• Matt Cundy - April 30, 2010 4:36 p.m.

@powerpc127 I'll definitely keep going with MH because I really want to get on to the big monsters. The ones that are evil bastards that don't have families and deserve to die.
  • Evilsafetyboy - April 30, 2010 4:32 p.m.

I bought two copies of Monster Hunter 2 for the PSP so my wife and I could play together (I had already played and loved Monster Hunter Freedom). Passing through a meadow, we encountered the herbivore dinos and I nonchalantly killed two of them. Suffice to say, my wife couldn't get beyond that part of the game and I ended up trading it in later. But yeah, like a lot of posters, Shadow of the Colossus is the one. Any maybe the baby seals in Overlord 2..
  • CrazedPenguin - April 30, 2010 4:31 p.m.

After taking down the second Boss in Shadow of the Colossus, I couldn't bring myself to finish it.
  • powerpc127 - April 30, 2010 4:28 p.m.

I got the same feeling in MH tri. Then I tried fighting the harder monsters and realized it's not a slaughter, it's a fight. You're fighting tooth and nail to take down a behemoth with no qualms about crushing you under his giant feet and making you a snack. And you do take them down for a reason (even if it is just to get the gear to take down a bigger monster). I also had the same experience in GTA IV. When you had to choose between Playboy and the guy that just got out of jail, I killed the guy that just got out of jail. I did it because he was happy with being a criminal while Playboy kept going on about helping the kids and whatnot. That and Playboy had connections. So I went to the guy's house to find his father trying to stop me with a baseball bat. I didn't use a gun, just my fists (because I felt bad). Then I walked into the room where the guy was and I couldn't make myself kill him. I ended up dropping a grenade and turning around so I didn't have to see him. Turned out Playboy was bullshitting too... I felt bad.
  • 8bitBaby - April 30, 2010 4:20 p.m.

Oblivion. after being chased for hours by an insane goblin across damn near the entire map i finally lost him and made it to civilization, where i then pickpocketed a lady stealing her house key. she had no way to get into her house i suppose so she wandered around the outside of the front gates and when i came back out hours later i found her laying dead next to the dead body of the goblin that had been chasing me. apparently it killed her and someone else killed it. i still feel bad (TO THIS DAY), because she could have gone home, but i took her key so she ended up dead. that was a first for me with feelings and games colliding.
  • sgloomy - April 30, 2010 4:17 p.m.

It happens to me on occassions, not killing people in GTA IV but at the end where yoy have to decide which route you'll take and no matter what someone close to you dies, that was a hard decision, another one is in MGS 1 where you have to kill sniper wolf infront of otocan, that was a bummer, i had started to like the character, of course there are also times where thing are complete opposite, best example being God of War, i mean you brutally murder people in your way, some of them have done absolutely nothing wrong, but the fact that Kratos has been fucked over so grandly makes you feel like they somehow deserved it, but at the end of the day, it was a game.
  • Xplosive59 - April 30, 2010 4:14 p.m.

Probably the part in fable where you can choose to sacrifice your youth to save a lost girl who is to be sacrificed, it wasnt bothering me at first but when she talked about her wanting to see her mum and stuff i couldnt let her be taken, so yeah i sacrificed my youth on that.
  • PhantomDave - April 30, 2010 3:30 p.m.

@ db1331 : Yep, mine will always be when I had Zaalbar kill Mission Vao at the end of KotOR. I played a game being as evil as I wanted and gleefully ruining people's lives left and right. But that scene made think of the consequences for a minute. I kind of just sat and looked at the dialogue options on the screen for a while deciding if I was really THAT evil. I was of course. LOL The second time was in Dragon Age Origins when I ordered the execution of Alistair. The dialogue that followed made me feel like a traitor. And I never really even played with him in my party. LOL BioWARE are just the masters of character building and story telling. Period.
  • avantguardian - April 30, 2010 3:24 p.m.

even though it takes place in a fantasy setting, its not hard to conclude that monster hunter, though sensationalized, is really just a reimagining(or baddasserizing, if you will)of old school hunters/gatherers...they didn't have their processed tofu, "vegan cheese"(what?), wheat free whatever, etc...native americans hunted relatively docile buffalo to survive, they didn't slaughter them(that was somebody else), but used all that they could of the animal to better their lives...not too unlike monster hunter... oh and vinicusg..t.guedes...you're an ass
  • jakery22 - April 30, 2010 3:21 p.m.

I felt really bad in Bioshock. It's the only game i ever felt sad about. I was close to tears at the end. :'). At all three ending too. I especially felt bad about kill little sisters. Didn't help with them crying once "Mr Bubbles" was dead. :/.
  • MassSaber - April 30, 2010 3:05 p.m.

In Mass Effect 2 on Zaheed's personal quest you're save the refinery workers or let them burn I was playing a renegade at the time so I let them burn, as you play thru the rest of the level I could hear them screaming for help as they burn
  • Seabread - April 30, 2010 3:01 p.m.

SotC. I wept every time i took down one of those lumbering giants.
  • db1331 - April 30, 2010 3:01 p.m.

In Knights of the Old Republic I started out as a good guy but made the switch to the dark side in the later part of the game. I remember when Mission objected to my latest evil actions and didn't want to come along with me anymore. I could have just left her on the planet. I could have even killed her. I took it one step further though. I used a Force persuade on her best friend the Wookie and told him to kill her. I felt pretty bad after that, but there was no turning back at that point. Also just like in your recent article, I felt like a dick in Mass Effect when I left Kaiden to die for the sole reason that I wanted to be able to bang Ashley later. Poor guy never had a chance.
  • StrayGator - April 30, 2010 3 p.m.

Just found my cat sitting in the bathroom sink and opened the tap directly above her. for the lulz. Guess my sensitivity towards game characters is a method of escapism from my everyday assholery.
  • spulungkin - April 30, 2010 2:51 p.m.

MGS3: Snake Eater After you defeated Boss, you have to shoot her... after I pressed that button, I realize... Snake did not kill the boss, I did... I felt guilty especially when I learn his true motives....
  • hester2 - April 30, 2010 2:51 p.m.

***Heavy Rain and Mass Effect 2 Spoilers*** I had a problem in Heavy Rain when you were asked to murder the guy in the apartment. I ended up not doing it, and I remember wondering if I had killed my son. Then I quit playing for a couple hours to remind myself that wasn't real and I was being stupid. Mass Effect 2 also bothered me at times, specifically in scenes concerning Tali. I felt guilty both when I took the guy at the beginning for questioning and when I told her I wouldn't kill Legion.
  • Mysticgamer - April 30, 2010 2:47 p.m.

I thought that I was the only one who had qualms about killing the dino family in the forest. Nice to know that I'm not, but Lagiacrus? I'm going to make a buffet out of him, invite the villagers, and wear ensemble made of his hide.
  • hitmanfan - April 30, 2010 2:47 p.m.

When you play in the virtual reality part in Fallout 3, where you have to get two people to divorce, make a kid cry and then kill everyone with a knife. That part of the game (even though it was taking place in a further virtual reality, ironically) is the part that made me feel a little uncomfortable. Also the level in Manhunt 2 that takes place in the neighbourhood. Two civillians come out of their houses to investigate and I felt really horrible for killing two completely innocent in such horrible ways, especially as when you wander past one of the houses you hear a woman inside say something like "Steve, I think someone's out there."
  • StrayGator - April 30, 2010 2:40 p.m.

Never had toquestion my moral standards or look at the mirror, but I often feel uncomfortable killing videogame characters given the context and depiction are realistic enough. Be they the innocent people of manhattan (prototype), that russian airport (MW2), native americans, mexicans and yankees (COJ) terrorists and even nazis. Anyway, I still play and enjoy these games, thankful for not having similar experiences IRL.
  • grizzly311 - April 30, 2010 2:39 p.m.

Gotta disagree on this one. They are games, you're not going to hurt their feelings by slaughtering them. That and sometimes its fun to be a dick in games because you can't or won't in real life, so think if it as catharsis.