Topics

Great Debate

• miles-prowd - August 19, 2012 2:44 a.m.

"Nintendo Nintendo, 2ND Genisis, back in the day we measured greatness in bits. Sonic the hedgehog, or Super Mario, only one can be the king of old-school consoles."
  • EnderLord - August 3, 2014 4:29 p.m.

Actually its Nintendo Nintendo Sega Genesis
  • aaron-sugarboy-adams - August 19, 2012 9:05 a.m.

if sonic uses the super emeralds back in sonic 3 and knuckles he could kill mario in an instant
  • tyler_14_420 - August 19, 2012 2:48 p.m.

Sonic has drastically gone downhill, to the point where he's a third-party in a Nintendo game. I felt that should be mentioned. And aside from that, most if not all Sonic 3D games have been shit. Some have occasionally been "decent" but the argument that a mediocre Sonic 3D game had "more to do" doesn't really mean much if it's all crappy gimicky stuff that nobody WANTS to do. Oh boy, a virtual pet raising simulator. SNORE Mario has consistently raised the bar. I admit, Super Mario Bros 2. was not his own innovation (See: Doki Doki Panic) but Super Mario Bros. 3 was an absolute clear winner of the SNES era. The fantastic level design, wide array of powers, hidden secrets, replay value, and overall excellent design just completely blew me away back in the day. Sonic also has an inherent problem in that many of his games design the character towards being fast, and then throw things that just slow him down. Enemies that you have to jump onto (Which slow you down), vertical sequences (Also slow you down) and even some really shitty levels like the water levels. Hell, comparing most Mario levels to Sonic levels, I usually end up getting through the Mario levels faster because they are designed to have better flow. Lots of Sonic Segments are like "Oh, here's a wall. Use this bouncy thing to go over it." Super Mario Galaxy also blew people away. And referencing a cancelled game as proof the concept was too terrible for Sonic is dumb, because you can't argue that people don't like Super Mario Galaxy. It's a fantastic game, and while it shares it flaws, #2 improved upon the original in every way. Super Mario 64 single-handedly brought platforming to 3D, which then opened the door for the likes of fantastic platformers like Banjo-Kazooie. I don't think of any Sonic Games when I think "Good 3D Platformer." This is a decade old argument that only really applies to the 2D era. It's very evident that Mario has completely demolished Sonic in the 3D Era. Tell me... does GamesRadar host a Sonic Week? I think not.
  • sternparez - August 20, 2012 5:14 a.m.

I'll always prefer Sonic to Mario mainly for nostalgia (I only had a MegaDrive when I was younger) but also for the music! You should have mentioned how superior Sonic's music is. But I can admit that Mario's games are generally better especially post Megadrive.
  • Rowdie - August 21, 2012 1:21 p.m.

Wow sonic in a landslide. I never would have imagined it. I voted sonic. The only fun I've really had with mario is Mario kart.
  • Kenneth Muliadi - August 22, 2012 9:40 p.m.

Well, if you ask which is my favourite, It'll be Sonic. But if you ask me which is my most favourite game franchise, I'll say it will be Angry Birds