• aaaa551155 - October 21, 2010 10:35 p.m.

Most of the plot holes are based on your opinion of the game not any facts. Many of your plot holes are things you apparently found annoying with the game. Realistically a lot of things could happen for no particular reason. Why does GR have so many fan boys ready to spring into action the second anyone criticizes an article? One of the comments bashing an opposing side of view actually said "even though you used proper grammar and effective vocabulary, in the end you still blatantly ignored all of the reasons." Lmao maturity = 1 year old.
  • ZombieGirly - December 27, 2012 11:25 a.m.

"Why does GR have so many fan boys ready to spring into action the second anyone criticizes an article?" Well, why does HR have so many fan boys ready to spring into action the second anyone criticizes the game? We'll probably never know on either account.
  • cj12297 - June 9, 2010 2:43 p.m.

i agree with number 15 except for calling the police and cleaning prints. he is smart so he called the police to seem like the killer was trying to get them arrested to throw them off his tail. and it is a great way to clean up prints or else lauren would just go what are you doing?
  • Yarblockos - May 9, 2010 1:15 p.m.

Actually, pretty much anything involving Madison, and anything involving Shelby was a giant failure in story telling.
  • Yarblockos - May 9, 2010 1:07 p.m.

Some of the plot holes are completely indefensible, and pull you out of the game (immersion!) so hard, that anything the game had going for it is destroyed. The only the game had going for it was the story (sure as hell wasn't the awful controls). When the story fails, the game fails. The blackouts. The Madison / Shelby link (or complete lack thereof). Getting slaughtered by the drug dealer and somehow living. etc. Game killers. The page long defenses are laughable.
  • GAsLA25 - May 3, 2010 4:27 a.m.

the only two plot points I really had issue with was first the cemetery scene, because I felt that information could have been worked in the story in a more realistic way, and Madison talking about Shelby's motives for killing the children, because there was no way she could have known that unless he said it.
  • GAsLA25 - May 3, 2010 4:13 a.m.

1) She was shocked she heard a name. The old woman had effin Alzheimer's. She was lucky she heard anything other than them damn paper dogs Johnny loved. 4) You'd be surprised at how little evidence murderers get indicted with. 5) If he only had one origami dog, I would have said it was a warning from the OK. But two I wasn't really buying. 7) For real? I didn't know you could have her do that. My Madison jumped out the window. Yeah, that's kinda stupid. 10) Mad Jack might have lied about it being a police officer. But that MF doesn't care anyway. 11) I agree with the size of Shelby, but seeing he had people in his pockets and didn't mind killing them either, probably had someone else do it. Besides that, why couldn't go to the dead ends and work back? Like you would do mopping? 13) He killed everyone there. They wouldn't be discovered until Shelby was long gone. 14) Stocks, mutual funds, IRAs, mob money, drug money, laundered money, etc. He can get money if he needed. 15) Um, yeah, I was looking sideways at the screen on that one.
  • jungchiu - April 16, 2010 5:13 a.m.

I think the major plot hole is that Shaun is a super kid. The reasons? First, he didn't eat for days. And he could've thirsty to death(unless he drink rain water?) He should be killed by cold, consider there is no AC or any heater in the house. He hang on onto the bars for several days, which is impossible for a normal kid. And the last, most people might never think about it but did you know that people can die from soaking in the water for too long? There are several cases which people fell asleep in the bathtub and after a few hours their body will expand due to the water goinginto the skins. People can get killed by that. There is just no way for Shaun to live by then, unless he is a superman.
  • JayHairston - April 11, 2010 4:58 p.m.

@Conman93: If I remember right, she was driving by and noticed his car parked in front of the abandoned apartment. I want to know, why after finding the first cell phone chip inside the GPS system did he not immediately think all the other chips would have to be somewhere VERY close to where the trial was taking place. I.E. The Lizard Trial (finger off) I would have immediately broke the camera, looked inside, checked under the table, the floor boards, then ripped that place apart looking for the chip, found it, walked out Scott free (no pun intended) then google mapped the address I had so far and been done with it, lol.
  • JayHairston - April 11, 2010 4:54 p.m.

Very humorous list. However, I only find a few of them credible and the rest I feel are a little over zealous. One, being that the female protagonist & Shelby never met but she really had a strong reaction in the hospital after learning his identity. (I like to make myself believe that the old lady whispered his name, followed by his occupation, followed by his phone number/address/ favorite food/height/weight/etc.) The other being the Butterfly trial and Shelby's massive size. I knew from the club scene on that he was indeed the killer, mainly because he was hugenormous and being that the game was 75% over with no other giant suspects, that Mr. Shelby was to blame. He definitely could not have fit his tank ass in that sewer line breaking off pieces of glass for the trail.
  • Conman93 - March 29, 2010 8:46 p.m.

Just finished today and I found another plothole with madison ( Spoilers, kind of) After the lizard trial (finger amputation) when the police are waiting outside the apartment, madison arrives on her motorbike outside the building, and she knew ethan was inside. We never find out how she learned this, unless she broke into ethans hotel room and read the pieces of paper. Anyway, enjoyed the game very much and I hope to see more like it in the future Oh and in #7, Madison totally pulled an Indiana Jones
  • Adontimasu - December 27, 2011 8:43 p.m.

That is not a plot hole. If you choose to kiss Madison in the hotel room, after coitus you learn that she has been following Ethan to his destinations and has been photographing and taking notes on his activities because she believes he is the killer - at least at that point. That is made quite clear. When he didn't come out, she might have gone in looking for him. Also, there is the possibility that he called her with the cell phone to come get him; after all, all he had to do is call the motel and redirect the call to her room.
  • eviljubs - March 22, 2010 9:59 a.m.

Most of these aren't really "plot holes" so much as they are the author's own disappointments with the game, not actual holes. Number 14 negates itself, saying "how could shelby have afforded anything he had, but he helped this guy set up this popular night club"... I dunno? Maybe with the MONEY HE GOT FROM SETTING UP A NIGHT CLUB!? I love it when people point out "holes" that they could have solved themselves with a little bit of thinking. That said some things are a bit glaring, but if I play through the game again I'll be sure to carefully watch for. Like the "blackout" origami's that ethan gets, those were very confusing... The whole thing about the cops being stupid is typical of any game, movie, or t.v. show. When you watch a movie, do you sit there and say "man they've shot at this guy 400 times! Why can't they hit him!" or "why aren't the cops investigating this!?". Sometimes cops are stupid. It happens. Sometimes people have to be bad shots to make things dramatic. It happens. Get over it. Not all media is completely logical. I thought the game's story was well crafted and well acted. There were much less plot holes than this article would have you believe. At least it had a story worthy of a b movie, most games are much worse. Not only that but this is probably the first game where the STORY is the ENTIRE FOCUS of the game. Most games just give you a reason to be shooting things, and make you shoot them. I think the game fundamentally succeeds at doing what it purports to do. Stories in games have always been notoriously bad and poorly acted. I thought the game's story was far beyond most, and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better acted than other recent titles. I'm sure god of war 3 and fallout were bastions of great acting and storytelling. I haven't played a game quite as engaging and interesting as this one. To say that it is "terrible" is just an insult without basis. I've seen movies that have worse storylines, and probably cost much more to make. Transformers 1/2, indiana jones, etc. etc. etc. Write an article that actually has some basis for its claims. I also love the hypocrisy of people calling others fanboys, while at the same time claiming that GR is the best site ever. No fanboydom there at all... Grow some balls. Please.
  • Anders - March 13, 2010 10:25 p.m.

This article was total and absolute bullshit.
  • philipshaw - March 8, 2010 7:15 p.m.

Only got around to reading this now because I beat the game at the weekend and I can see where the article is coming from but I went along with the experience and didn't think about any of these plot holes
  • johnperkowski - March 5, 2010 5:04 p.m.

Nice article, but you missed another one that just proves how incompetant cops are. during the Lizard Trial, the cops track Ethan to a hotel. They don't know what he is doing there. They decide to storm the place. Ethan escapes/doesn't escape. The cops... don't look around for clues... or Shaun... At a place they know the killer was.
  • calinyenser - March 5, 2010 10:12 a.m.

probably mentioned, but i refuse to read through 7 pages of comments. but you missed (what i believe) to be the biggest plot hole...the 48 year old scott shelby born in 1968, died in 2011...that doesn't seem to add up. and being a cop and a pi must be a tough job because boy does he look rough for 48.
  • ranivus - March 4, 2010 2:52 p.m.

Oh, one more thing... I forgot to mention that whole scene with the kid. My first thought was like, oh wow really? The car was going insanely slow. Ethan SHIELDS his son from the impact and based on how he was falling/spinning he was going to cushion the impact from the car AND the pavement. And you also forgot to mention the "sex scene" Between Madison and Ethan. That was so out of place and just awkward it makes American Pie scenes more relevant. And to anyone who says this story is "deep" obviously needs to watch better movies b/c this plot holed mess is even D class at best. Just look at ALL the "endings" very anticlimactic.
  • ranivus - March 4, 2010 2:44 p.m.

Spoiler alert: I agree 100% with plot holes 1, 2, 7, and 9 among others. I gave up trying to understand what the hell was going on after Madison figured out who the killer was. Her facial expression lead me to believe ethan was the killer. So when the scene cuts back to Shelby and that whore i didn't suspect Shelby could be the one b/c he never ran across madison even once. And then when i saw him burning all that crap i was like "SERIOUSLY?!! Comeon, none of that made sense!" And don't get me started on the plot hole / bug when Jayden has to acuse someone by using AVI one more time. If you don't pick up the laundry ticket after the fight in the club you're stuck sitting threre staring at the same crap for hours b/c Jayden says there's MORE evidence even though it is physically impossible b/c you cant go back to the club. So why is that option even there?
  • salcruz - March 4, 2010 6:56 a.m.

This article is a glaringly perfect example of journalistic dick-jerking which appears to have so swept the blogosphere. From the subtitle "15 reasons the supposedly brainy epic makes no more sense than Modern Warfare 2" the article's snobby and self-serving tone. First off, the writer makes the assumption that "oh! this was supposed to be fucking Hemingway! Instead it turned out to be DAN BROWN!" I don't ever recall anyone saying the games story was "brainy" or "sophisticated" what i recall being all the buzz was the game's constant use of the player's interaction to drive the story forward, from the controls to the actions. "Brainy" and "Sophisticated" stories are never really fun to experience, and only really serve to give high-nosed critics orgasms. It's bad enough that people automatically jizz about a movie because it's about a rare-explored plot or because it showcases an obscure story. But now video games? Really? Also, I personally had alot of fun with modern Warfare 2's campaign, and was basically on a perpetual adrenaline high for 7 hours straight. In my opinion, Heavy Rain delivered a balanced experience: It delivered an engaging and deep (deep in the sense of how deeply it RUNS, and how immersed-in-itself it is, not in how blandly up its own ass it is) story while keeping it fun and entertaining. I don't know about the rest of my fellow gamers, but when I sit down infront of my telivision with a controller in my hand, I'm looking to have fun. If I wanted to get a well-tuned plot full of symbolism and enlightening ideas, I'd read go read literature. Again, I abhor the whole self-serving opinions that come about when something that was highly-anticipated and had lots of buzz around it comes out. Go look up any movie on roTTEN Tomatoes. Even movies that are widely wildly-acclaimed have at least one doucher on there spewing out how horrible it is, etc. Bloggers always seem to have a fucking field day with it. And, i guess it works. I mean, here I am adding to your view count and commenting on this. Just like I'm sure you expected. While i agree that alot of these situations seem ridiculous when you think about it, I would in no way agree that they are "big plot holes". In fact, unless you purposefully think about them, they don't take away from the experience of the game one bit. PS. Regarding Speno93's comment? Phoenix Wright? Brilliant writing? Really? I love that series. It's fun. It's crazy. But it suffers even worse than Heavy Rain in how it is full of little things that if you think about too hard make no sense. To start, the whole premise of "oh hey im an defense attorney. But I'm also going to act as a PI and a Forensics specialist and investigate crime scenes. By the way, my assistant is a psychic." Your Anti-PS3 stance and obvious Nintendo-Love are shining through the facade, my boy.