Topics

Great Debate

• Cloudiology - August 17, 2012 6:47 a.m.

AND HENRY! sonic blew up multiple death eggs on the planet Mobius, not earth. ya big spaaaa! if you're gonna pick on sonic. get your facts straight! 8p
  • spankyj25 - August 17, 2012 6:54 a.m.

Had this article been written in 1998, Sonic wins. Hands down. Mario was great, but Sonic had the edginess that made him so much more fun as a protagonist. JT had some great points, but I have to agree with the other comments that state he was fighting a losing battle. Mario is by far the more endearing and enduring character. While I love Sonic (especially pre-speech versions) There's no denying that Almost everything Mario touches turns to gold (Even Mario's Tennis was the best game on the Virtual Boy!), while Sonic has struggled to keep gamers interested in anything that he doesn't star with a bunch of other Sega, or even Nintendo, characters to help shoulder the responsibility of entertainment. Mario FTW IMO BTW...Sorry, texting with my teenager has damaged me. ;-)
  • PhantasyPopStar - August 17, 2012 6:58 a.m.

mario and somic suck. iphones are better
  • Shnubby - August 17, 2012 8 a.m.

An iphone is not a video game character.
  • PhantasyPopStar - August 17, 2012 8:15 a.m.

ya'd like that wouldn't ya!
  • ilovesonic - August 17, 2012 12:25 p.m.

@PhantasyPopStar: First of all, you need to learn how to spell. Second, iphones are NOT video game characters! Third, iphone games lack incredibly in gameplay unlike the consoles. Fourth, Sonic and Mario are both fantastic series. Your argument is invalid!
  • miles-prowd - August 19, 2012 2:50 a.m.

Amen! But, Sonic would pwn Mario anytime. Sure, he'd put up a good fight, but Sonic would win. And why would someone think an iPhone is a VG character? Hmm...Anyways, Mario does have a good series, and so does Sonic. But, ilovesonic, as you may know, I like Sonic too, and belive he is a boss.
  • rxb - August 17, 2012 9 a.m.

The rules said that it was a hero battle not taking the games into account, Henry seemed to forget this in his first point. Overall on the arguements put forward I think Justin won. To me its pretty obvious that a super fast hedgehog would make a better hero than a fat plumber. The sad thing in my eyes is that even with this better charactor Sega have made the inferior games overall. Talk about wasted potential, Justin's other Sonic/Mario article made me laugh because if Sega had done a good job it could so easily be true.
  • Danny-Duignan - August 17, 2012 11:09 a.m.

Sonic would kick Mario's ass in no time! See for yourself on Death Battles; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aq_dOLFmxA
  • miles-prowd - August 19, 2012 2:54 a.m.

Yes! Praise God! Someone else in this world that knows! While I'm here I might as well say that Sonic Pwns like a boss. =3
  • freddyli0824 - August 17, 2012 11:44 a.m.

God save sonic
  • aaron-price - August 17, 2012 12:02 p.m.

... I can't believe im sayin this.... But Mario is getting tiring... A game is something your'e supposed to look forward to... Not something that comes 3X a year every year
  • taras-hrebinka - August 17, 2012 2:03 p.m.

no doubt, sonic wins, he may have a few bad games, but the story, the characters, Sonic the Hedgehog will always be one step above mario, he has the quills, the amazing design, and the coolest set of characters i have ever seen in a video game, sorry mario, you may have been cool years ago, but Sonic stole the spotlight
  • richard-j-murray - August 17, 2012 3:14 p.m.

well no need for this debate , just pop in SUPER SMASH BROS BRAWL and settle the score that way;)
  • Phrosty - August 17, 2012 9:59 p.m.

Lets see Mario smashes rocks and can become metal. Sonic kills robots made of metal and has the speed of sound on his side. *[Items cannot be accounted for for this fight its just stupid] *[But if they were sonic has a lot of stuff to make him immune to - stuff more than Mario] *[ex. (Mario Star power) vs (Sonic Invincibility Item Box) but then Sonic has "Super Sonic"] Hmm that decision seems so tough. Haha just kidding Sonic wins. Heck even Metal Sonic can kick Marios butt. This debate is as silly as putting Aquaman Vs Superman.
  • Phrosty - August 17, 2012 10:53 p.m.

"Mario basically invented sidescrollers." total bull.. what about pitfall?
  • leecosanostra - August 18, 2012 5:14 a.m.

Thats bollocks about sonic levels are made to be raced through as fast as possible. What about Sonic 1,2,3 and Knuckles, where chaos emeralds have to be collected? You can't just race through the stages, or you wouldn't be able to finish the game completely?!
  • Gamer_Geek - August 18, 2012 7:58 a.m.

I always preferred Mario to Sonic, the worlds and enemies have so much more creativity. I'm with Mario all the way with this debate. Aren't we all too old to be arguing about Mario and Sonic anyway?
  • miles-prowd - August 19, 2012 2:31 a.m.

Okay, look, I don't care what you say, but Sonic would kill Mario if they were in a fight to the death. Seriously. Look it up on youtube.com (deathbattle mario and sonic). But I will give Mario his props, he does put up a very good fight, making the fight last almost 10 minutes, but he does eventually lose. So, yeah, Mario would prove to be a good match, but would get pwned by Sonic. Now, I don't expect this to end the debate, but like the belives of Justin B., the belivers of Mario will continue to support him. And I have to say, I'm a beliver of Sonic, but I repect all opinons. I'm ust saying that there's proof. If you don'y like it, I don't blame you. I'm just saying. Later. =3
  • miles-prowd - August 19, 2012 2:44 a.m.

"Nintendo Nintendo, 2ND Genisis, back in the day we measured greatness in bits. Sonic the hedgehog, or Super Mario, only one can be the king of old-school consoles."