hell, I would pursue your point further in that in fantasy or sci, there so much missed opportunities by making most alien or magical races be too humanoid, or humanoid mixed with a known animal, and even then you ALWAYS have way too many generic looking humans in most of these stories XD
  • FemJesse - August 22, 2013 6:23 p.m.

I can't disagree with you there. I think it's part of the reason everybody loves the Elcor so much. I think it's funny that people are acting defensive of Riot, when the whole thing is just a humorous observation. Riot could have easily just never acknowledged that there could be different looking people in its continuity and it wouldn't have made a difference. I really like Lucian's design and I'm excited to play him soon. I was also giddy when he was announced because his splash art is doing the boobs and butt pose that they usually put the women in.
  • BladedFalcon - August 22, 2013 7:43 p.m.

To be fair, I wasn't really defending Riot so much as I was simply a bit baffled as to why this was a big deal, with a bit more of context, I do understand it now XD And heh, yeah, that pose is ridiculous XD
  • awesomesauce - August 22, 2013 9:32 p.m.

i don't think it diminishes the game but i think it should be a awake up call to open up diversity among creators. I mean like for some reason when ever there's a game there's only one of a different race just to have a token character and the rest will be white. Like i was really impressed that starhawk & walking dead decided to have a black main character .
  • RSQViper - August 22, 2013 11:43 a.m.

Gee, what country is the game made in? And we expected any different? Why would we?
  • Pooka - August 22, 2013 10:56 a.m.

So... You got paid for this? This isn't news. This isn't funny satire. It's barely anything at all. Except maybe mildly racist and uncomfortable.
  • Frieza - August 22, 2013 10:54 a.m.

What, no Latinos?
  • GR HollanderCooper - August 22, 2013 11:27 a.m.

Not that I know of. One day, maybe. One day...
  • Skyb1ade - August 22, 2013 2:42 p.m.

Or maybe never because Latinos don't give a damn/ there is no place in Valoran that Latinos would be found
  • CrashmanX - August 22, 2013 10:48 a.m.

"An asian woman with a fan (who might have originally been black)." Cooper, I normally like your articles but this is #1 BARELY even an "article" and #2 makes me question if you ACTUALLY played the game/read up on the lore/looked at the in-game models of the characters instead of just reading the absolute basics about each champ and making a declaration off their profile picture.
  • CrashmanX - August 22, 2013 10:59 a.m.

Morde Kaiser's Pentakill skin is a joke and doesn't actually reflect what's under the armor. No body knows what's under the armor or if it's even human. Yordles are closer to Badgers than kitties. Amumu isn't a Yordle. He's a little kid. (GJ on reading that lore) "A white, female weredragon." We don't know what her original Skin color was BECAUSE SHE'S HALF DRAGON. "A white genie." ITT: Anything that's not black = White (Pssst, he's more "Middle eastern" than White) "A purple alien with a purple sword." Guess exceptions can be made since he's white in his alt-skin, but hey that doesn't matter. "A white jester." What is Face paint? Again, we don't know his skin color. He wears makeup. "A magic rock." Energy. In a coffin. Doesn't even look like a rock except in his alt skin. I'm wondering if you've even BEEN to the League Wiki let alone the site or the actual game. Also you forgot to mention Kayle is a White FEMALE angel. "A white male who used to be black and might be a homosexual." ... I think I've been trolled.
  • GR HollanderCooper - August 22, 2013 11:06 a.m.

Taric's skin was originally black, but they changed him to write. The community also speculates that he might be a homosexual.
  • CrashmanX - August 22, 2013 5:55 p.m.

I will fully admit to having been dragged on a giant ruse cruise. I blame Tumblr for making me skeptical of people and jumping to conclusions. I'm sorry man.
  • GR HollanderCooper - August 22, 2013 11 a.m.

I've been playing since beta, and own just about all of the Champions, so I do know about the game. Karma's character model/original skin was more black originally, but was updated to be more asian a few months ago.
  • GoldenEagle1476 - August 22, 2013 10:47 a.m.

I think it was a missed opportunity not calling Nautilus a Big Daddy.
  • JakePPetersen - August 22, 2013 12:07 p.m.

This^
  • GR HollanderCooper - August 22, 2013 12:50 p.m.

Dammit!
  • Connor Sheridan - August 22, 2013 10:30 a.m.

Ouch.